Not sure what model I have... - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter

Not sure what model I have...

I have a 1976 Grampian 26. But....mine doesn't look like the others I see and doesn't meet the same specs that are published. I feel like I'm missing something.

Mine does not have a cut out in the transom for an outboard. Instead my outboard is mounted on the port side of the transom. Mines never had an inboard.

My rudder is also transom mounted. Not the typical built in spade that's underneath.

Finally, I see that there's a model with a 3 foot draft and then one with a centerboard with a deeper drafter. Mine is a fixed keel but more than 3ft.

Any help with identifying which model I have would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter

Oh...and I forgot to mention. It has a wheel, not a tiller (which seems different with this boat)
post #3 of 8 Old 04-16-2019

Re: Not sure what model I have...

Grampian 7.9 maybe.

Edit: Got the name wrong, its called a Discovery 7.9. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/discovery-79-grampian

Last edited by Arcb; 04-16-2019 at 11:35 AM.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to see what the differences in the two are and compare to my boat. I wonder if I find a serial number or something on the boat if I can cross reference it somehow
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2019

If she was built after 1975 their is a decent chance she might be the 7.9 model.

Also, the boats look different. The Discovery has higher decks, and higher freeboard, which makes her look like a bigger boat. Plus, she has no outboard well and a transom hung rudder and a draft of almost 4 feet.

I think the 7.9 was an updated version of the G26, in the mid 70s Canada was switching from imperial to metric, and 26 feet is 7.9 meters, so I guess that's what they called it.

The only thing that puzzles me is why some one would put wheel steering on a boat that size with a transom hung rudder. It might be an aftermarket thing, I think some folks find wheel steering a little easier on their backs/necks. I had a Grampian 30 where the P.O.had installed an aftermarket pedestal and wheel steering. I kind of liked it on that boat, so maybe you will too.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter

I was told that it's a '76 so sounds like it may be a discovery. I wonder if there's any dead give aways? Like, if there's no transom cut out....does that mean for sure that it's a discovery?

The wheel is after market. I found documents saying so much on the boat.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter

Here are some pics .... Grampian 26 or Discovery 7.9? https://imgur.com/gallery/4M7fzWk
post #8 of 8 Old 04-17-2019

Well, it certainly looks like a G26, not the Discovery 7.9 model.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in