Canvas Ideas - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 35 Old 10-07-2015
Old enough to know better

Re: Canvas Ideas

You have very fair prices on your Etsy shop by the way. I like the line bags, by the way don't let the puppies sit on the lines when out sailing, as if you have to make an emergency jibe/tack they could get hurt or thrown overboard. And they are way too cute to let that happen!

Ideas(assuming you are thinking of your esty shop:
Covers for fenders. (use a soft fleece material)
Winch covers
covers made for hand rails and other exterior woodwork.
inflatable boat chaps.
Boom shade awnings.

If you have a reasonably large marine market locally boat cushions are always a big item. They buy the materials and pay you for labor, so you don't even have to keep much inventory.

If you have a machine that can do it, personalize is always profitable as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to miatapaul For This Useful Post:
SVGimmeShelter (10-08-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 Old 10-07-2015

While it seems that the male gender has defended itself already, I will add about 90% of the canvas shops I know are staffed with men. They seriously get into talking sewing machines too. Just saw a guy the other day that was drooling over some machine he might be able to get. It's as ironic as considering cooking a woman's domain, when most top chefs are male. It's only recently that enrollment at the top culinary schools are 50/50.

As for projects, a cover for just about everything aboard it a good thing. Fender fleece was mentioned, but add anything that has varnish on it or is exposed to UV.

Have fun sewing!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 35 Old 10-08-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGimmeShelter View Post
I like to hear the man's side of sewing. You must have learned to fix everything with grommets like my husband did in boy scouts.

Grommets are an easy way to sneak a hammer into your sewing project.
post #14 of 35 Old 11-28-2015

projects on boats are so much fun... especially off season. On Yofy some of our most useful canvas projects have been:

. cover for dinghy outboard
. bag for life ring line (floating line deteriorates rapidly in the sun)
. utility bag for odds and ends (binoculars, hand held horn, cellphones etc.)
. winch handle bag
. pocket bag - a bag with several pockets that sits next to our computer corner and holds all odds and ends for the computer that can really clutter up.

Robyn

SV Yofy
Blog: Sailing in the winds of peace

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yofy; 11-28-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: forgot signature
post #15 of 35 Old 11-28-2015

Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I've made several cockpit bags, fitted no-see-um screens for hatches and repaired sails and covers. The biggest project was a boom tent with velcro centerline at stern for topper and back stay. Made from blown old main, simply disassembled and hemmed wth reinforcing nylon tape around the edges and , of course, grommets! '). TRe-cut and re-purposed a larger cat sail for the dink.
Just finished the other day was a red Jolly Roger for the new ensign halyards. Custom designed graphic in acrylic paint on red sailcloth fromsame repurposed cat sail remnants.

Loads of items to be made on a sailboat !

S/V Chrysalis
'80 Watkins 27
North East, MD
post #16 of 35 Old 11-28-2015

Sunbrella LifeSling storage bag cover (UV cover for the cover): The storage bag on the first LifeSling lasted only about five-years.

Sunbrella toe-rail covers for teak toe-rails.

Sunbrella hatch covers to prevent lens crazing.

Storage-bags similar to the OP's rope-bags but for hanging in the interior.

Boat Blanket fabric fender covers.

Phifertex mesh sun-screen.
post #17 of 35 Old 11-29-2015

I just got done doing a new mainsail cover for my Catalina 28. I used Sailrite's kit, and was very pleased with the instructions, and with the pieces already marked on the Sunbrella.

I used my 1968 Kenmore on it. Because the Sunbrella was navy blue, it might have been smart to use black thread to hide any stitching issues, but I went bold, and used white thread. Used a number 18 needle and V69 bonded polyester thread. The white stitches are uniform and beautiful on the navy blue. Without a walking foot machine, it's super important to take extra care to get good double hems, etc.. Sailrite includes double sticky tape with the kit. By using the tape, and carefully folding and creasing the hems, it makes it easier to get professional looking results. Takes more time, but I don't want to spring for a walking foot machine right now.

I want to do some duffle bags, next. Our C28 doesn't have a lot of handy storage, so when we go on short cruises, our bunks get full of tote bags and stuff. I think duffle bags in colors that complement the interior colors would be easy to keep on the shelves behind the settees in the main saloon. Here's a link to a simple pattern.
sewing tutorial | KIDS | crafts | handmade gifts | bread bags | fort kits | diy hang tags | saltwater-kids
I just have to find a fabric I like.
post #18 of 35 Old 11-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I want to do some duffle bags ....
Thanks for the duffle-bag site. Here is a link to a site with reasonably priced patterns for several bags I've made.

Packs, Bags, & Misc. | The Green Pepper, Inc.
post #19 of 35 Old 11-29-2015

Quote:
Sailrite includes double sticky tape with the kit.
As for mechanical means to hold seams, hems and binding on the inside edge of curves, in order of my preference:

• HDX 3/4 in. Mini Spring Clamps (37 cents each from Home Depot)
• Binder clips from an office supply store, such as 3/4” wide, 3/8” capacity
• Plier-type stapler. Test a few times to determine maximum spacing and also for removal – removal from one side of the work might be easier that the other. In any case, be sure to remove to staples to avoid rusty staples after installation
• T-pins.
• Seam tape, which is sticky on both sides

Seam tape is listed last because seam-tape can gum-up the needle. However, seam-tape seems almost essential for long, internal runs. Not only does seam tape gum-up the needle, it also gums-up scissors. I dedicate a pair of inexpensive scissors for cutting seam tape.

Ways to help mitigate gumming the needle is to and apply narrow seam-tape offset from the line of stitches and/or use a thread lubricator. Another way is to press seams without using heat (heat effects the water resistance of Sunbrella) such as with a Marshalltown 2” solid rubber seam roller.
post #20 of 35 Old 11-29-2015

Quote:
I just have to find a fabric I like.
I've been really pleased with 1000 Denier coated Cordura. I bought it at:

Solid Color CORDURA® Nylon Fabrics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in