31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 68 Old 08-04-2014
One of None

Re: Making it comfortable for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Quarter sawn sycamore might work.
Oh the TM frame has been on the boat for about 3 years now. can't find the photo. darn.

Chris, I had a Hunter 23 about 10 years ago. I know what you're dealing with to some degree.

found it! lol

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Last edited by deniseO30; 08-04-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 68 Old 08-04-2014 Thread Starter
S/V Calypso

That looks very nice!
post #23 of 68 Old 08-05-2014

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip68 View Post
We have a french press we use when camping. I plan on removing that from the camping box and placing it on the boat!

Try this we have it on our boat. Nothing like a cup of fresh Kona in the AM
We don't have glass that a French press brings and it keeps the coffee hot

Thermos Nissan Gourmet Coffee Press | KobosCoffee.com
Pegu club and punahougirl84 like this.

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #24 of 68 Old 08-05-2014

She gets to have all the shoes she wants onboard.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #25 of 68 Old 08-05-2014

The head door on Thane is a full length mirror. Handy for me too as when half open I could watch television from a seated position.
post #26 of 68 Old 08-05-2014

We have a Hunter 23.5 and after spending the night at anchor this weekend we know we need better padding in the V-berth. A memory foam will be the next upgrade. We have bug screens but want something that fits a little better and a cover for over the front hatch so if it rains we can still have ventilation. The biggie though is I HAVE to find a way to keep the wires for the mast head light from banging around inside the mast. The noise seems to be amplified right into the cabin with each tiny motion of the boat. We enjoy the motion of the boat and even the slight clunk of the center board is not as bad as those dang wires in the mast. I think the next time I have the mast down I'm going to see if I can run some foam pipe insulation up those wires to stop the banging. Good sleep will overcome lots of other little inconveniences. LOL.
post #27 of 68 Old 08-05-2014
Sam

I've always lived by the song, "Treat her like a lady" since I was old enough to date. I've been pleasantly married now 32 years and it still rings true. Scented candle, all the other things mentioned earlier in the post and take time off for stops that look inviting. She's special, she's your lady and just needs timeout with you. Sounds like you have the essentials already covered in the previous posts. The fact that you would ask such a question leads me to believe you probably have all your priorities in order! Just enjoy your time together, she's a lucky Lady having someone who cares about her comfort and well being!
RynnCP likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
clip68 (08-05-2014), RynnCP (08-05-2014)
post #28 of 68 Old 08-05-2014
Deep Blue Crush

Hi Cris, these are good questions. As a man you think of the boat from your own perspective, safety, practicality etc. But its two of you. I guess she will spend a lot of time in the kitchen, maybe what sort of kitchen equipment she is more or less happy and comfortable with. I am very new at this and just now learning and researching about livingaboard (alone), so I started to make my own list, what do I expect to have on a boat from the mandatory to the optional.
Maybe she has certain hobbies/interests that she would like to bring onboard that are equipment dependent and would require space allocation (photography for me would be one of these, cameras, lenses, tripods, take some space, and need to be fixed).
And have her design it, bedsheets, pillows, colors.
post #29 of 68 Old 08-05-2014

Dock

I think the basic problem is that guys build/fit-out/buy a blokey-macho-he man-pit against nature boat. Aussie vernacular a "brick sh!thouse"; an outback dunny that bangs in a storm.

Part of the reason why I dont like Swan's is they feel like a cement mixer whereas an Oyster feels like luxury.

Most women would probably shy away from the cement mixer style boat and go for the luxury feeling, homely and safe, cocoony.

How you do that on your boat I dont know, but err on the side of letting her soften the boat as much as possible, let her select all fabrics, get the softest cushions, etc, buy her big fluffy pillows and towels. Remove every bit of sailing crap from below: No tools, no projects, no barometers and weirdo instruments unless right in the confines of the nav station, no boat pictures on the wall (why the hell should she like a painting of some old sailing ship when she would prefer a picture of her grand kids?). Make the whole Below a girls haven

Mark

Below: Spot the guys boat and spot the girls boat. They both sail the same...
Attached Thumbnails
trinidad_chaguaramas_haul_out_inside_boat_scale.jpg   Website Salon bed.jpg   Salon pic of Bj.jpg  
JimMcGee and paikea like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 08-05-2014 at 09:26 PM.
post #30 of 68 Old 08-05-2014 Thread Starter
S/V Calypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by paikea View Post
Hi Cris, these are good questions. As a man you think of the boat from your own perspective, safety, practicality etc. But its two of you. I guess she will spend a lot of time in the kitchen, maybe what sort of kitchen equipment she is more or less happy and comfortable with. I am very new at this and just now learning and researching about livingaboard (alone), so I started to make my own list, what do I expect to have on a boat from the mandatory to the optional.
Maybe she has certain hobbies/interests that she would like to bring onboard that are equipment dependent and would require space allocation (photography for me would be one of these, cameras, lenses, tripods, take some space, and need to be fixed).
And have her design it, bedsheets, pillows, colors.
Actually, we'll both spend time in the galley! That is my project for this winter is to create one using the small amount of space available. Should be interesting. We both knit (she taught me how) and that takes very little room!

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. – Bern Williams

Tags
comfort , cruising , outfitting

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in