My Return to Sailing! Video: Laser 2 from Anna Maria Island to Passage Key - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarpeAquam

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 03-20-2019 Thread Starter

My Return to Sailing! Video: Laser 2 from Anna Maria Island to Passage Key

Here is the video: https://youtu.be/HJFkEJErfc8

This winter, I bought a 1986 Laser 2 sailboat and finally got it out on the water on our spring break trip to Anna Maria Island! I've been to AMI many times but never been able to make it out to Passage Key. We put in at the Kingfish Boat Ramp and with extremely light winds, it took us two hours to sail 5.6 nautical miles before we finally made it the first day, but it was definitely worth it. The water is clear, the sand is white, and it feels like a miniature tropical island!

We sailed back to the Bayfront Park on Anna Maria Island that evening, which is about four miles closer to Passage Key than the boat ramp. With the Laser 2, it's very easy to pull it on shore and I was even able to load it onto the trailer from there. Winds were much stronger the second day and we made it back to Passage key from the park in 30 minutes over 1.8NM. This time we sailed down wind from the west onto the island, through 2-3 foot sandy shallows. Emily and I snorkeled and laid out and enjoyed the beach, and also learned that the west side of the island is mostly visited by nudists, so that was a new experience!

I also sailed for about 45 minutes by myself after unloading our beach gear, and really wanted to see how fast the boat could go. Unfortunately after tacking out to make a run, the jib block broke off of the mast and dropped (at 2:58). I realized the previous owner had it tied up with a rope instead of a shackle, so I should have checked that closer. I was able to get up to 9.3 knots before the jib came down. It is a very fun boat to sail! I'm definitely looking forward to getting it back out in stronger wind where I can push it.

This is the first dinghy sailboat I've owned, so I'm still figuring things out on it. I sailed sunfish and small boats as a kid in Boy Scouts, and went to the BSA's Florida Sea Base twice. I fell in love with sailing from that experience, and bought a Starwind 22 after college. I ended up selling that boat after many good years of sailing it, so this Laser 2 is my first step back into sailing more, and I'm hoping to go on many more adventures with it very soon.
KayakerChuck likes this.

1986 Laser 2 | Lake Lemon, Indiana | Carpe Aquam!
(Previously posting as LemonHead)

Last edited by CarpeAquam; 03-20-2019 at 10:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-20-2019

Re: My Return to Sailing! Video: Laser 2 from Anna Maria Island to Passage Key

Nice camera work!

I really like Laser 2s. I sailed Laser 2s and Albacores in Boy Scouts and always thought the Laser 2 was the better all around boat.

Good stuff.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-20-2019 Thread Starter

Re: My Return to Sailing! Video: Laser 2 from Anna Maria Island to Passage Key

Thanks! It's a new boat to me, and my first dinghy sailboat. I was able to have fun with it, but I'm looking forward to a windy day to really see what it can do. It's a great size to move around and have fun, and easy to trailer and setup by myself.

1986 Laser 2 | Lake Lemon, Indiana | Carpe Aquam!
(Previously posting as LemonHead)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in