Looking for info- Grampion 27 i acquired - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2018 Thread Starter

Looking for info- Grampion 27 i acquired

It came with a propery. Looks Intact, all rigging -appear to be multiple (old) sets of everything well packed. Hasn’t seen use in many years.

I am not into sailing, but love old boats. Is this something worth putting effort into? Something to part out? Or something to just hope someone would be willing to haul away for free? Keep in mind- hauling is a 10 mile water tow or sail to closest road. Eastern shore, georgian bay.

Looks like there has been some work at some point at the keel- not sure what state she is in. Been tarped on an old marine railway for quite some time. Long enough for some lichen on the hull..

Will try to get in and get model details, assuming there is a plaque.

Thanks for any info you may have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-12-2018

Re: Looking for info- Grampion 27 i acquired

Is it a 26 or 27?

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...26-1182-1.html
post #3 of 7 Old 06-12-2018
Old soul

I think you mean Grampian 26 (never heard of a 27). In any case, they are good, solid, simple boats. But sitting on the hard, exposed to elements, for a long time, will have taken its toll. Itís possible yours is worth trying to sell, but itís also possible itís worth more to the scrap dealer. Hard to say without seeing it. You wonít get a lot for it, either way.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
I think you mean Grampian 26 (never heard of a 27).
Yes they made a 27 but they also made the more popular 26..

https://www.practical-sailor.com/rev...26-1182-1.html

Last edited by aa3jy; 06-12-2018 at 02:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to aa3jy For This Useful Post:
MikeOReilly (06-12-2018)
post #5 of 7 Old 06-12-2018

Grampian made pretty good boats IMO, but they do not sell for a lot of money. I sold my Grampian 30 about 5ish years ago for $5k after a year and a half on the market. It was in pretty decent shape, turn key for typical week end sailors.

A quick scan of classifieds I see Grampian 26's ranging from $100-$3200. I am not familiar with the Grampian 27 though.

Last edited by Arcb; 06-12-2018 at 04:27 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-12-2018

I had a grampion 26 back in the 90's solid simple boat. The deck is plywood cored -- so you could be dealing with all sorts of delam.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlsailor View Post
I had a grampion 26 back in the 90's solid simple boat. The deck is plywood cored -- so you could be dealing with all sorts of delam.
We also owned a Grampian 26 in the 1990s for a couple of years. We did quite a bit of work on it (All dealing with damage from water penetration - Deck Delamination around the mast and bulkhead where one of the shrouds attached beyond the through-deck fitting.

We enjoyed the boat for weekending and vacations. For it's size it has a roomy interior.

If you enjoy projects, have time for them and are interested in sailing and/or living on a boat for vacations and weekends - you could put a few thousand into it that you would never recover and simply write off the cost as entertainment expense.

Then, give the boat away when you are no longer using it. Or, you could try to give it away now, but depending on the condition, there might not be any takers!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in