Spicy! - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-07-2014 Thread Starter
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Question Spicy!

"When in the course of human events ..." it is time to deep clean the boat in preparation for a long offshore passage...

I find myself with a large quantity of spices that have been purchased over the last two years by various crew on my boat. Some are caked from moisture absorption. My cooking skill consists of energy bars and/or opening a can of beans. The question: Is there any point in hanging on to all these spices (perhaps 20 different kinds) knowing that at a minimum it will be six months or more before anyone (not me) as the occasion to use them?

Thanks in advance...

Fair winds and following seas

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-07-2014
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: Spicy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svzephyr44 View Post
... The question: Is there any point in hanging on to all these spices (perhaps 20 different kinds) knowing that at a minimum it will be six months or more before anyone (not me) as the occasion to use them?

Thanks in advance...

Fair winds and following seas
If it was me, they'd be thrown away. Probably way before now.

For you, throw away any that have moisture inside the containers. Then throw away any that no longer smell like the spice they are supposed to be. Keep the rest if you want.

I generally don't buy more of any spice that I won't use within six months. Freezing them drags it out a bit longer. But I like food and cooking.
Yofy likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
svzephyr44 (09-07-2014)
post #3 of 22 Old 09-07-2014
Noah's Bosun

No....

Of course, they could be used for epoxy filler in an emergency :-)
svzephyr44 and FourthCoast like this.

"If the wind will not serve, lay to the oars"

post #4 of 22 Old 09-07-2014
Deep Blue Crush

First, you don't use them when you cook so lose them.
Second, their current potency depends how well the spices were prepared and stored. So in many cases after few years they might be useless or even worse, gives a dish a bad taste.
Third, in reality one doesn't need a lot is spices for good dishes.

Personally at home I only have few :
Himalaya pink salt that I ground when I need it.
Pepper black and other variations all together that I ground when I need.
Good quality organic Cayenne pepper which I actually use in teas and juices as much as I use in food.
Ground Curcuma which I also use in both cooking and teas if I don't have the fresh available.
Ground Ginger again using in both cooking and teas if I don't have the fresh available. The fresh variation also stays well in a cooler for months in a plastic bag.

So you end up with 5 things that could cover you for a lot. And also the last three are also with great health benefits and fit perfectly with cold or hot temperatures. As long as they are not old/expired and poorly stored.

If you would end up fishing I would certainly add dry thyme to the list. Thyme goes well with so many things. All simple straight forward cooking.

Hope this helps.

Deep Blue Crush
post #5 of 22 Old 09-07-2014

When I was in college I had numerous friends who said they didn't know how to cook. I asked them if they liked to eat. I can only hope when they grew up they either learned or married someone who could.

Learn. A good meal should be a highlight after a long shift.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #6 of 22 Old 09-07-2014 Thread Starter
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Thanks all. Into the trash they go!
Donna_F likes this.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #7 of 22 Old 09-07-2014

Dock

DON'T Trash them!!!!!!!!!!

You may begin to cook properly!!!!!

Check the ingredients and if any have salt in them and they are open they will probably be stuffed. Also check the Use By/ Best Before date. I tend to chuck the old ones, but pure spices can normally last years... remember they used to be sailed half way around the world from the spice islands...

But proper cooking on board is good fun, and what else is there to do anyway? Play with the white floppy things?
Tenoch likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #8 of 22 Old 09-07-2014
S/V Calypso

Not to hijack this thread, but as long as we are on the subject, how would you folks out in cuber-sail land keep the spices from absorbing so much water? Tupperware? Vacuum sealing? Perhaps armed with this knowledge, the spices will be viable in the future to inspire svzephyr44 to start cooking.

-Chris

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. Bern Williams
post #9 of 22 Old 09-07-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

I don't live aboard, but I buy my spices from Penzey's and keep them on the boat for the season in the glass jars that Penzey's sells. Seems to do OK. Some don't like glass on boats, but, well, I'm ok with it. After all, the rum and wine are in glass bottles and I manage to keep them from getting broken. Only glass wine glasses that I've broken have not been on the boat.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-07-2014
S/V Calypso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
After all, the rum and wine are in glass bottles and I manage to keep them from getting broken.
Wow, you buy the fancy stuff! Rum comes in plastic bottles, and wine in boxes!

-Chris
T37Chef and Minnesail like this.

The average man will bristle if you say his father was dishonest, but he will brag a little if he discovers that his great-grandfather was a pirate. Bern Williams

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in