A Perfect Cutting Board For Your Boat Galley - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 10-03-2014

Re: A Perfect Cutting Board For Your Boat Galley

Got a wood cutting board that fits over the sink that I never really use. Early this season I picked up some thin flexible plastic mat cutting sheets. Three to a pack for less than five dollars. Fit's nicely on the galley counter and also on the cockpit table. Easy to pick up and fold chopped contents into pot or containers. Even spread out pizza dough on it and did not need to use flour (always messy on a boat) to prevent sticking. Cleans up easily too. I'm sold on them. Though wood does looked nicer. Functionally the plastic cutting sheet just works better for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 10-03-2014

Thumbs down Re: A Perfect Cutting Board For Your Boat Galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Wood = Bad for Sanitation
Care to share how you have come to this conclusion? In short, plastic boards are commonly used in commercial kitchens, and washed in high temperature dishwashers. Then air dry in a well ventilated area. For the home cook, especially on a boat, guessing here that most do not have high temp dishwashers, wood is as good if not better. Wood, unlike plastic has natural drying qualities and bacteria prefers water to grow. Woodwith a simple wash and vinegar spray is a much better and safer choice then plastic.

Google UC Davis study on wooden cutting boads. The FDA has also approved the use of wood in commercial applications, you can google that as well.

YOUR statement is simply your opinion but not based on facts. Ive been down this road twice on this forum, I dont feel like linking everything again.

If you have an opinion, that fine, but before you make a statement perhaps you should do a little homework first. Ever been to Europe, or just about anywhere outside the states, ever bought eggs from a farm before they were washed, can sit out at room temp for weeks...bla bla bla. I could go on and on.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-03-2014

^^ Gotta follow the thread. Two posts back I explained I was joking! Sheeze.

You gotta admit that a statement like "wood = good" is pretty broad and was asking for a poke. I basically dislike wood on boats, though like cutting boards, it is often useful.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #14 of 14 Old 10-03-2014

In your original post which it seems you have now deleted I didnt see any indication yiu were joking.

Bottom line, one is more likely to get sick from poor food handeling habits than some silly cutting board.

I suppose I just didnt catch your humor

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in