Do You Sail Solo? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 Old 09-23-2014
Vagabond in Training

Re: Do You Sail Solo?

It isnt single handing but Even when we are in the ocean double handed I can "sail alone" in the narrow sense that I do everything necessary by myself. I do wake Carol up (our policy) if I reef but I do it alone. Of course I am never hand steering as we are always on windvane or autopilot in shore until we anchor.

As prep for doing this offshore I took our boat out single handed several times locally. I only anchored in big open bays. i am amazed at how well some people can dock or anchor in tight places solo

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersai...ighlight=Livia

A l'eau, c'est l'heure
s/v Estrellita 5.10b, Wauquiez Pretorien 35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
//
//
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 09-23-2014
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQDzx3iBV4) is one of the first that I'd taken while sailing single-handed so ignore the horrible wind effects and the winded effects of me trying to talk right after raising the sails. Kynntana was dialed in and sailing herself, but that only happens when she's well trimmed and not over-canvased. If I want to go below or have to deal with something, I have to rely on the AP, which becomes my faithful crew when there's no one else onboard.
post #23 of 30 Old 09-23-2014
At my Helms 27

I changed boats a year and a half ago to a Helms 27. Since I usually sail solo, I solo sailed every day for about 3 weeks to get the feel of the new boat. Tried to make every mistake I could think of. Anchored 15-18 times in various winds. It was time well spent. Highly recommended. The attached pic is an exception.
Attached Thumbnails
PART_1406678402027_20140727_162005_1.jpg  
Donna_F likes this.
post #24 of 30 Old 09-23-2014

Dock

As soon as just one other person gets on board I refuse to single hand!

Mark
bristol299bob and goat like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #25 of 30 Old 09-23-2014
Glad I found Sailnet

I sail solo half the time, including last Saturday in some blustery winds on Long Island Sound.

I use the autopilot a lot. A stack pack and lazy jacks makes raising and lower the main sail a breeze. And a chain rode with electric anchor windlass makes raising and lowering the anchor very easy. Those three things make sailing solo fairly straightforward on a 50' sailboat.

Of course docking is a challenge when it's windy. We are usually anchor or are on mooring, so I don't have to deal with docking very often.

Regards,
Brad

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing (and a little bit of politics). I don't know why. It's a mystery!
post #26 of 30 Old 09-23-2014
Wandering Aimlessly

Other than the trip from Texas to Tampa, I've always singlehanded. The one thing I haven't seen mentioned is, to me, the cardinal rule: Plan Ahead. From checking the weather forecast, to having lines ready, or simply having a bottle of water within reach. Anticipation can often prevent a problem from occurring in the first place.

John
Ontario 32 - Aria

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

post #27 of 30 Old 09-24-2014
69' Coronado 25

Dock

Yeah, I sail solo most of the time.

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt Leisenfelder

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

post #28 of 30 Old 09-24-2014

I mostly sail solo my boat has a full keel and a bow sprit with two furlers so I can balance her nicely,I can go below use the head and put the kettle on then wander back up and she is mostly on course.I only use the autopilot for motoring.She also sails herself on just her mainsail i can change my heading by adjusting my mainsheet.I have a raking rudder so I dont have to tie her off as the weight of the rudder keeps it central.Having owned fin keelers which would not sail themselves for long I am absolutely stoked with the way she sails and am not ever selling her.I will get a vane eventually though as wind on the stern quarter tends to round her up a bit.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-29-2014

I sail solo. And, like many others, I find the key to success is thinking ahead and being prepared so that, hopefully, not too many things happen at once, which is difficult to deal with when alone. Namaste'
post #30 of 30 Old 09-29-2014
69' Coronado 25

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal c25 View Post
Yeah, I sail solo most of the time.
I sail SOLO.....

When my Meds are working....

Otherwise I'd be sailing beside myself....

:

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt Leisenfelder

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in