Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.......... Eleanor Roosevelt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

Dock
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Where did you get the security screen?
I took the normal 2 part companiinway door, as a template, to a security door maker. The first one couldn't do it because its not exacty rectangular. But I finally found a place and it was dirt cheap - I think $50... but that's far too cheap, maybe it was $150? Whatever the price it was negligible for what I got.

I love it. Sturdy and lets the air through
seabeau likes this.

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 01-19-2016 at 12:32 PM.
post #73 of 91 Old 01-19-2016
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

I think we all tend to forget, or simply be unaware, that "bad things" have always happened. It is just now, with Entertainment Nooze and the Global Village of the internet, that the bad things are being discussed (dare I say glorified?) more frequently.
Slow day in the US? OK, the national Nooze will literally show an overturned tractor trailer in Beijing. Or a landslide, or something else that is equally routine and really not relevant half a world away.

How long ago was Brian Palma's "Straw Dogs" a hit movie? And gangs, and bad men, and bad things, happened way before that. The marauders and raiders that went around en masse after our US Civil War were the cause of major changes in our firearms laws, and in our military and militia laws, that persist to this day.

Life isn't all Nooze and Hollywood, but there are still certain simple precautions, like having and locking stout doors, that have always made sense. Even if your "problem" is not an attacking Viking hoard.
post #74 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstick View Post
Well after highly considering getting my first boat, the fact is I just dont feel safe by myself. I'm glad there is such a positive consensus about sailing solo but I just can't have peace of mind by myself.
Goodness! There's as much discussion since you posted that you're giving up your dream of getting a boat as there was (most) people trying to give you the confidence to sleep on the boat and feel safe.

If I read BubbleheadMd's advice out of context I would think he/she was being too forceful. But you should take to heart everything he says. He's trying to help you break through your unrealistic fears.

Here in Upstate New York, it's been cold, and will be for several more months. I am SO anxious to put our boat in the water this spring. I assume my husband will sleep there with me, but he might not-- especially when he's got meetings in the morning to which he must wear a suit.

So when it's cold, one of the things we do here is read, and here are some great books. You can pick them up at your library.

"The Cruising Woman's Advisor," by Diana Jessie
"Changing Course, A Woman's Guide to Choosing the Cruising Life,"6 by Debra Ann Cantrell
"Women at the Helm," by Jeannine Talley

And just get out there sailing with other people-- people you don't even know yet. Put your name on the bulletin boards of some marinas that you find appealing. And just go sailing!

Oh, and have Fun!
seabeau likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cande For This Useful Post:
jjstick (01-19-2016)
post #75 of 91 Old 01-19-2016

Dock

Love it! Love your attitude! Cande
post #76 of 91 Old 01-20-2016

sailing and boats are not for everyone. for many reasons.
people fear things.

Suffering from the fears and nightmares you describe. Is not a good way to live. I am not going to pretend to know why you feel this way. If it is adversely affecting your ability to enjoy life.
Talk to someone.
post #77 of 91 Old 01-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstick View Post
I just feel there are too many unknowns for me to feel comfortable. I have been having nightmares every night (related to being alone and someone breaking in) and I think those nightmares will escalate once on a boat.

I think the difference between on land and in a marina is that on a dock, you are in much closer proximity to your neighbors. The nature of the docks make it that much more obvious when you leave and come back. Your dock neighbors will hear you opening your latches, talking, walking, jumping into your boat etc..

I also think part of it is feeling at mercy to my dock neighbors and the dockmaster. As in, if one neighbor doesn't like me for whatever reason, I will be evicted the next day. I feel I won't be welcomed.

As for locking the campanionway, my belief is that if someone wants to break in, they will find a way. No locks or weaponry or self defense is going to help me if someone is determined to attack. Hey, they can just wait 'till I start walking to my car...
I am closer with my marina neighbors than the neighbors around my home. At home we are all living busy lives, rushing off to work, hauling kids around. At the marina it's leisure time. Life is a little slower. People take the time to talk with each other, make dinner plans together, boat together and BBQ together. Marinas are communities.

Online you get a skewed view of reality. Pick a sunny Saturday morning and visit a few marinas. You'll find folks are friendly. Tell the women you meet there that you're thinking about living aboard a couple of days a week and ask how they like the place. You'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Don't let your anxieties run away and keep you from enjoying life.

Currently Boatless

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by JimMcGee; 01-20-2016 at 11:33 AM.
post #78 of 91 Old 01-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
I am closer with my marina neighbors than the neighbors around my home.......
+1 I've made best friend quality friends at the marina. I have folks I know around the house.

I think in the OP's case, however, this really came down to having no experience owning a boat and that was possibly the larger fear, perhaps subconsciously.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
jjstick (01-20-2016)
post #79 of 91 Old 01-21-2016
Captain Obvious

MY impression is this had little to do with sailing, but was someone who wanted to live aboard as an alternative to renting an apartment.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #80 of 91 Old 01-26-2016

not to worry, California is a gun free zone. just get a big can of bear spray.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in