Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina? - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 91 Old 01-18-2016

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
The OP's concern should be falling in the water. In the Oakland / Alameda estuary, I know of at least 3 deaths in recent years where people fell off the dock. Very sad.
Wow- did they just not know how to swim or was the dock to difficult to get back on? Or were they intoxicated?

JJ, I have slept alone in marinas on the east coast, west coast north and south and even on inland lakes. Never had a problem with anyone even sniffing around. Now I am male, but a lot of female sailors are tough enough that I would rather rob me, so I don't think it makes any difference...
Good luck in your search. Living on water is always better.

Integrity and honesty mean more than money and fame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 91 Old 01-18-2016

Hi jj, I had to think again about your question last night.

Don't bother worrying about people, put you energy into practical stuff instead - the only real danger is you!

Ask yourself: would you be confident to replace a broken mooring-line at night and with bad weather? If you're cooking on gas, are you confident to replace the gas-bottle when empty on your own? Do you know what fuses are, where to find them and how to replace them or chuck them back in (should actually say more to this subject, but right here it's a start)? Do you know where your through-hulls are and what to do when a hose should break below the waterline? And certainly, as Mark said: do you know how to avoid falling in the water and - if that should happen - to get out safe and alive?

These are some examples of things you should be concerned about and prepare yourself, not people!

Fair winds, Dody
CentralPallor likes this.
post #53 of 91 Old 01-18-2016
al brazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
Wow- did they just not know how to swim or was the dock to difficult to get back on? Or were they intoxicated?

JJ, I have slept alone in marinas on the east coast, west coast north and south and even on inland lakes. Never had a problem with anyone even sniffing around. Now I am male, but a lot of female sailors are tough enough that I would rather rob me, so I don't think it makes any difference...
Good luck in your search. Living on water is always better.
I rig my boat with a drop line and one to pull it over to the pier for boarding, working on it etc. If on board for extended periods the original system will need to be restorable for safety of the vessel in storms. I agree the situational aspects of boat life are paramount to survival. We too have lost people to the water at the dock, and its quite disturbing so without dwelling precautions should be taken. Floating docks are much better to deal with but I like to leave the boat away from everything. Agree with all the Location and security comments but just do it don't let all the answers and further questions get in the way of enjoying your Boat.
shadowraiths likes this.
post #54 of 91 Old 01-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dody View Post
Hi jj, I had to think again about your question last night.

Don't bother worrying about people, put you energy into practical stuff instead - the only real danger is you!

Ask yourself: would you be confident to replace a broken mooring-line at night and with bad weather? If you're cooking on gas, are you confident to replace the gas-bottle when empty on your own? Do you know what fuses are, where to find them and how to replace them or chuck them back in (should actually say more to this subject, but right here it's a start)? Do you know where your through-hulls are and what to do when a hose should break below the waterline? And certainly, as Mark said: do you know how to avoid falling in the water and - if that should happen - to get out safe and alive?

These are some examples of things you should be concerned about and prepare yourself, not people!

Fair winds, Dody
PS: now, don't get too scared about these things please! People will help you to understand and get things right. Sailors do help each other!
Also, if you set your boat on fire theirs is in immediate danger too. The same is valid when your boat, after breaking mooring-lines, hits other boats.

Cheers & fair winds
Dody
post #55 of 91 Old 01-18-2016

Dock

Some of the best people we have ever met has been at the Marina and surely some of the best sleeping can be done on the boat. It is the motion.
post #56 of 91 Old 01-19-2016 Thread Starter

Well after highly considering getting my first boat, the fact is I just dont feel safe by myself. I'm glad there is such a positive consensus about sailing solo but I just can't have peace of mind by myself.
post #57 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

So sad to hear this jj!

But, what is it that does make you feel "safe" in a house on your own which doesn't make you feel "safe" in a boat on your own?

cheers, Dody
post #58 of 91 Old 01-19-2016
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Cheese and Rice...6 pages of one-off tales of woe?

By now, the OP has sold her boat and bought a Winnebago and is sleeping in the desert. Way to go, people.

Dear OP-

No, sleeping in a marina is not safe. The environment outside of your home isn't safe. Nowhere is safe.
Everywhere has an element of risk. Accept it, embrace it. IMO, most marinas within the continental US are at the low end of the "risk spectrum" for violent crime, and at the low-to-middle range of the "risk spectrum" for petty crime like dinghy and outboard motor theft.

Why is everyone so hell bent on dying quietly on their sofa?

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
The Following User Says Thank You to Ajax_MD For This Useful Post:
Cande (01-19-2016)
post #59 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstick View Post
Well after highly considering getting my first boat.....
That's a plot twist.....

Getting your first boat is a ton more nerve wracking than staying aboard overnight. You have to do what's comfortable for you, but I would be willing to bet there is more in the subconscious than personal security.
Sal Paradise likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #60 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

I am locked in every night at anchor or in a marina.

Also there's small tear gas canisters available to have by your bed.

Mark
Where did you get the security screen?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in