Making it comfortable for her - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 68 Old 08-04-2014
One of None

Re: Making it comfortable for her

Sorry you took my reply as personal Chris, it certainly was not meant with that in mind I did try to insert some humor to it. I own my boat an really it's set up for use of any woman. OK well I did put in A very good mirror:-)

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 68 Old 08-04-2014 Thread Starter
S/V Calypso

I'm sorry for being so defensive then.

I really am looking for advice for both of us. As I said above it a big difference between a stripped down racer and a cruiser. This is my first largish boat (22') and her first cruiser. So we'd really be thankful for suggestion and ok, I get it a mirror.

-Chris
post #13 of 68 Old 08-04-2014

Mrs. B is small in stature and has a hard time bracing herself on the cockpit seats when we have a big heel going on. I’m trying to figure out how to install a cleat down the centerline of the cockpit. She would like a permanently installed table so she can brace against that.

Denise, not all women aspire to be Xena. Some want to be Gabrielle. Mrs. B can (and does) pretty much every type of task on our boat. (with the notable exception that she refuses to dock the boat). But, because she sails with a competent crew, she can hand off tasks when she no longer finds them enjoyable. This does mean that I get to drive when it is dark, raining, or otherwise blowing like stink. She prefers to drive in her “favorite” Freya weather (winds 10-15, low ground swell). I would rather she enjoy sailing than forcing her to endure things that she detests all for the sake of “equality”.
JimMcGee and deniseO30 like this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #14 of 68 Old 08-04-2014

Chris, I think of a 22' er more like a daysailer or weekender than a cruiser. But, if you plan on weekend getaways.. You'll want a comfortable sleeping arrangement. maybe pick up a memory foam roll up mattress. Sheets, pillows..etc. Fans, or a way to keep cool. I had a nice wind scoop for my 22 catalina. maybe skeeter nets for the hatches and companionway, to keep the bugs out.

Last edited by tempest; 08-04-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #15 of 68 Old 08-04-2014 Thread Starter
S/V Calypso

Excellent suggestions. We re-covered the existing v-birth cushions and cut memory foam for the same(working on the rest of cushions now). We currently have battery powered fans but plan to replace those with some tied into a house bank when I re-wire the boat.

We've purchased netting to cover both the forward hatch and the popup.

We plan on spending a week on her mid-September! I know that is nothing for the live aboard folks, and the long term cruisers but its cruising to us.
post #16 of 68 Old 08-04-2014
One of None

I was thinking of leds drilled in small holes in the frame of the mirror. (tiger maple) but... not likely ...

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #17 of 68 Old 08-04-2014 Thread Starter
S/V Calypso

Wow, fancy mirror. I was thinking one that wasn't all wavy. See Denise you are already helping!
post #18 of 68 Old 08-04-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I was thinking of leds drilled in small holes in the frame of the mirror. (tiger maple) but... not likely ...
Quarter sawn sycamore might work.
deniseO30 likes this.

Nor'sea 27
Don't re-accommodate me, Bro
And the trees are all keep equal by hatchet, axe and saw...RUSH
I invented a new word today, plagiarism.
post #19 of 68 Old 08-04-2014

Sounds like you've got it covered.

If you're coffee drinkers it's essential to have good coffee technology! I think that was a thread of it's own here.
post #20 of 68 Old 08-04-2014 Thread Starter
S/V Calypso

We have a french press we use when camping. I plan on removing that from the camping box and placing it on the boat!
Tempest and Minnesail like this.

Tags
comfort , cruising , outfitting

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in