SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Spicy! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/164129-spicy.html)

Donna_F 09-07-2014 06:21 PM

Re: Spicy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by clip68 (Post 2168449)
Wow, you buy the fancy stuff! Rum comes in plastic bottles, and wine in boxes!

-Chris

I tried rum in a box. It didn't end well.

And recently I worked with a young programmer who told us in a meeting how she and her college room mates used to remove the bladder from the box and toss it around the room. Whatever interest was left flew out the window.

clip68 09-07-2014 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 2168473)

And recently I worked with a young programmer who told us in a meeting how she and her college room mates used to remove the bladder from the box and toss it around the room. Whatever interest was left flew out the window.

We always remove the bladder from the box before putting it in a cooler. When I say always, I mean ever since we had to fish out the bits of cardboard that fell apart in the cooler. :D

Rhapsody-NS27 09-07-2014 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 2168473)

Yeah, I've seen rub in boxes too down in Colombia. Some of the boxes were small like the size of a children's juice box.

The spices is a good topic. One thought I've had myself is if I were to use a lot of a certain spice, I'd get a bunch of the smaller kinds. that way, a large container doesn't go bad so quickly. Just pack them in a way that they don't move around too much, and I'm sure they'd last.

Minnewaska 09-07-2014 10:17 PM

General rule of thumb....... dry spices, other than salt, are good for approx 6 months. After that, they decline at different rates. Yours sound fully disposable.

Donna_F 09-08-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clip68 (Post 2168449)
Wow, you buy the fancy stuff! Rum comes in plastic bottles, and wine in boxes!

-Chris

Blame SVAuspicious. He set my bar for eating and drinking on board and I haven't lowered it. No reason we can't eat on the boat the same way we eat at home.

Except, no Cheetos or chips on his boat. Teak decks. I don't have to go there until we get Next Boat. :)

I do love licking off the layers of Cheetos goo on my fingers.

clip68 09-08-2014 10:56 AM

So far, due to the limited preparation space on our little 22, we have done a lot of prep at home. That is about to change in a couple of weeks on our week long trip.

When camping or going to a rental condo, we have a plastic water tight box that has enough room for 8 or 10 of the small metal canisters (magnetic) that we use to hold our spices. We'll grab that and load it up with our favorites. Since it doesn't have to live on the boat, it should be about perfect.

In terms of libations I plan to transfer the contents of a bottle of Knob Creek and whatever Rum we buy into a plastic bottles. I to have a bit of an aversion to glass on the boat.

Beer will be in cans as I learned the hard way that bottle tops fit perfectly down the cockpit drain hole!

-Chris

Donna_F 09-08-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clip68 (Post 2170065)

Beer will be in cans as I learned the hard way that bottle tops fit perfectly down the cockpit drain hole!

-Chris

You can also flatten them when empty to save space.

SVAuspicious 09-08-2014 12:03 PM

We just did a big clean of the spice shelf aboard. There was some pretty old stuff in there.

We're building the supply back up. *grin*

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 2169945)
Blame SVAuspicious. He set my bar for eating and drinking on board and I haven't lowered it. No reason we can't eat on the boat the same way we eat at home.

Last night was unfortunately thin flounder from an unfortunate shopping mistake I made. I made rolls around tiny diced onion and tomato with basil and oregano inside and a mustard-Sirachi glaze outside and baked it. It came out pretty well and didn't heat up the boat too much. Janet is off on business for a few days so I'm going to try and make as big a dent in the too-thin flounder as I can -- fish tacos for dinner tonight.

SVAuspicious 09-08-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clip68 (Post 2170065)
In terms of libations I plan to transfer the contents of a bottle of Knob Creek and whatever Rum we buy into a plastic bottles. I to have a bit of an aversion to glass on the boat.

I'm pretty careful with storage. Still, I think we've broken one piece of glass in the last eight years. Plastic and metal have worn through and made messes (beer and soda cans especially).

oneshotonekill 09-20-2014 05:11 PM

A few years ago, there was a not so scientific study done by a boating magazine that indicated that a Pringles can keeps chips freshest in a marine environment. If the small canisters of spices were bought and keept in an empty Pringles can, perhaps that would help a bit.

Happy sailing and fair winds!