Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina? - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 91 Old 01-16-2016
Captain Obvious

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Sal, do you really think taking an offensive approach and calling them nuts is going to be productive?

Next time a discussion of waste systems, repower or anchors comes up, should I suggest the composter nuts, electric propulsion nuts or rocna nuts are about to show up?

I can't recall anyone that advocates any particular form of self-defense referring to those that disagree as nuts, before a counter point is even made. It seems name calling is the written weapon of choice for those that take your position on this particular issue and it's explicitly why threads get shut down as a result.
Well when the composting toilet miltia take over a federal building, I'll agree with you 100%!

Really, I was joking, and I am beginning to think humor is the only way to deal with it. I am sorry if I pissed you off.
inshallamiami likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
The Following User Says Thank You to Sal Paradise For This Useful Post:
Minnewaska (01-16-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 91 Old 01-16-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
Well when the composting toilet miltia take over a federal building, I'll agree with you 100%!

Really, I was joking, and I am beginning to think humor is the only way to deal with it. I am sorry if I pissed you off.
Thanks for the comment.

Just keep in mind that there are criminals that use composting toilets and honest people that defend themselves however they see fit. It's who you are that makes you nuts, not these choices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #43 of 91 Old 01-16-2016

How about we focus on trying to make jj feel safe on her boat-to-be....

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #44 of 91 Old 01-16-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

jj. i finally got enough interwebzzz to be able to see your intended locations.
you are most wise to have avoided port of lost angels. that is source of all ebvil, but if yer strong enough it canbe pieceo fcake. stalker wars happened there, so......
redondo, mdr and long beach are ok mdr-- difficult to exit marina in sailing season, i found. redondo, king harbor was a lil busy in earthquakes, as moles turned to mush in 1994. northridge, that one.
shoreline marina, long beach, usually has availabilities. i was there for a bit, before i went to all larson's in fish harbor, (terminal island, where everyone is terminal) my favorite lost angels marina. not gated, but the pen is next door and the guards have yer back. is a fed pen. all on video from th e last cross street before pen until the innards of the place, so is better than guarded. i loved fish harbor. was away from the many. like a small town. we all knew each other, not have to lock up at all, and the guys watched over the gals .. yeah we were safe. even without gates
shoreline in long beach was large and closest to downtown. lbpd were the security guards.
alamitos has a waiting list as long as the line awaiting perfect mates....
in each and every one of the locations you desire slippage the marina is gated and guarded unless specified in the description. yes i lived in all the areas except alamitos. list to wait was way too long.
troy2000 and jjstick like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #45 of 91 Old 01-16-2016

I have a new neighbor on a 34 foot motoryacht. She spends a lot of time on board. She feels very safe. We have liveaboards in our marina, although none on our particular dock. It's a friendly environment and we all watch out for one another. No issues other than a few years ago some dumba$$ on a broken down old mobo was stealing outboards. When he stole some from the (no kiddin', real name) Outboard Motor Shop, they finally nailed him. Waterborne predators are the worst, but usually come in droves and are looking for material things, not people. Good advice here. Go for it, many places are less safe, much less.

And welcome to our little world here and on the other boating forums most of us visit regularly (sbo.com, cruisersforum, individual class association one design websites, and the like).

And by all means: HAVE FUN.
jjstick likes this.

Stu Jackson, Catalina 34, 1986, M25 engine, Rocna 10 (22#), Maple Bay, BC, Canada
post #46 of 91 Old 01-16-2016
Kynntana (Freedom 38)

Welcome, JJ. Ask away. We were all new once (I still feel "very new" all the time).

Unfortunate for you that you used the word "plethora" in your last post. I did the same in an email message to a friend a couple of days ago, so now I need to lead you also to this YouTube funny:
Let the trolls troll while you keep it light, keep it fun, and always keep on learning
jjstick likes this.
post #47 of 91 Old 01-17-2016

We lived aboard in southern California for three years. My husband was active duty Navy at the time and was gone well over 50% of the time, leaving me and our pre-teen daughter alone on the boat. I have never felt safer anywhere. I would also not hesitate to stay alone here in our marina in Baltimore. Location, security, and familiarity with the community in the marina could make the difference. Are you uncomfortable with any of these for some reason?

Becky
post #48 of 91 Old 01-17-2016

Hi jj, I'm living aboard since 2006, only a tiny period not on my own. I'm not in California, but Mediterranean and Atlantic. I've spent months in remote anchorages far away from villages or other sailors, I've stayed in fishing-ports and marinas. And I've been to Marocco. Never ever did I have a problem, to the contrary. I do lock my boat when I'm away, but never when home.

I'm a bit ashamed to have to admit something: people are pretty used to guys doing this kind of thing and nobody would ever loose a word about it. Do the same thing as a female and suddenly people behave as if you are doing something very special. It is sometimes difficult to convince them that there is no difference, and it takes a while for them to shake off the "protective mode".

I don't like big cities, so I stay away from them anyways. I don't wear jewellery, I don't dress up with high heels and things, no makeup and no long and red fingernails which are very unpractical to live aboard anyway.

So far I've always been treated with the respect a seamen gets.

Hope that gives you some confidence, no need to worry!

Fair winds
Dody
Donna_F and gamayun like this.
post #49 of 91 Old 01-17-2016

The OP's concern should be falling in the water. In the Oakland / Alameda estuary, I know of at least 3 deaths in recent years where people fell off the dock. Very sad.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
post #50 of 91 Old 01-18-2016
69' Coronado 25

Dock

My daughter spent a week on the boat with no problems coming in late at night, my boat is in a sketchy area (very industrial) I worried more about the drive from the freeway to the marina than being at the marina. In the US most marinas are a community and most boat owners watch out for others. I once forgot to lock the boat, came back a week later and had no problems.

"There are those that stand at the shore looking to the sea, wondering, and there are those standing at the helm looking back at shore, knowing." - Kurt Leisenfelder

"Fiberglass shells that let us breathe, let us smell, keep us from going numb"- Kurt Leisenfelder

My Avatar is a pic of my son - Jan 19, 2014.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in