Making it comfortable for her - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 68 Old 02-27-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD
Re: Making it comfortable for her

Forget it, Clip.

You're white, male, and middle class. That automatically means you're doing it wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip68 View Post
I would never use the phrase "little lady". It really pisses me off that someone would read that into my post.

Once again, nope. We bought OUR boat together. We looked at it together, sat down and discussed it together and are equally as excited to refit, sail and enjoy it as a couple.

It doesn't work that way for us. When we get to the dock, we decide who is going to skipper the boat for the day/night. Please note I didn't say drive the boat, I mean skipper the boat. As in the big cheese, the head honcho, etc... We decide this together because we both bring strengths. She has more deep water/off shore experience than I do. I have more experience on our home waters. Does this make either one of us better than the other? Nope. Just both bring something to the table.

This thread was my attempt to gather ideas on what makes a boat more comfortable from a woman's stand point. Not because she and I don't discuss what we want/need but because I want to be able to offer up ideas that she might not have thought about (most of her experience was on stripped down race boats). I see that this was a mistake on my part. If possible, please lock/delete this thread.

-Chris
captain jack likes this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 02-27-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

I found that most women have a keener sense of smell than men. My wife wanted the head addressed and to get all the diesel and other stronger smells out that most guys that have climbed on board either didn't notice or had the good manners to not comment on. Also- increased ventilation.
post #63 of 68 Old 02-27-2015

Women definitely have a stronger sense of smell than men. I swear the last First Mate could smell things only dogs could pickup. I changed the head tank and hoses and lined the hanging locker and v-berth shelf with aromatic cedar. That seemed to brighten up the atmosphere and attitude as well.
post #64 of 68 Old 02-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
I found that most women have a keener sense of smell than men. My wife wanted the head addressed and to get all the diesel and other stronger smells out that most guys that have climbed on board either didn't notice or had the good manners to not comment on. Also- increased ventilation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeric View Post
Women definitely have a stronger sense of smell than men. I swear the last First Mate could smell things only dogs could pickup. I changed the head tank and hoses and lined the hanging locker and v-berth shelf with aromatic cedar. That seemed to brighten up the atmosphere and attitude as well.
This is not true in my case; I have a much stronger sense of smell than my wife. I'm always the first to notice musty boat / cat box needs changing / food gone wrong.
Nancyleeny likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #65 of 68 Old 02-27-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
This is not true in my case; I have a much stronger sense of smell than my wife. I'm always the first to notice musty boat / cat box needs changing / food gone wrong.
Same here.
Nancyleeny likes this.
post #66 of 68 Old 02-27-2015
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeric View Post
Women definitely have a stronger sense of smell than men.
Not in my house! So I feel it safe to bet that the same holds in others.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #67 of 68 Old 02-27-2015

I make certain she has plenty of dish and laundry detergent... And can shower before nap time...

Seriously...and the only other concessions to irrationality are her own little personal space with private storage for all her odd accessories, and a regular connection to Facebook.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #68 of 68 Old 09-16-2015

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Actually far as I'm concerned setting the boat for my wife is the same as setting it up for me, we like the same things which is why we are married!

If you don't know what your wife wants on the boat I suggest you ask her!
I couldn't have said it any better! My husband and I also have many of the same needs-- we've sorted them out on all the travels we've done together, and also camping, prior to getting and outfitting our current boat. We both like storage, we both love good food, we both appreciate similar creature/personal comforts. More than anything my husband would like to have two heads on our boat-- not practical given our 37 ft size. Does the topside shower qualify?? We're excited about getting out and staying aboard.

Tags
comfort , cruising , outfitting

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in