Helms 25 Rolling boom question. - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2015 Thread Starter

Helms 25 Rolling boom question.

I've read one of the features of the Helms 25 was a roller furling boom. I recently purchased a '74 Helms 25 but it looks like in the 40 years since it's production one of the owners has possible redone the mast rigging, and the boom vang now leads to a traveler at the front of the cockpit. Unless i'm mistaken isn't the traveler or block supposed to be rigged from the end of the boom to the stern of the boat, allowing the boom to rotate freely?

If anyone has some pictures of how their boom is rigged on the helms 25 please post them so i can get a better idea.

P.S. any idea on how much line i will need for the running rigging will be great, i don't know exactly how old all the lines are on my boat so i'd just prefer to replace them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2015

Re: Helms 25 Rolling boom question.

A gentle terminology correction... the MAIN SHEET leads from the boom to a traveler in the cockpit. A boom vang is a different beast altogether - hopefully you have one, leading from a few feet aft of the gooseneck to the base of the mast at the deck. This limits boom lift and prevents an accidental 'goose-wing' gybe.

The original roller reefing boom setups generally left a lot to be desired and most have been converted. You are correct in that with the current setup you cannot use the roller feature, assuming it still works. One would also assume that some sort of jiffy/slab reefing was set up when the mainsheet and traveler were moved/modified.

As to the running rigging lengths, depends on whether or not lines are led aft or on the mast still... take a long (30-50) foot tapemeasure and run it up with a halyard to get the mast height.. then figure twice that plus and distance aft, plus a few feet just in case... you can always trim them later.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-19-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-23-2015

I current am owned a Helms that once owned LSU former coach and A.D. Paul Dietzel. I have disassembled one and transferred yet a 3rd one to the Boy Scouts of America. In each of these cases the first owner was a racing enthusiast, seems Jack Helms courted racers. The main sheet traveler is located on the stern but several have made modifications to move it forward in the cockpit to allow faster tacking and closer trim management for racing. You should research the pervious owners you may find yours was very competitive.
David

post #4 of 6 Old 10-23-2015 Thread Starter

I do know that the previous owner was very much into sailboat racing. In fact that is how my Helms came to be on the market, because the previous owner died during a sailboat race out on the Gulf of Mexico.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-23-2015

My C&C 25 had one, stress the had. Once you add a few conviencies to the boom like adjustable external outhaul, adjustable topping lift, boom vang,lazy jacks etc. you have rendered the roller furling boom absolutely useless.
Mine is still there but locked solid, drilled a hole, tapped it and put a bolt in. If I found a cheap used C&C boom without it I would buy it in a second.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-28-2015

Welcome - am also new on this site and to sailing.

This was helpful in determining the running rigging length.

sail boat data dot com
search on helms
select 25 footer
(I am not worthy of pasting the very helpful URL I had for you) because I just swab the deck at the moment.

I then ran the halyard lines back to the cockpit via all the pulleys/fairleads, etc. and made a few loops then cut/melted, figure-eighted the ends.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in