Re-Decorating/Cushion Covers? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 10-02-2014

Re: Re-Decorating/Cushion Covers?

Your current look isn't all that bad. Pattern fabric has pros and cons. I do not think all fabrics need to match as long as they truly are complimentary.

Patterns hide blemishes better than solids, which can be helpful.

However, patterns never look like the small swatch after you build an full cushion out of them. I too have let the misses deal with a custom pattern on a brand new couch at home. The finished product was exactly what you describe. It looked like it belonged in a brothel. We agonized over whether to pay to have it recovered, which would have been half the cost of the couch again. After a couple of years, we sold it for a song, just to get it out of the house.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 Old 10-02-2014

Dock

Wheres the mirror on the ceiling?

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #13 of 21 Old 10-02-2014

I would keep to a neutral, actually fairly light, solid for the cushions and use patterns, especially busy ones, for pillows.

Patterns in a small area make it appear smaller. Use them sparingly.

I don't know why, but people seem to think you can't wash boat cushion covers. You can. Just wash them gently and don't put them in a dryer. In fact, it's best to wash covers, as the dirt etc does more to deteriorate them otherwise, never mind the smells they retain.

edit: this is my salon. Sorry for the mess. Those pillow covers are totally tropical, but if I'd covered the whole settee with that, oh holy cats, eew.

Last edited by Multihullgirl; 10-02-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-04-2014 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Multihullgirl--I do not disagree. However, my (much) better half would describe that as a "Symphony in Beige", with the attendant excitement while her working reference on classic yacht interiors is Bobrow and Jinkins' "In The Spirit of Tradition".

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #15 of 21 Old 02-04-2016 Thread Starter
Old as Dirt!

Going through my old posts earlier today looking for something I had commented on some while ago, I rediscovered this thread and realized I had never followed up with what we finally decided to do vis-a-vis a repair or replacement of our damaged salon cushion.

For those that don't care to go through the entire thread, our problem was a hole punched in a cushion cover in the salon. We debated various fixes including possibly having new covers made for at least the settee side, my wife's preferred fix (until she got the cost estimate!).

In the end, the fix proved to be having a small Scallop Shell embroidered over the hole in a complimentary color.

Following are snaps of the port side of our salon, the damage to the cushion that although quite small was also quite obvious and finally, the fix. Several people having seen this in "real time" have commented on how well it works and, at $12 USD was a heck of a lot less expensive than re-covering

FWIW...

PS: Mark--The mirror you asked about is right there on the bulkhead, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Salon 1.jpg   DSCN0539.jpg   DSCN0647.jpg   DSCN0646.jpg  

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #16 of 21 Old 02-04-2016
formerly 'BoatyardBoy'

Excellent idea, if you had a boat logo you could do that too and add that special touch. Very neat, I'll remember that if we ever get a hole!

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
post #17 of 21 Old 02-04-2016

Present color doesn't seem that bad to me. I've been looking at a lot of boats and seen much worse.

Happy wife = happy life.
post #18 of 21 Old 02-04-2016

I like the scallop shell - it's like a little treasure, an "Easter egg" hidden in the salon if you will.

With the money she saved on not recovering cushions, she can buy high heeled shoes that aren't spikey!

In our search, though I'm all about hull condition and gear and how recent are the sails and tell me about the running and standing rigging etc., I did find myself turned off by various interiors. Yours wouldn't be a turn off LOL!

A racing sailor in search of new adventures for her family!
s/v Kaimana, 1984 Beneteau First 38
post #19 of 21 Old 02-05-2016

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post

In the end, the fix proved to be having a small Scallop Shell embroidered over the hole in a complimentary color.
at $12 USD
That goodness inteligence reigned suprime.

To replace the fabric of a whole boat where it could be fixed for $12 is crazy.

Nice fix, we done. Thanks for following up
post #20 of 21 Old 02-05-2016

Very nice. Belongs in the low bucks projects thread!
miatapaul likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in