SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   herSailNet (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/)
-   -   Spicy! (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersailnet/164129-spicy.html)

svzephyr44 09-07-2014 08:24 AM

Spicy!

"When in the course of human events ..." it is time to deep clean the boat in preparation for a long offshore passage...

I find myself with a large quantity of spices that have been purchased over the last two years by various crew on my boat. Some are caked from moisture absorption. My cooking skill consists of energy bars and/or opening a can of beans. The question: Is there any point in hanging on to all these spices (perhaps 20 different kinds) knowing that at a minimum it will be six months or more before anyone (not me) as the occasion to use them?

Thanks in advance...

Fair winds and following seas :)

Donna_F 09-07-2014 08:49 AM

Re: Spicy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by svzephyr44 (Post 2167241)
... The question: Is there any point in hanging on to all these spices (perhaps 20 different kinds) knowing that at a minimum it will be six months or more before anyone (not me) as the occasion to use them?

Thanks in advance...

Fair winds and following seas :)

If it was me, they'd be thrown away. Probably way before now.

For you, throw away any that have moisture inside the containers. Then throw away any that no longer smell like the spice they are supposed to be. Keep the rest if you want.

I generally don't buy more of any spice that I won't use within six months. Freezing them drags it out a bit longer. But I like food and cooking.

Cap-Couillon 09-07-2014 08:50 AM

No....

Of course, they could be used for epoxy filler in an emergency :-)

paikea 09-07-2014 08:56 AM

First, you don't use them when you cook so lose them.
Second, their current potency depends how well the spices were prepared and stored. So in many cases after few years they might be useless or even worse, gives a dish a bad taste.
Third, in reality one doesn't need a lot is spices for good dishes.

Personally at home I only have few :
Himalaya pink salt that I ground when I need it.
Pepper black and other variations all together that I ground when I need.
Good quality organic Cayenne pepper which I actually use in teas and juices as much as I use in food.
Ground Curcuma which I also use in both cooking and teas if I don't have the fresh available.
Ground Ginger again using in both cooking and teas if I don't have the fresh available. The fresh variation also stays well in a cooler for months in a plastic bag.

So you end up with 5 things that could cover you for a lot. And also the last three are also with great health benefits and fit perfectly with cold or hot temperatures. As long as they are not old/expired and poorly stored.

If you would end up fishing I would certainly add dry thyme to the list. Thyme goes well with so many things. All simple straight forward cooking.

Hope this helps.

pdqaltair 09-07-2014 10:12 AM

When I was in college I had numerous friends who said they didn't know how to cook. I asked them if they liked to eat. I can only hope when they grew up they either learned or married someone who could.

Learn. A good meal should be a highlight after a long shift.

svzephyr44 09-07-2014 10:55 AM

Thanks all. Into the trash they go!

MarkofSeaLife 09-07-2014 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
DON'T Trash them!!!!!!!!!!

You may begin to cook properly!!!!!

Check the ingredients and if any have salt in them and they are open they will probably be stuffed. Also check the Use By/ Best Before date. I tend to chuck the old ones, but pure spices can normally last years... remember they used to be sailed half way around the world from the spice islands...

But proper cooking on board is good fun, and what else is there to do anyway? Play with the white floppy things?

clip68 09-07-2014 04:59 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but as long as we are on the subject, how would you folks out in cuber-sail land keep the spices from absorbing so much water? Tupperware? Vacuum sealing? Perhaps armed with this knowledge, the spices will be viable in the future to inspire svzephyr44 to start cooking.

-Chris

Donna_F 09-07-2014 05:06 PM

I don't live aboard, but I buy my spices from Penzey's and keep them on the boat for the season in the glass jars that Penzey's sells. Seems to do OK. Some don't like glass on boats, but, well, I'm ok with it. After all, the rum and wine are in glass bottles and I manage to keep them from getting broken. Only glass wine glasses that I've broken have not been on the boat.

clip68 09-07-2014 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 2168441)
After all, the rum and wine are in glass bottles and I manage to keep them from getting broken.

Wow, you buy the fancy stuff! Rum comes in plastic bottles, and wine in boxes!

-Chris