Suggestions Please for Great Lakes Bucket List Cruise - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 Old 03-22-2019
Old soul

Re: Suggestions Please for Great Lakes Bucket List Cruise

Do you have to take the boat south? Can you keep the boat in the GL and keep the Florida house? If so, why not live on the boat in the summer, cruising the the GLs, and then winter down south.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 Old 03-22-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVV View Post
Side trip...

Torch Lake (East of Grand Traverse Bay) seems interesting. It looks like it may be possible to get there in the dink, via several canals and another lake. Anyone know the accessibility?

Thanks.
I dunno, looks sketchy!

I know you can get into Lake Charlevoix, there's a very active sailing community there.

Portage Lake by Onekama is kind of boring, but the Portage Point Resort is very nice.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #13 of 23 Old 03-22-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Do you have to take the boat south? Can you keep the boat in the GL and keep the Florida house? If so, why not live on the boat in the summer, cruising the the GLs, and then winter down south.
That is a possibility. Hard to predict the future, but we could leave the boat up north some winters and bring it down some winters.

post #14 of 23 Old 03-23-2019
1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Side trip...

Torch Lake (East of Grand Traverse Bay) seems interesting. It looks like it may be possible to get there in the dink, via several canals and another lake. Anyone know the accessibility?

Thanks.
If you wish to take the dinghy to get to Torch Lake you will have to portage it around the Hydro dam which is at the entrance to Elk Lake from the East Bay. Once you do that, you can spend the better part of an entire day motoring up to Torch Lake and back. There is a narrow, but navigational channel from Elk to Torch Lake, there are stumps, but the water is crystal clear and the channel is somewhat marked. Boats use this channel all the time. There are not a lot of places to stop along the way, but the lakes are some of the prettiest in NA. Be aware that Torch Lake can be very cold, it is very deep and does not get all that warm, except by "the Sandbar" on Torch, which is a party mecca on the 4th of July(stay away)

Other nice harbors on the East side of Lake Michigan that you might wish to visit if you get the chance, starting north and heading south, not going to mention other islands and such previously mentioned:
Leland: Nice little harbor but no room to anchor out. Nice little town to poke around in.

Frankfort: Very nice bay, you can anchor out, or get a transient slip. Right downtown location, very charming.

Portage Lake: great stopover to drop the hook, be away that the bottom drops very fast and it get's very deep. You can drop the hook on the west end by Portage Point Inn, or get a slip for the night, not much to do otherwise, although the beach is a short walk, and is very nice.

Manistee: Another nice city, you can get a slip on the channel and be right downtown. Or go into the bay through the drawbridge and anchor out.

Ludington: very nice, you can get a slip or anchor out. The downtown is right there and you can spend some time just poking around.

Pentwater: Great place to stop, anchor out or get a slip, once again, downtown is right there..

White Lake: Nice stop, not much to do, but anchor out..good layover spot.

Muskegon: Great inland lake for just about anything. Torreson Marine for slips and for any maintenance you need. Get a slip or anchor out.

Grand Haven: Nice downtown right there, you can tie off on the seawall right downtown for free, although be aware it can get rolly depending on the wave direction coming down the channel. Across the river is a nice marina, from there you can get a ride to downtown.

Holland: Very nice bay, but not close to downtown. There are several marinas that you can get a slip, or you can anchor out and motor in for dinner(Boatwerks for example).

Saugatuck: Fantastic place to stop, either anchor out, or get a slip. Great town, very touristy, but lots to look at, great dining right there.

South Haven: fun downtown right there, transient slip is your only option.
Minnesail, PeterVV and DeepDish like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
The Following User Says Thank You to SV Siren For This Useful Post:
PeterVV (03-24-2019)
post #15 of 23 Old 03-23-2019
Badger Sailor

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm going to copy them into my notebook.

The where-to-end-the-summer waffling has to do with changing lifestyles. We're retiring and we already have a place in Florida where we used to go to escape the cold for a couple of weeks, especially near the holidays. Now we are planning on that being our primary residence starting next winter, but we hate the Florida summer heat even more than the Michigan winter cold. That's why we were going to spend (at least) this summer on the boat on the Great Lakes. But that is a lot longer than we are used to spending on the boat. Figured one of two things:

(1) We could be still having a blast sailing as fall arrives. In this case we would sail the boat down to Florida for the winter. The Keys, Bahamas, etc. Kinda been a dream of mine. But it would be a long way back to do another summer in the great lakes. Yet, we have to go somewhere to escape the summer heat!

(2) We could be burned out and so we would put the boat on the hard for winter '19-'20, enjoy Florida from land for a couple of months. Come spring 2020, two things again:

(A) We are ready again to sail. Do more Great Lakes.
(B) We are still burned out, sell the boat.

I guess the answer is to get started and see what happens.
Peter,

You are at a point in your life similar to us . . . ten years ago. We live in WI and winter in FL in the Englewood/Punta Gorda area on the Gulf side. We explored the exact same living concept you are considering.

We have fresh water boats and sail in an environment that generates relatively little maintenance. Salt water sailing is hard on a boat compared to what you experience here. Operational costs out in hurricane country, along with FL's increasingly hostile attitude toward (lingering) transient boaters convinced us that it was better to lease when we wanted to sail FL waters.

I would enjoy your first full season here on Lake Michigan. It will give you a feel for extended cruising while living on a boat. And you will be doing it in a relatively safe (close to home) environment.
PeterVV and DeepDish like this.

Paul
`99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 WiTCHCRAFT
Milwaukee, WI
Sailing Lake Michigan and the Great Lakes
The Following User Says Thank You to MSN2Travelers For This Useful Post:
PeterVV (03-24-2019)
post #16 of 23 Old 04-02-2019

Awesome topic. Thanks for posting the question and also thanks to those who responded.

My wife and I are in a similar situation. But reversed. OK, mostly similar, but we're already in Florida.

We're in the process of retiring, and so tired of the Florida summer heat. We're looking to spend our summers back in cooler climes. Great Lakes were first to come to mind (we're from there) but New England is certainly on the table. Loved hanging out in Traverse City. Always hoped to get an opportunity to sail there.

Downsized boats 20 years ago being too busy to spend much time on the boat and living too far inland. Going to upsize again. Figured we buy up north rather than spend the whole season just getting there.
post #17 of 23 Old 04-02-2019

Quote:
You prefer quiet coves, scenic vistas, clear water, swimming, good food, but don't have too much use for festivals and social gatherings. Obviously you don't need to maintain a very strict timetable, but you want to put together an overall plan to hit the best of the best, at the right time of summer. What sort of itinerary / routing would you suggest?

3-2-1 go.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would anyone like to extend what has already been written to comment on "must visit" restaurants, museums, river walks, and gardens in the (northern-ish) Great Lakes? My wife and I are also not fond of crowds but I think we might be interested in slightly less remote venues than Peter.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-02-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDish View Post
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but would anyone like to extend what has already been written to comment on "must visit" restaurants, museums, river walks, and gardens in the (northern-ish) Great Lakes? My wife and I are also not fond of crowds but I think we might be interested in slightly less remote venues than Peter.
Some places i have enjoyed:

-Fort William Historic Park, Thunder Bay

-Whitefish Point Lighthouse and Museum, Lake Superior

-Mackinac Island

-Cove Island and Flower Pot Island Lake Huron

-Discovery Harbour and St Marie Amongst the Hurons Georgian Bay.

I have some favourites in the Lower Lakes too.
MikeOReilly and DeepDish like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Arcb For This Useful Post:
DeepDish (04-02-2019)
post #19 of 23 Old 04-02-2019
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDish View Post
The Great Lakes is a huge cruising area with great variety ranging from true wilderness in northern Lake Superior, to semi-wilderness of the North Channel and Georgian Bay, to dense urban life of the southern Lakes. Take your pick. What kind of cruising do you like?

I’m more intimately familiar with the Canadian shores, but urban cruising along the south shore of Erie might fit your bill. Also, the Lake Ontario north shore is peppered with large cities like Hamilton and Toronto, as well as smaller communities like Whitby, Coburg, Presqu’ile, Trent, Belleville. The Bay of Quinte or the Henderson/Chaumont Bays areas offer a mix of semi-remote and smaller urban cruising. And of course there’s the 1000 Islands with a similar mix of urban and semi-wild.

A guide I can recommend (because I work with them ) is Waterway Guide’s Great Lakes editions. It’s now broken into two (north and south Lakes). Or just spend some time on the free online Explorer tool:
https://www.waterwayguide.com/explor...10&mode=marina

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #20 of 23 Old 04-02-2019

Dock

Thanks for all the info!

I'm just outside of Detroit, and my little 22 footer is looking for a bit of adventure.
PeterVV likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in