SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is insurance required to enter Bahamas? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97382-insurance-required-enter-bahamas.html)

Lake Superior Sailor 03-09-2013 04:06 PM

Re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Wow check progressive insurance for liablity; costs me around 100.00 a year, marinas accept it , and I stay away from other boats......Dale Besides if you get into it with something, it will more than likely be bigger then you and you just won't be!!

deniseO30 03-09-2013 04:34 PM

Still not sure what side of the brain all this came from HL. Your logic makes sense to you I guess.

My boat is worth less the 10K and I have it insured. Insur, YC membership, and boat US membership cost me less then 1 K a year.

Good luck!

Bradhamlet 03-09-2013 05:16 PM

What do you think a few gallons of diesel would cost you to clean up? Here in So.Cal I could only imagine how much this would be. Maybe just a little liability insurance wouldn't be too much? Maybe it could be done without the survey, don't know but my boat is worth less than $20,000(shabby looking built in 1981) and I would not own it without insurance, at least liability. But to each his own.

Brad
Lancer 36

Frogwatch 03-09-2013 07:30 PM

If your boat is paid for and not worth much,, the only reason to have insurance is to protect any significant assetts you may have. If you have no such assetts, then you are "judgement proof" and I'd forego insurance. Basically, poor people have no need for insurance.

msmith10 03-09-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 1000546)
If your boat is paid for and not worth much,, the only reason to have insurance is to protect any significant assetts you may have. If you have no such assetts, then you are "judgement proof" and I'd forego insurance. Basically, poor people have no need for insurance.

An excellent example of taking personal responsibility.
Health insurance is one thing-- there are people who truly can't afford to buy health insurance, and living isn't really an optional activity. But sailing is optional, and you should be willing to pay the price of admission, which in my thinking, includes coverage to protect others against your mistakes.

Silvio 03-09-2013 07:42 PM

I see this thread heading off to an obscure corner for a time out soon, but before it goes, does anyone know of any country that requires proof of insurance during C&I check in?

Silvio 03-09-2013 07:56 PM

Just to toss out there that there really isn't a state of being judgement proof. A judgement can be collected even if a debtor has no current assets. Wage garnishments, future earnings, inheritance, etc. all come into play once a judgement is entered.

There is a series of steps that could even lead to an arrest warrant being issued for failing to pay a judgement. Takes time and effort, but if an uninsured, "judgement proof" boater hits the wrong attorney's boat, I can envision a scenario where it could go down that road.

TQA 03-10-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvio (Post 1000552)
I see this thread heading off to an obscure corner for a time out soon, but before it goes, does anyone know of any country that requires proof of insurance during C&I check in?

Italy requires 3rd party insurance certificate to be shown on entry and carried on board.

Capt.Alex 03-10-2013 11:36 AM

No requirement for insurance in the Bahamas. Never had a marina ask for insurance if only a transient. The only time I have needed to show proof of insurance is when signing a lease for long term dockage or when being hauled or doing major work at a yard. That being said, I would not want to have to pay for an Awlgrip job on a Megayacht out of pocket.

Silvio 03-10-2013 08:17 PM

I stopped at a very upscale, very new, resort marina last year in Nassau. They asked for my insurance info when I made the reservation and made a copy of my policy when I arrived at my slip. That was the only time I was asked as a transient. Bahamas is the only foreign country I have visited by personal boat and was not asked at check in.