Canvas Ideas - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 35 Old 11-30-2015

Re: Canvas Ideas

Made a spray can storage pocket for some things I use often. Makes it more convenient to find and use them compared to when they were in just stored the locker:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: A QUICK STORAGE PROJECT

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 12-01-2015

I picked up an old Kenmore (seems to be a theme), but am looking for some advice on getting started.

Can anybody recommend a web site or YouTube videos on setting up the machine, adjusting it, lubricating it, etc. and then how to do basic stitches?

The machine has been sitting in a closet for years, so I'm thinking some time on setup and adjustment is a good idea.

Thanks,
Jim

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #23 of 35 Old 12-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGimmeShelter View Post
HI Ladies,

Recently I have been getting very into sewing on my boat and have made quite a few projects. I have been having a blast making things according to our needs on the boat, and getting creative with a few sail bags.

I'm wondering if anyone has any patterns they'd like to share?!

Here is one I did recently for a rope bag/cockpit caddy:

How to: Rope Bags or Pockets for your Sailboat | svgimmeshelter
Have you seen any of the how-to videos that Sailrite has available? They have dozens, for lots of interesting projects. Just finished making new covers for the salon and V-berth cushions, following the Sailrite videos.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #24 of 35 Old 12-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I picked up an old Kenmore (seems to be a theme), but am looking for some advice on getting started.
Jim,

To get started with your Kenmore, you probably need a manual. If you are unable to find one online, there are several sewing forums that have quite knowledgeable and helpful members. Mention the kenmore model number and what you need -- manual, threading diagram, ....

The folks on the following UK forum seem especially knowledgeable and helpful.

The Sewing Forum

FYI in case you don't know. When searching a forum for information, a google search using the site tag is usually more productive than the site's search option. For example, the format of the google search of this site would be would be:

search-term [search-term] site:Sailnet.com
The Following User Says Thank You to TejasSailer For This Useful Post:
JimMcGee (12-02-2015)
post #25 of 35 Old 12-01-2015
landofrainandgray

[QUOTE]I picked up an old Kenmore (seems to be a theme), but am looking for some advice on getting started.
/QUOTE]

There are more resources now than ever before for sewing machines, manuals, projects, and tools. Which model Kenmore did you purchase? There are several FB groups-"Sewing on Boats" "Vintage Sewing Machines" and there is likely a vintage Kenmore group you can join. Also, Reddit has a Threddit group for sewing projects. You Tube has an infinite number of instructional videos for threading, maintenance, projects, etc.

I use a vintage Brother machine from Japan (you want an old machine from Japan if you can find them) and it works amazingly well for most boat projects. You'll learn that depending on your project, you'll want the appropriate size thread and needle and most home machines will accept up to a size 18 needle. You can purchase V92 thread in white to use for most boat projects. Don Casey has a great boat project book with solid advice, too.

If your new-to-you Kenmore is not of a vintage variety, it may have plastic gears and may not be up to the task of sewing heavier cloth. Don't despair- Goodwill routinely has the vintage "made in Japan" machines from the 40's through the 60's that are cast iron and rock solid tough. Google becomes your friend when figuring out how to use them. Just today I found an old machine ($20) that I'll clean up and give away as a gift since I have a few old trusty ones already.

Good luck and have fun!

Joy
Folie a Deux
PNW
The Following User Says Thank You to joyinPNW For This Useful Post:
JimMcGee (12-02-2015)
post #26 of 35 Old 12-01-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyinPNW View Post
You can purchase V92 thread ... to use for most boat projects. .... Don Casey has a great boat project book with solid advice, too.
Diddo on the Don Casey book -- Canvaswork & Sail Repair.

As for V92 thread, that typically would be the top-end thread-size for vintage home-sewing machines with steel gears.
joyinPNW likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TejasSailer For This Useful Post:
JimMcGee (12-02-2015)
post #27 of 35 Old 12-01-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVGimmeShelter View Post
How about things that you would make if you could? ...I'm desperate for ideas. .
Some good ideas already.

Here are mine:

Insulated hatch covers.

Doubled over weather clothes you can use as crash pads.

Line covers (sort of bags) to cover hanging lines (at the mast in my case) to protect from UV.

Knife roll.

Cockpit cover.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #28 of 35 Old 12-02-2015
rdw

Go to Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969 and search videos and instruction for DYI projects. They have lots of very good projects with excellent instructions.
I will brag. I have made a total boat cover for winter storage, cushions for cockpit, cushions for saloon, cockpit enclosure and duffles for crew.
rdw
SVGimmeShelter likes this.
post #29 of 35 Old 02-29-2016

Dock

I'm looking forward to making canvas items for our new boat this spring! Thanks, it looks like you do nice work!
Cande
post #30 of 35 Old 02-29-2016
Boat Bum

If you go cruising without a watermaker, a rain catcher on the foredeck comes in handy. I made mine out of an old jib some webbing and a plastic thru-hull

No wife, no kids, no debt.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in