SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Popularity of center cockpits?

7K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  jorgenl 
#1 · (Edited)
One day my wife and I would like to go cruising. A few years ago we cruised the Bahamas on a hunter 45 center cockpit and really enjoyed the layout of the boat. The rear cabin was large enough that you could walk around as if it were a bedroom in a house. My wife really enjoyed the rear deck where she could lay out and sun herself.

As I look on yacht world, there are very few cc's offered that are recently constructed - ie. within the last 10 years. Additionally, it seems most of the cc's that are available in the mid 40 ft range are hunter passages.

Why are there not more modern cc's being manufactured? I like the deck salons, however the rear cabin seems tight with the ceiling a few feet above the mattress. Seems like it would feel like a cave at night. Thoughts would be very welcomed.

#3 ·
My guess is that putting the aft cabin under the aft cockpit has become more popular. Several "advantages" to that layout - engines are smaller so they don't benefit as much from the big engine room under a C/C, people generally prefer an A/C on deck - sail visibility, drier etc. C/C doesn't generally work as well for boarding from a sugar scoop, A/C interiors feel bigger than C/C layouts - less corridor space. Look at the differences in the interiors from a womans perspective and I think you'll have your answer.

Just MHO. :)

#27 · (Edited)
C/C doesn't generally work as well for boarding from a sugar scoop, A/C interiors feel bigger than C/C layouts - less corridor space.
and C/C's typically have more freeboard than an A/C, which could make maneuvering into a slip more exciting in the C/C when the wind pipes up.

[EDIT] Although I gotta say that I like the looks of the S/V Chuckles.

#4 ·
The folks I have met who have a center cockpit all seemed to be quite happy with it, so I believe it to be a matter of personal preference. The comments already offered are quite valid, though, and should help with your decision. As to inside space, my personal experience is that we spend very little "awake" time below - other than in the galley (and even then) - but, again, that will depend on the crew and whether or not you have a decent dodger/umbrella set up to keep you comfortable in most weather.

#7 ·
I remember the boston boat show in 84 they had a 36' CC S2 there.
I fell in love w/ that boat. If I had money to burn, the chase would be on for a Bene 36 cc. For me there's something about the deck space & the rear stateroom on a cc that very appealing.

#8 · (Edited)
In prior days on centercockpit commonly had a queen berth aft and forward. Neither comfy in a seaway whereas quarterberth was comfy spot and no leeclothe/bundleboard needed. Now a days with broad stern of ac boats can either have two staterooms or quarterberth and multipurpose area ( workroom etc.) in aft portion of current designs. Still, although HR is pushing a new line of ac boats they sure sell abunch of cc boats and even revised their 43.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments.
Svauspicious, I also wondered the same thing - maybe people who buy them (cc's) just dont sell them. My wife and I plan to attend the Annapolis boat showin the fall and will look at more aft cabin boats - maybe there is an aft cabin that is close to a cc in space in the rear birth.

Other than the passage, can anyone recommend another cc?

Many thanks.

#15 ·
I had the same experience. I didn't really consider center cockpits originally. Other requirements drove me to at least look at a few. I simply couldn't find an aft cockpit boat that sailed as well and was as comfortable below.

Center cockpits may not be for everyone but to my surprise they are definitely for me.

I like and dislike them. I like the cleverness of them.. but as I want to liveaboard in the near future... I want the biggest continous cabin I can get
Why? I'm not challenging your conclusion, just curious on why that is what you want.

#12 ·
I think it depends on your usage. If it was a long term cruiser/liveaboard with a family, that rear cabin can be a godsend with kids. Gives them a place of their "own" (or vice versa.. gives the parents a place of their own)

But for a couple... an aft cockpit would be better.

For more than a couple cruising.. say two couples.. perfect.

I like and dislike them. I like the cleverness of them.. but as I want to liveaboard in the near future... I want the biggest continous cabin I can get

#14 ·
I agree, I think the CC design is a great one. However, many people don't like the look of a CC. I've heard them called "wedding cakes". I've also seen a lot of comments that CC's don't really "work" until you're over 35 feet, because of the practicalities associated with where the stairs come in, galley layout, etc. I think that now that manufacturers have figured out how to squeeze aft cabins into aft cockpit boats, they've found a found a formula that meets a larger segment of the market, especially in the 27-35' range.

#17 ·
I've had both center and aft cockpit boats. Sailed a center cockpit which was a 52 for 10 years. Nice. As indicated, great for separating master stateroom from guests, and room for a nice master/head aft. Now sailing a 38 aft cockpit, also nice, but certainly not as roomy.

That said, I think there is a minimum size boat on which center cockpit works for a number of reasons.

1. For spray, and comfort on deck it's better to drive from a position well aft of the bow. The shorter the boat, the closer you are to the pointy end, even closer when sitting in the center.

2. Wedding cake effect is amplified on a shorter boat. You gotta go up to get head room/engine room below. Also, this sitting high might be less comfortable in a sea way especially if your boat is short and light.

3. You need enough room below to really get the forward and aft cabins with enough size to be useful.

I'm not sure I can pinpoint a minimum size that works. Clearly Oysters, Little Harbor, Bristol, Hylas and others build or have built some centers that look great, and are world cruisers. Most of these are high 40's and up. IMHO they work best when they are relatively large. This is all mission dependent. YMMV.

#20 ·
For center cockpits, I am partial to the Hylas 46. Also look at Tayana, Morgan, and Passport. For a roomy Aft cockpit boat, the Catalina 47 is hard to beat as far as interior volume goes and a great cockpit. I like the visibility forward and the island queen stateroom that a CC offers. I just bought my second Cc the first was a 1990 Catalina/Morgan 44.

#21 ·
My buddy has an Irwin 44' and the passageway aft is below the cockpit. There is a benefit with the cc when it comes to docking I will admit. When you stand on the aft deck the sheer size of his boat is intimidating but from the cockpit it really isn't so daunting.
He is the one that hooked me into this hobby after sailing his boat...it was a little tough to weather but it was the first thing that I sailed since the small boats as a kid so I will chalk it up to inexperience.

#22 ·
When we were looking for our current boat for extended cruising we started by looking at aft cockpit boats in the 42 to 44 foot range. To get any sort of room in the aft cabin they all had enormous bridge decks - if you can call it a bridge deck if it is at deck level and six feet long. One, Hylas 42?, actually had two cockpits with a footwell forward where the companionway was. A Swan 43 had an enormous number of steps (9 or 10) from the deck to the interior after you left the cockpit and went forward several feet. Can't imagine doing that routinely on a passage at night when it is honking. This was just a deal breaker and it was on some really nice boats. A CC makes sense in the 37 to 50 foot range if you want a really nice aft cabin.

BTW, some older Moodys in the 34' range have done a remarkable job of building a CC of this size that does not look like a wedding cake.

#25 ·
Center of motion is higher. That factors in in comfort in the seaway.Not as much an issue on larger boats.

Whats with the lexan in the hull are those really windows?

dave

#32 ·
Dave, you can have both a big salon and a nice aft berth.

Sure, my cockpit is higher than a aft cockpit, and I'm a lot drier because of it. Motion comfort is only a factor in a rolling side to side sea which is easily fixed by a slight change of course to either take the sea more on the nose, or put some more wind/heel on the boat to firm it up.

I'd have to guess, but I think my cockpit from floor to coaming is about 3.5 feet deep, the center well/floor is over the engine compartment. On the starboard side the passage way to the aft cabin is 'under' the coaming, full 6'3" tall. On the port side that area is used for the aft head.

I think it's nice to have two heads, one for us, and one for guests/wet storage.

Here's the view on mine from the salon looking out the hatch. Notice how low it is

Notice I don' t have an engine "compartment" - the engine is under the steps where the cabinet is. The top of the hatch is about shoulder height on me - making it easy to pass stuff up to the cockpit.

#35 ·
Yours is one of the few CC under 38 I like. Designed that way from the beginning. Perfect for cruising or liveaboard. Remember I am not against the design...just that its applied haphazzardly in some applications

If your boat is to be for cruising a second head is a waste of space. I would rather have the addition storage space, but if my next boat had the two, I would turn the second into a pantry and storage. Besides How many times do you and guests use the head at the same time? A well designed boat with one head will have a seperate shower compartment for a wet locker and the head would be located close to the companionway steps.

No boat has every feature perfect ( well rarely). Its a compromise.

#33 ·
For what we used our old boat for - day cruises and an occasional overnight - the aft cockpit was a better layout for us. Center cockpits on anything smaller than 40 ft felt a little cramped - just my personal opinion, I'm sure many will disagree or find exceptions.

If we were living aboard, though, the aft berth of a CC would be a huge bonus. But for now, we'll take a larger cockpit to boat ratio.

#34 ·
Chuckles,

How about a picture showing the view belowdeck looking forward?

#38 ·
Nah Dave, it's more about I don't quests going through my bedroom to get to the bathroom, that's why it's nice to have an alternative.

Remember, it's a home (or will be).
Gottcha...your one head is an insuite not designed to allow entry from the salon I assume.

#37 ·
We have 2.5 bathrooms in my home. With a family of 4, it is surprising how often all the bathrooms are full. My wife and I rented a 1 bathroom apartment years ago, and again, it was surprising how often we "competed" for use of the bathroom. If you are going to live aboard, 2 heads makes a lot of sense to me, unless you are alone.

#39 · (Edited)
A one bathroom apartment, that is small!

I think a couple should not have issues with one head. keep in mind it is a boat, not a house. We grew accustomed to our space and luxury in the house, the boat is more simple. I believe life should be as simple as possible. Of curse in a case like chucks with the second head only accessible from the aft state room, then it makes more sense to keep it. A boat head is so much smaller that people generally spend less time there, so there is not so much competition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.