Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

OPPs just saw where you are slipped... This has a bigggg bearing on safety at her marina... I always felt safe in the Everett, WA marina as a single sleeper there... never an issue with safety or theft at all... Feel just as safe here... ie, no thefts or crime.... if crime ridden or spooky to be there then she should move the boat to a safer marina.

Marina Del Ray, San Pedro, Newport Beach and Alamitos Marinsa are safe marinas... at least when I was there last year... I don't think you have a worry now that I know where you have your boat slipped but I would still take some precautions as other have mentioned.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 01-15-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

You're probably going to have to trust your own judgement on this. There are a few things that you can do. If you can move to a dock with other live a boards on it you'll probably become part of a group that looks out after each other. Locked gates help too. Check with other women at your harbor and ask the harbor master if he/she is aware of anything you should be concerned with. Most harbors seem really safe so unless you're getting cat calls and knuckle draggers drooling in your direction you really shouldn't have any issues. My daughter has stayed on my boats and never had issues. Depending on you point of view, you could take a few weeks of a Krav Mega course and keep a winch handle close… We had a nice girl living on our dock in SF. I had asked if she ever felt uncomfortable and her response was, "Hell no!" I really hope that your in a harbor where others love the water and appreciate other sailors too! Good luck.
post #33 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
Old enough to know better

I think it depends on the marina. But where I am it seems more secure than most apartment complexes. I don't really see it any different than an apartment complex. I would make certain your boat has a way to secure the companion way from the inside. Even a simple barrel bolt that can stop the companionway from sliding open if you have standard drop hatch boards. I think if you went to the marina, and looked around for a female there to talk to you could ask what they think of security in the marina. I am about 40 miles north of NYC and do not lock the boat when I am on it or when off, nether does it appear many do. This was true in the marinas north of me, and while looking at boats it was very common to have the owner say, yea just go ahead and go on board and take a look. Of course the only electronics I have on board is a 1975 AM/FM radio with cassette. Heck it does not even have presets on it!
Sal Paradise likes this.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #34 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Dock

Definitely would depend on the marina. Mine has a pretty close-knit feel to it, and while I don't know how many liveaboard for the season, I do know that when I've stayed, I feel plenty safe enough (pretty rural area anyway) that I don't usually lock the cabin from inside, though I do have a barrel lock if I felt the need. But I've also been greeted in the mornings by other people in the morning when I step onto the dock, and everyone else around always seems to look out for their fellow boaters. I had closed my cockpit drain seacock one day and forgot when I went home that night, came up the next weekend, and a neighbor had seen the water accumulating and was kind enough to open it up for me. I've also even left my horseshoe buoy out all season and it never disappeared. So, I consider that a good find.

I would suggest certainly talking to the other people around and try to get a feel for how comfortable they are, and use that to gauge yourself. And as suggested, if there are other people that liveaboard or stay overnight, carry a personal alarm. If something DOES go bump in the night and comes on board, one of those is sure to draw instant attention from others who will hopefully at least sound the alarm to bring help. I'd venture any marina that allows liveaboards is more likely to be safer, simply since a crook or something is less likely to attempt a break-in when there are potential witnesses out there.

I've never had a second thought, in either location I've been in so far. I'm sure you'll be fine, it's just getting that first night under your belt!

Horizons Found
1976 Newport 28

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #35 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

It's a reasonably safe place to sleep alone. Of course, it's ultimately up to you to provide for your self defense.

I've spent enough time around criminals to know that they don't think like the rest of us. They believe that if you fail to adequately protect that which they wish to take from you, then you have basically "given it up" to them. My personal protection is based on that concept.
Donna_F, gamayun and seabeau like this.
post #36 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstick View Post
Hi all,

I am in Southern California and most marinas I've researched seem pretty safe here. I am looking at Marina Del Rey, Redondo Beach and Long Beach. The marinas here are gated and locked but since this is my first boat I don't know the environment very well yet.
I don't mean to make you more paranoid, but I've gotten myself into many gated and locked marinas, either by someone holding the gate open or scaling the fence -- "security" is just another way to mitigate fear by perception. There are plenty of safety courses and things you can do to make yourself less of a potential victim. Locks are always good. Being "unobtrusive" is another (fancy jewelry can be an obvious target). Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Always trust your gut. Maybe get a dog
Donna_F likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to gamayun For This Useful Post:
jjstick (01-15-2016)
post #37 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I'm just here waiting for the gun nuts to show up.
I suppose I qualify as a gun nut. But I'd never try to talk someone who isn't familiar with them into keeping one around... inexperienced people with guns scare h*** out of me.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 01-15-2016 at 08:52 PM.
post #38 of 91 Old 01-16-2016

This OP has posted in several different forums regarding living aboard in SoCal marinas. I don't know if she's naive, new to sailing, trolling Sailnet, or all of the above. Either way, living aboard in SoCal is no cakewalk, and isn't something you can just move in to, even in the cheapest marinas. I was on the live aboard list for 5 years before I moved back to the desert, and I never got the call from the harbor master telling me that my that my request had been approved.

Which is not the same thing as saying that I didn't end up being a (mostly) sneak aboard live aboard, spending more than the legally allowed four nights onboard. And, there is a right way to do that, and a wrong way.

The right way is to do it incrementally. Keep your $hit tight, your head down, your car clean (yes, this is an important aspect to sneaking aboard), and avoid cramming your cockpit with $hit that screams "I live here", and basically be as invisible as you can possibly be. No partying with fellow dock inhabitants. Basically, keeping to yourself will keep the management off your ass. It also helps if you pay your slip fee on time, every time, or in advance.

I enjoyed my live aboard/sneak aboard time, and would have been perfectly happy to spend the rest of my life doing so. Alas, my career aspirations didn't allow such vagrant behavior.
Sal Paradise likes this.
post #39 of 91 Old 01-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I'm just here waiting for the gun nuts to show up.
Sal, do you really think taking an offensive approach and calling them nuts is going to be productive?

Next time a discussion of waste systems, repower or anchors comes up, should I suggest the composter nuts, electric propulsion nuts or rocna nuts are about to show up?

I can't recall anyone that advocates any particular form of self-defense referring to those that disagree as nuts, before a counter point is even made. It seems name calling is the written weapon of choice for those that take your position on this particular issue and it's explicitly why threads get shut down as a result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
Donna_F (01-16-2016), sharkbait (01-18-2016)
post #40 of 91 Old 01-16-2016 Thread Starter

I'm not only new to sailing, I'm VERY new. I am a person who does my homework and tries to learn as much as I can about my ventures before I get into them. I am very thankful that I stumbled across this forum and have received a plethora of information, feedback and experience from some of the most experienced sailers out there. So I appreciate all your responses and apologize if anyone else thinks I'm a troll with legitimate questions.
redfishnc likes this.

Last edited by jjstick; 01-16-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in