Do You Sail Solo? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 08-30-2014
Deep Blue Crush

Re: Do You Sail Solo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
today just north of Burlington Island but not quite to the turnpike bridge on the Delaware River.
By myself Janice! about 20 degrees in some I'm guessing wind 15 - 20 mp.
Love the photos Denise. You sure are an inspiration!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 08-30-2014

So a guy with no sails looking for advices on....Sailnet?
post #13 of 30 Old 08-30-2014
One of None

She has a trawler and is asking about sailing

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #14 of 30 Old 08-30-2014
Banned

Yes some trawlers have a small sail . But first they have to have a trawler rig . The sail they fly is called the steadying sail, supposedly it cuts down on roll. It is a small patch that also works as a anchor rider . My dad had a Grand Banks 32 back in the late 70's I loved that boat .
Happy boating on Labor Day !https://www.google.com/search?q=gran...tm%3B451%3B284

Last edited by Westsailforever; 08-30-2014 at 12:38 PM.
post #15 of 30 Old 08-30-2014
One of None

gotta love this

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #16 of 30 Old 08-30-2014
One of None

Hey Janice, when you hit your next Million here ya go! Nordhaven

My last project!
post #17 of 30 Old 08-30-2014

Janice--Love your BLOG. You are doing a great job of moving about. Your boat has a lot of windage. Like a house boat, it will move in the wind. A sailboat captain has to worry about leeway. Therefore, it is calculated into the heading. Denise30--beautiful pictures. I never sailed as far North on the Delaware as you. We sailed out of Burlington and went South. Did a singlehanded trip to Cape May then on to Sea Isle. When I had to go, I just threw out the anchor and went. I enjoyed sailing on the Delaware Bay so much, I was 24 hours over due to my destination, Sea Isle.

Dot and John
post #18 of 30 Old 08-30-2014

Denise30--DYC pictures brought back memories. We belonged to the Columbus Yacht Club in Bristol. Had a great time at the crowning of the Queen downtown Philadelphia.

Dot and John
post #19 of 30 Old 08-30-2014
One of None

Thanks! the river is "sail-able" all the way to Trenton but The winds have to be "right" and that is usually in the early spring or late summer. Late June, July and August are near impossible for me with heat intolerance.

My last project!
post #20 of 30 Old 09-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
So, two questions:

#1) Does your boat stay on track well? (Can you tie off the tiller for a straight pass?)

#2) Do you have a full-blown auto-pilot? (Electric or windvane?)

If without, do you take crew for passages or tough it out yourself?
Yep, I singlehand, and I don't have a windvane or enough battery to power the electric autohelm for very long... so I have hand-helmed up to about 18 hours so far.

If I balance the boat well though it is not arduous to helm, and I can lash it if the wind is forward of the beam and under about 17knots apparent. Over this and the sea state generally gets up too much and she needs a bit more of a sensitive touch.

Claire

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in