First Delivery - SailNet Community
Gulf of Mexico US Coastlines, excluding Florida

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-05-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
First Delivery

My son (16) and I just finished a crewing opportunity delivering a Hunter 38 from Bradenton FL to Destin that included a 24 hour crossing. We were supposed to go to Biloxi MS but engine problems, along with a myriad of other minor issues, ended our trip early.

You can read about it here. I'll be updating in the next day or two to complete the trip's narrative.

Thanks!

Roaming the Mississippi Sound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-05-2015
Lookin' for an excuse ...

Re: First Delivery

I read your blog about the trip. When I used to do deliveries a lot, one of the problems were boats that sat for an extended period of time. Then I would take them out on a delivery and growth inside the diesel fuel tank would break free in a large swell and clog the narrow fuel feed pipe inside the tank. Your description of the engine problem sounds just like it. I assume the delivery captain checked the fuel filter for water and anything else that might clog the feed into the engine but there isn't any way to check the feed pipe.

Not to steal you post, but I've never had any luck with Hunters. I was on a delivery of an older 37 about 10 days ago from NJ to Florida. At least I was until the owner got impatient in the entrance to the Chesapeake and slammed the throttle full while I was in the cabin. Blew the engine - delivery over.

Capt Tony
post #3 of 3 Old 07-05-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to SailingStNick
Re: First Delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTony View Post
I read your blog about the trip. When I used to do deliveries a lot, one of the problems were boats that sat for an extended period of time. Then I would take them out on a delivery and growth inside the diesel fuel tank would break free in a large swell and clog the narrow fuel feed pipe inside the tank. Your description of the engine problem sounds just like it. I assume the delivery captain checked the fuel filter for water and anything else that might clog the feed into the engine but there isn't any way to check the feed pipe.
That's exactly what happened. He changed both fuel filters before we departed Destin and the problem worsened. He has the boat torn apart and is cleaning the tank himself. He was in contact with several friends and one, a Hunter owner, told him to check the tank. Sure enough the feed pipe was covered in algae. The delivery captain is a very capable mechanic/troubleshooter. There were a lot of little things about the Hunter that we didn't like.

Quote:
Not to steal you post, but I've never had any luck with Hunters. I was on a delivery of an older 37 about 10 days ago from NJ to Florida. At least I was until the owner got impatient in the entrance to the Chesapeake and slammed the throttle full while I was in the cabin. Blew the engine - delivery over.
Owners...whaddya gonna do?

Thanks for your input!

Roaming the Mississippi Sound

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
crew , delivery , florida , gulf of mexico , hunter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in