Any ladies sail while preggers? - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-04-2015 Thread Starter
Quirky

Any ladies sail while preggers?

Kind of a rhetorical question as I know there are.
I'm currently gestating our first. Morning sickness has me off the boat for now. I miss it so badly.

I have plans to get back to sailing as soon as possible. I single hand regularly but have decided I need to have someone with me since my center of gravity will be changing so quickly and dizziness, and who knows what else could affect me.

How far into pregnancy were you able to sail? And how soon after delivery could you get back to it?

This post is made from recycled electrons

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2015
Courtney the Dancer

Re: Any ladies sail while preggers?

Congratulations!
No first hand experience ( :-)) ), but my son and daughter in law sailed from Miami to Panama before they figured out that the "seasickness" was really morning sickness. They cancelled their plans to transit the canal into the Pacific and sailed back to Fl. She said it wasn't bad and really hated to cancel their plans but also wanted to share the excitement with family, etc. They didn't move back to the boat, they moved the boat to the PNW and sail here now with the two grandsons (5 & 5 months).
Sublime likes this.

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #3 of 13 Old 06-05-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

bumfuzzles had 2 kids while sailing, might wanna consult their website for info and mebbe message with em.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter
Quirky

My hubby, who is new to sailing, said that he wants our child to grow up with sailing.
I think I'll keep him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
bumfuzzles had 2 kids while sailing, might wanna consult their website for info and mebbe message with em.

But I'm looking for experience from normal people.

post #5 of 13 Old 06-05-2015
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
My hubby, who is new to sailing, said that he wants our child to grow up with sailing.
I think I'll keep him.

But I'm looking for experience from normal people.
normal people do not sailcruise nor have kids in any other place than a hospital labor and delivery room. they stay onland and are boring..speeled B O R I N G .......
Bob142 likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2015 Thread Starter
Quirky

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
normal people do not sailcruise nor have kids in any other place than a hospital labor and delivery room. they stay onland and are boring..speeled B O R I N G .......

Well, right now I'm having to be boring. I'm land locked so I'm not cruising around the world. So pft!
Yofy and newhaul like this.

post #7 of 13 Old 06-06-2015

Check out Brittany and Scott and their 3 under 3.

Windtraveler

1981 Edel 665
Dock C, Lake Front Promenade
The Following User Says Thank You to i_amcdn For This Useful Post:
Sublime (06-07-2015)
post #8 of 13 Old 03-13-2016

I love sailing! The last time I sailed, I was pregnant to my 2nd child in my first trimester.

Last edited by iamregina; 05-04-2016 at 09:01 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-14-2016

my wife and i sailed quite a bit with our first and we'll be sailing this summer with the 2nd on the way.
at a week old my daughter sailed for her first time.

my wife found motion sickness really got the better of her when we were out once and the weather was quite bad. double reefed main and only half the jib out and we were still burying the stantions. the nausea patches behind the ear help and are safe when pregnant. if you are a new age hippie and dont believe in medicine then you may just need to stick to light weather sailing until the baby arrives
post #10 of 13 Old 03-14-2016

FWIW, my wife was 6 months along when we left Tahiti for Hawaii. She didn't have any additional problems making the passage other than the change in her center of balance and a bit of lethargy. She wasn't as stable on her feet moving around but pretty much did everything she'd done on previous long passages. By the time she was in her 8th month, she had problems climbing on and off the boat to the dinghy so moved ashore. Wouldn't have been a problem in a slip but we were anchored out as there was only one marina available and it was chock a block with boats and had no transient slips.

Did have one amusing incident. We kept our Avon Redcrest inflatable tied up alongside the boat and used it to get from the water to the boat when anchored. Jumping in the ocean, going for a snorkel was 2nd nature to us as we'd done it multiple times a day, every day, for more than a year while cruising. After we got to Hawaii we were anchored in Keauhou Bay.
By that time she was 8 months along. While alone on the boat she decided to go for a swim. No problems till she tried to climb into the dinghy. With her pregnant belly, she couldn't climb back in the dinghy to climb on board. She was stuck and would have had to swim to a rocky shore to get out of the water. Fortunately, a passing fisherman saw her quandary and helped her climb onto the dinghy and back in the boat. She moved ashore after that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in