SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is insurance required to enter Bahamas? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/97382-insurance-required-enter-bahamas.html)

Harborless 03-08-2013 08:27 AM

Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

I have searched high and low and found no black and white answer.
Is insurance required to go sailing in the bahamas? My boat is 27' and 1979... I dont want insurance.
Can I go without?
Yes, I know that some marinas will not left me use their facilities, but I want to know if I can clear customs.

chucklesR 03-08-2013 08:41 AM

re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Insurance is not a requirement.
BoatUS estimates that over 60 percent of boat owners have no insurance.

davidpm 03-08-2013 08:44 AM

Harborless
You will get better answers quicker if the title of your thread includes your question or at least part of it.

deniseO30 03-08-2013 10:19 AM

No Insurance...... From what side of your brain are you rationalizing this?

MarkofSeaLife 03-08-2013 10:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No insurance needed.
You don't want to go into the marinas here anyway all too expensive.

Agree that you need to do better thread titles if you want the better people of the forum to answer you.

Faster 03-08-2013 10:45 AM

Re: Is insurance required to enter Bahamas?

Harbourless... fixed title for you. Looks like you got your answer though!

Frogwatch 03-08-2013 11:03 AM

No insurance? That's nuts. Even with an ancient boat of no value you are liable for stuff you do, personally liable. Say you take someone aboard and they fall and get hurt getting aboard. Guess what, you get sued. Does your homeowners insurance cover this? Probably not.
Unfortunately, I have found no company willing to issue liability only insurance for the Bahamas so I have had to get full coverage. For my 28' boat, it is about $700/yr because she has little value.

msmith10 03-08-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 999983)
No insurance? That's nuts. Even with an ancient boat of no value you are liable for stuff you do, personally liable. Say you take someone aboard and they fall and get hurt getting aboard. Guess what, you get sued.

Aside from the issue of getting sued, which some people don't care about because they have no assets, there is the issue of taking responsibility for your own actions. You need to have the ability to recompense others for their damages due to your own mistakes or mishaps. To not be able to do so is irresponsible and implies that you just don't give a d*mn about the other guy.

waterwks4me 03-08-2013 12:35 PM

Frogwatch, are you really paying $700 a year for boat insurance on a 28' boat. Even if your boat is brand new I am surprised you are paying that much a year for a boat that size. Just a suggestion: you may want to shop around. You might find it cheaper with the same coverage elsewhere.

kjango 03-08-2013 12:49 PM

Did you ask if you had to have insurance to go to the Bahamas.....or did you ask .....Do I have to have insurance to go to the Bahamas & please feel free to make assumptions about my situation & make judgments about things in my life that are none of your f$%king business .

msmith10 03-08-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjango (Post 1000015)
Did you ask if you had to have insurance to go to the Bahamas.....or did you ask .....Do I have to have insurance to go to the Bahamas & please feel free to make assumptions about my situation & make judgments about things in my life that are none of your f$%king business .

That's right. It's none of your f$%king business unless he happens to hit your boat. If he asked if he needed insurance to drive a car, I'd make the same assumptions and judgements. Individualism and personal freedom are great things, as long as someone also assumes personal responsibility. If he has some moral issue against buying $300-500k worth of liability insurance, that's fine, as long as he has $300-500k in the bank ready to pay off on his own. Otherwise, he's saying he's ready to shirk his responsibilities.

Frogwatch 03-08-2013 01:09 PM

Quite frankly, I forget the exact amount but I know it is at least $600 for my 1981 28' S2 for FULL coverage. However, I have now let it lapse as she is out of the water and is now Bahamas registered. So, I wi8ll see what I can get when I put her back in.
My Insurance (BOATUS) stipulated I have her out of water during hurricane season although I could put her back in with reduced coverage. This was actually a good thing in Marsh HArbor because it meant my boat was first out of the water in June a nd they always had time to set her up properly. During hurricanes the past two years, the yard was filled with boats teh day before the storm that could not be properly secured and they suffered, mine did not suffer.

GMFL 03-08-2013 07:06 PM

Gotta love these insurance threads. People respond to them that YOU need insurance in case you hit MY boat.

Sorry. I buy insurance for ME, not you. You hit my boat I'm covered. DONE.

The OP just wants to know if he needs it to go to the Bahamas. My guess is no, unless he wants to enter a marina.

tommays 03-08-2013 07:16 PM

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...1_08070021.jpg

Having had my boat hit by a thankfully insured boat

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...131_110248.jpg

http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/s...131_111605.jpg

And paying a good bit of my tax dollar to remove a never ending supply of uninsured boats PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IT DOES NOT HAPPEN because it pretty much happens everyday around here

Harborless 03-08-2013 11:21 PM

Well, before I get all p'd off about the totally incorrect assessments regarding the situation let me explain for those curious WHY I ask.
First off, I tried to get insurance already. Both from SeaWorthy who wanted an out-of-water survey and BoatUs which wanted over 1K annual. Why not haul the boat you ask? A few reasons. One, I bought her for 2900. True, while I have put 10K in to her and a dinghy I am tired of shelling out cash for this sort of thing. From having mainsails rip to chainplates break to centerboards snap in two I have had it all and I have fixed it right. Big time, big bucks. Now some insurance company is saying I need some guy to come survey the boat I rebuilt, KEEL UP PEOPLE, to say its OK to be insured for freaking liability? Well, they can shove that 8$ per foot survey because on principle and the fact law does not require it I am not getting it. You wanna come off your price BOATUS im all ears. I pay 700$ annual for my CAR and I drive that daily.
Okay, one pretty much sums it all up but you guys are all like I am some illegal alien for not wanting insurance. I dont want it. What the hell am I paying for? The only reasonable thing you can say is for other people or other peoples boats bc my self and my boat are my responsibility and my workmanship and my damn seamanship or lack thereof.
And so what if I did have an accident, which btw Ive grown up boating so im as likely as most of you or maybe less depending on the number of dock riders out there, to have any sort of accident based on anything. You people who HAVE $30,000 and more dollar boats, get insurance! I would. And when you do, it comes with uninsured boats insurance. So if some 1979 26'4" 3000$ sailboat does do you damage, its really not going to matter much.

The insurance is just one more limitation to people like me. Oh excuse me Denise for not just shelling out another grand for a survey haul out and ridiculous quote that ONLY COVERS ME TO THE SOUTHERN TIP OF THE ABACOS ANYWAY!!!!
I guess cruisers should only be allowed to cruise if they have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Obviously if I had an island packet insurance wouldnt be an issue bc obviously money isnt.
I have spent 10K plus buying cost in 2 yrs on this boat and im not staying at home another summmer because I couldnt afford insurance on my boat. If marinas wont take me fine, I will check ahead of time and plan my routes accordingly.
GO FORTH YE VAGABONDS TO THE SEAS AND FAIR WINDS AND HEED NOT THE WORDS OF THOSE WHO WISH TO KEEP YOU CHAINED
God provides me with my strength to work and brain to think and boat to sail. The money has been a blessing from my hard work and continued dedication. If I were lazy or cutting corners God would not provide thus. I need no other insurance... but would still get it if I owned a boat worth more than $20000. Just sayin God.. Know I love you an all.
I will see you all in the Bahamas this summer.

Harborless 03-08-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMFL (Post 1000171)
Gotta love these insurance threads. People respond to them that YOU need insurance in case you hit MY boat.

Sorry. I buy insurance for ME, not you. You hit my boat I'm covered. DONE.

The OP just wants to know if he needs it to go to the Bahamas. My guess is no, unless he wants to enter a marina.

Bam!, nail on the head.

Harborless 03-08-2013 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmith10 (Post 1000020)
That's right. It's none of your f$%king business unless he happens to hit your boat. If he asked if he needed insurance to drive a car, I'd make the same assumptions and judgements. Individualism and personal freedom are great things, as long as someone also assumes personal responsibility. If he has some moral issue against buying $300-500k worth of liability insurance, that's fine, as long as he has $300-500k in the bank ready to pay off on his own. Otherwise, he's saying he's ready to shirk his responsibilities.

Shirking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like Atlas Shrugg im shirking over here. Jeez. No respect I tells ya.

Faster 03-08-2013 11:32 PM

Best of luck to you HL.... but... had you surveyed (or even had a knowledgeable acquaintance along) pre purchase you may have been dissuaded from buying a boat that was 'cheap' but clearly in need of some serious upgrading, the full extent of which you may have been more aware.. perhaps to the point of passing on this one, and with luck buying one for $6-8K that didn't break and need all that work.. leaving you with $$ left over for 'nice to haves' (like 3rd party insurance).

Anyhow I do wish you luck, and I hope you don't drag anchor into some lawyer with a $60K paint job along the way... just sayin' ;)

FSMike 03-08-2013 11:49 PM

All you folks with such cheap insurance please tell your agents to call me. I pay over $500 annually for liability only on my 40' trimaran. I wouldn't have that if I didn't want to go into a stateside marina occasionally.
$500 buys a lot of cruising supplies.
I guess I could always stay in my house curled up in my bathtub to avoid any potential liability.
Oh, I forgot, my boat is my house. I guess all you lawyers better not anchor too close to me.

kjango 03-09-2013 01:40 PM

Well.....that was fun...lmao

Lake Superior Sailor 03-09-2013 04:06 PM

Wow check progressive insurance for liablity; costs me around 100.00 a year, marinas accept it , and I stay away from other boats......Dale Besides if you get into it with something, it will more than likely be bigger then you and you just won't be!!

deniseO30 03-09-2013 04:34 PM

Still not sure what side of the brain all this came from HL. Your logic makes sense to you I guess.

My boat is worth less the 10K and I have it insured. Insur, YC membership, and boat US membership cost me less then 1 K a year.

Good luck!

Bradhamlet 03-09-2013 05:16 PM

What do you think a few gallons of diesel would cost you to clean up? Here in So.Cal I could only imagine how much this would be. Maybe just a little liability insurance wouldn't be too much? Maybe it could be done without the survey, don't know but my boat is worth less than $20,000(shabby looking built in 1981) and I would not own it without insurance, at least liability. But to each his own.

Brad
Lancer 36

Frogwatch 03-09-2013 07:30 PM

If your boat is paid for and not worth much,, the only reason to have insurance is to protect any significant assetts you may have. If you have no such assetts, then you are "judgement proof" and I'd forego insurance. Basically, poor people have no need for insurance.

msmith10 03-09-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogwatch (Post 1000546)
If your boat is paid for and not worth much,, the only reason to have insurance is to protect any significant assetts you may have. If you have no such assetts, then you are "judgement proof" and I'd forego insurance. Basically, poor people have no need for insurance.

An excellent example of taking personal responsibility.
Health insurance is one thing-- there are people who truly can't afford to buy health insurance, and living isn't really an optional activity. But sailing is optional, and you should be willing to pay the price of admission, which in my thinking, includes coverage to protect others against your mistakes.

Silvio 03-09-2013 07:42 PM

I see this thread heading off to an obscure corner for a time out soon, but before it goes, does anyone know of any country that requires proof of insurance during C&I check in?

Silvio 03-09-2013 07:56 PM

Just to toss out there that there really isn't a state of being judgement proof. A judgement can be collected even if a debtor has no current assets. Wage garnishments, future earnings, inheritance, etc. all come into play once a judgement is entered.

There is a series of steps that could even lead to an arrest warrant being issued for failing to pay a judgement. Takes time and effort, but if an uninsured, "judgement proof" boater hits the wrong attorney's boat, I can envision a scenario where it could go down that road.

TQA 03-10-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvio (Post 1000552)
I see this thread heading off to an obscure corner for a time out soon, but before it goes, does anyone know of any country that requires proof of insurance during C&I check in?

Italy requires 3rd party insurance certificate to be shown on entry and carried on board.

Capt.Alex 03-10-2013 11:36 AM

No requirement for insurance in the Bahamas. Never had a marina ask for insurance if only a transient. The only time I have needed to show proof of insurance is when signing a lease for long term dockage or when being hauled or doing major work at a yard. That being said, I would not want to have to pay for an Awlgrip job on a Megayacht out of pocket.

Silvio 03-10-2013 08:17 PM

I stopped at a very upscale, very new, resort marina last year in Nassau. They asked for my insurance info when I made the reservation and made a copy of my policy when I arrived at my slip. That was the only time I was asked as a transient. Bahamas is the only foreign country I have visited by personal boat and was not asked at check in.

sailmdp 04-04-2013 03:56 PM

I know this issue has probably been resolved, but my 2 cents anyway. This is generic whether it is insurance,fishing, licensing, etc.

I suggest you call every office of the Bahamian govenment to recieve 10 different answers. Then call your local destination office, and you will recieve your eleventh different answer. Then out of frustration just go. Check in to your destination port as required. Then at local port, you will get the 12th, 13th, and 14th different answer to your simple question. Then be ready to pay the highest fee of each of 3 fees given to you by the port officers. Of course pay in US cash because this is the bribe that will get you cleared. Just hope they don't make you get a work permit because of the tool box they saw on your boat.

I haven't had much luck with that corrupt gov. But beautiful islands, and wonderfully friendly people ( until you run low on cash )

c. breeze 04-04-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommays (Post 1000173)

And paying a good bit of my tax dollar to remove a never ending supply of uninsured boats PLEASE DON'T TELL ME IT DOES NOT HAPPEN because it pretty much happens everyday around here

This is surprising to me. What percentage of your tax dollars is allocated to removing derelict vessels?

CapnChuck 04-04-2013 07:46 PM

We are currently in the Bahamas and have been to Bimini, the Berry's and Exumas. Do you need insurance? NO. Will you be ask for insurance? YES, but only in some marinas. Some want a copy and others don't care. The larger marinas in major towns and settlements will probably ask for it. Since we have it, I can't state what will happen if you say, "I don't have any." Chuck

TheWollard 04-06-2013 10:33 AM

Quite a thread... It looks like the question has been answered with only one reference to someone's personal diety.

Several of you mentioned carrying ONLY liability. I didn't know this was an option. I'm investigating insurance costs in Florida with no off-season haulout. This might be a decent option for me this year.

Even with the rancor in this thread, I learned something new. Nice.

tommays 04-06-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c. breeze (Post 1012234)
This is surprising to me. What percentage of your tax dollars is allocated to removing derelict vessels?

I cant say the exact figure but the landfill cost is 5 cents a pound and when ever i do a home project that seems small its runs into hundreds of dollars

Then your paying municipal employees to chop it up as they don't take then in one piece

I will say after sandy it was billions but that the percent spent on boats was tiny

Capt.aaron 04-06-2013 11:53 AM

I care so much for the other guy, that I would never and have never come close to ever hitting him. I care so much that I never move in tight quarters faster than I can fend off with a finger. I care so much that I use huge anchors and over sized chain, over kill chafe gear. I set them by hand and dive them morning and evening. I care so much that in over 20 years I've never come close to messing with some ones bizzness. I care so much for the other guy, that I made sure I was fully trained in the art of boat handling before I went out and started handling my boat. Insurance in a foreign country is a false senese of security. look at the trouble that CKtalons girl had last year when she got hit here in the states. They will fight it tooth and nail to find a way not to pay for your mistake. I've Never had insurance in the Bahamas on my boat, and don't recall ever being asked for it any of the marinas I pulled into. The irresponsable guy is the one zooming around the marina and anchorage, in gear when he's already moving forward at 3 time the speed he needs to be because he's a self taught sailor who can afford to be a ninkapoop because, what the @#!*% , he has insurance. he's the one who does'nt care enough about the other guy to move at bare steerage way. Insurance is minding what you are doing to insure that you don't do dammage to other peoples property.

Sal Paradise 04-06-2013 01:03 PM

I know this isn't the question, but for anyone who is debating about liability, I was able to attach my boat to my homeowners umbrella liability for almost nothing. My agent then wrote me a letter saying Kemper liability coverage was covering the boat in case a marina asks. Still, i would rather anchor next to someone careful with no insurance than a fool who has it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harborless (Post 1000264)
GO FORTH YE VAGABONDS TO THE SEAS AND FAIR WINDS AND HEED NOT THE WORDS OF THOSE WHO WISH TO KEEP YOU CHAINED

Can someone tell me where this quote comes from? Google is no help. Thanks.

Capt.aaron 04-06-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt.aaron (Post 1012984)
I care so much for the other guy, that I would never and have never come close to ever hitting him. I care so much that I never move in tight quarters faster than I can fend off with a finger. I care so much that I use huge anchors and over sized cahin, over kill chafe gear. I set them by hand and dive them morning and evening. I care so much that in over 20 years I've never come close to messing with some ones bizzness. I care so much for the other guy, that I made sure I was fully trained in the art of boat handling before I went out and start handling my boat. Insurance in a foreign country is a false senese of security. look at the trouble that CKtalons girl had last year when she got hit here in the states. They will fight it tooth and nail to find a way not to pay for your mistake. I've Never had insurance in the Bahamas on my boat, and don't recall ever being asked for it any of the marinas I pulled into. The irresponsable guy is the one zooming around the marina and anchorage, in gear when he's already moving forward at 3 time the speed he needs to be because he's a self taught sailor who can afford to be a ninkapoop because, what the @#!*% , he has insurance. he's the one who does'nt care enough about the other guy to move at bear steerage way. Insurance is minding what you are doing to insure that you don't do dammage to other peoples property.

That being said, I have contemplated shopping for liability insurance this year. Mostly just to show that I actually give a sh!t. But I''m relocating to Central America. I'd like to hear some story's from people who have had an insurance company pay out in the Bahamas, or another country, what kind of policy it was, and what happened. ya know, the particulars.

capta 04-06-2013 07:44 PM

I'd love to pay even a grand a year for decent insurance, but @ 6 grand a year to bet against myself, I don't see the logic.
When I was operating vessels commercially, carrying passengers on COI vessels, my insurance agent once quipped "your insurance is to pay for the lawyers, not for any incident!".
If the insurance companies would get a tiny bit realistic and give discounts for living aboard, licensing and experience it might help. I would guess that 90% or more of the boats damaged or destroyed by Sandy, for instance, were unattended vessels.
Like Capt AAron, we don't worry about our ground tackle, nor do we run at speed through a crowded anchorage. Though we sail from anchorage to anchorage, if there are vessels around us, while picking up or dropping, the engine is running, if not in gear.
Our biggest fear is the other guy hitting us, not our possibility of doing damage to someone else. I'll put her aground first! If I do damage your vessel then the 6 grand a year I haven't tossed down the drain is in the bank for you and I will make it right. I will take responsibility for my actions.
Liability would be nice, but the inherent risk (insurance wise) of a sport like sailing is assumed when someone gets aboard your boat and unless they could show negligence, they would be hard pressed to win a suit (also from the agent mentioned above).
For us, it still boils down to betting 6 grand a year that we will screw up.