Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

Location... Location is about right... we overnight on our boat and don't lock up any of the hatches and when nights are cool enough to not have the deadly gnats/mosquitoes we leave the hatches open but with bug screens... on warmer summer nights we'll pad up the deck and sleep watching the stars... but the thought about someone boarding while you're asleep is always there even if it is relatively safe...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Not to diminish the experience of some of those who responded, and thank you very much for the comments and especially the security suggestions, but I think the OP's main concern is as a woman alone in a marina. Those who are a "we" don't have quite the same concerns.
redfishnc and shadowraiths like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
shadowraiths (01-25-2016)
post #23 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

My boat is in Dana Point. I have no qualms about spending the night on it (unlocked and open). I have a friend that does the same - by herself.

You'll have no real problems in SoCal. No worse than on land at least.
post #24 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
Not to diminish the experience of some of those who responded, and thank you very much for the comments and especially the security suggestions, but I think the OP's main concern is as a woman alone in a marina. Those who are a "we" don't have quite the same concerns.
Granted... but someone wanting to cause harm does not know there is one (female or male), two, three, whatever inhabitants on a boat inside behind the closed hatches at 3AM in the morning or whatever time... I think any 'woman' wanting to stay alone in a marina on her boat overnight will have to 'man up' and deal with it... other women on this and other forums have.
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarguy56 For This Useful Post:
Fantail (01-17-2016)
post #25 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Initially, I dismissed this question because there are so many other things to fear, which can have little bearing on risk. You need to personally understand both the rational risk (i.e., what's the level of crime in your area) and any irrational response to that risk (i.e., there's never been a rape in this particular marina yet the possibility of a predator scares me). In my current marina, I've had to walk around a body covered in a sheet near the gate to my boat (no idea how this person died), there was a shoot out right in front of the marina as I was rigging my boat one morning because some crazy stole a cop's van for a ride through the city, two windows have been broken on my car in the parking lot and stuff stolen, my helm cover mysteriously disappeared a couple weeks ago, and there have been footprints (both dog and human) on my boat. I now lock my hatches and after some urging by a friend, I did install a latch on the inside of my cockpit hatch. I also sleep next to an extremely large socket wrench. But I still don't fear sleeping on my boat alone. Obviously, I have a high tolerance for risk. So it really depends on your own fears and how you can manage them. Others' perspectives here are not going to help you, because you can arm yourself to the teeth and still wake up every time the boat twitches with a tide change.

Oh, I have taken to not going to the showers at 11pm any more....I do have a threshold.
Donna_F likes this.

Last edited by gamayun; 01-15-2016 at 04:06 PM.
post #26 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Dock
If you lived in a house over the road from the marina would you sleep with the front door wide open?
post #27 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
I can't re Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstick View Post
Hi all,

I am in Southern California and most marinas I've researched seem pretty safe here. I am looking at Marina Del Rey, Redondo Beach and Long Beach. The marinas here are gated and locked but since this is my first boat I don't know the environment very well yet.

I am planning to spend 3-4 nights a week on the boat so I would be there often.

It's unfortunate that I have to be this paranoid and prepared but it only takes one time for something wrong to happen.
I'm slipped at Redondo, it seems like a very low crime area (oddly enough) and there actually seems to be less theft here than when I was living in Nanaimo B.C. Canada. The gates do offer some protection but I have jumped them when I've left my card on the boat. There are several solo female liveaboards and so far, no complaints.

Your boat is your home, and unless you were worried about people following you to your dirt house, you shouldn't be too worried about people following you to your boat. If anything, it's harder to break into a locked boat than a locked home.

That one fear will pass. Now for the next one.........

goat

edit ^^^or what Mark said.

Last edited by goat; 01-16-2016 at 04:23 PM. Reason: I type too slow
post #28 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If you lived in a house over the road from the marina would you sleep with the front door wide open?
Hell no! Have you seen the low life scum that live on boats?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #29 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

It's important to be able to feel safe and secure in your own space. So, it's worthwhile to do whatever it takes to accomplish that. Knowing your surroundings and maintaining situational awareness is key. Get to know your neighbors. Observe. Have a way to secure the boat from inside. Keep emergency numbers on speed dial. Don't take in strays. My elderly neighbor knows to hit her car alarm button, if she needs to attract my attention. Ease yourself in to the sleepovers. Invite a trusted friend to hang out with you one night, see how that goes. There's nothing wrong in being prudent and cautious. I would be more concerned if you weren't. As long as you don't let it keep you from living life the way you want to.
post #30 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Hell no! Have you seen the low life scum that live on boats?
LOL, ya goose, Don!

I meant: wherever I live in the city either a house or an appartment I always shut and lock the front door.
That's not fear paranoia ... its just normal common sense, isn't it?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in