SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

41K views 90 replies 47 participants last post by  siddfynch 
#1 ·
Hi ladies,

I'm still very skeptical about staying overnight on my boat alone in the marina. This is the one thing keeping me away from getting a slip. I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts. Thanks in advance

#2 ·
I have often been the sole person sleeping on a boat in a marina. I have never given it a second thought.

What concerns you?

#4 · (Edited)
At first I thought this a really odd question. Until I noticed its in the her net sailing section.

I am a Grumpy Old Guy so my thoughts or ideas may not be relevant to you. If you are a young lady.
Perhaps I am naïve but I prefer to think the best of people rather than the worst. Most people I have met on docks around the world have been friendly when I am friendly.
There are many places I might have visited happily, I would advise my Daughter to stay clear off. They were not the kind of harbours yachts frequent anyway.
I can think of nowhere on the west coast where I would worry about my daughter on the boat alone. Marinas, Public Docks, Anchorages or Marine Parks.
If you are concerned stick to Marinas with security gates and night watch. I have often tied up in small fishing or commercial docks. They are often the friendliest. Working sailors may look a bit rough but most are good guys.

I think popular sailing destinations have just to many people around for bad guys to feel comfortable operating.

#5 ·
Ok I think that depends on where you are. If you are in Venezuela that might be a problem. Or say Syria could pose a bit of a risk. Or in downtown Baltimore along one of the piers?

So where are you?

By the way I read your question to my Admiral and her first response was where is she going to sleep in a hotel. Her second response was why did she by a boat then. Not my questions but the Admirals. Food for thought I guess.

#6 ·
I can't say I've heard of anyone being accosted, while sleeping on their boat in the marina. I suppose it depends on your neighborhood. We had some crusty old dude sitting on a folding chair and whittling at the top of the dock last summer. He was there all day and no one knew who he was. My wife was not comfortable going to the shoreside restrooms that evening.

There are all kinds of personal security apps these days. You can set a timer in your car and, if you don't shut if off when you get to your boat, it will automatically call the police. Once aboard, there are many ways to secure yourself below, which depend on how much airflow you need where you are.

I've never heard this being a serious issue in the States. Where are you?

#7 ·
Girl here. If this is your first experience with putting your boat in a slip, it's a valid question. I bought my first boat when I was single and, frankly, never gave it a thought so good for you for being more cautious.

I've slept in my boat alone when I was more or less alone in my marina (ungated). We have one yard guy who lives on his Tayana farther down the dock and at various times at least one other liveaboard.

It really comes down to YOUR comfort level. If you have the option, choose a marina you'd feel more comfortable in overnight. I don't remember from your other posts if you're planning to live aboard. I don't. The times I stay by myself, without my SO, is usually when I just want to get some boat work done without distraction or if I drive down mid-week after work to prepare the boat for a hurricane or whatever and don't feel like driving the two hours back home.

When you are marina shopping choose one based on how you're planning on using it beyond simply putting your boat in the slip.

#8 ·
Pragmatics:
Most hatches have a ventilation setting where they are open just a wee bit but still can be locked.
You are required to carry a fire extinguisher in each cabin, galley and engine room. Place one next to the berth you are sleeping in along with the air horn you are required to carry. Also have your million,candle light search light next to your berth.
Turn off all lights.
Lock the boat up from the inside.
If some one boards between being blinded by the bright light, confused by the air horn, frozen by the fire extinguisher foam in their face likelihood is even a petit lady can drive the sharpest galley knife into the boarder if necessary. We have a line cutter on a pole for clearing lobster pot lines. It would serve well to repell boarders.
Of course if you are still disquieted you can alarm the companionway, get mace etc.
When we were both working thought about this as wife is only 4'10". You are as safe as the biggest longshoreman with a bit of forethought. Boardings are a extraordinary occurrence . Don't worry be happy.

#10 ·
i am female sola cruising with a cat. i have been very safe in marinas, when i use em. cat, however, has not been so fortunate as critters crawl around at night. the 2 legged kind usually donot bother me.
there is security in marinas, so inhabitants donot experience the distress of intrusions.
i generally keep a fish counting gaff at bedside, and a bowie knife....
other items of household use are excellent weaponry if you are nervous.
i sleep with my boat unlocked, but i am not in venezuela nor in any area with any kind of real danger to me.
where are you located???

#11 ·
Hi all,

I am in Southern California and most marinas I've researched seem pretty safe here. I am looking at Marina Del Rey, Redondo Beach and Long Beach. The marinas here are gated and locked but since this is my first boat I don't know the environment very well yet.

I am planning to spend 3-4 nights a week on the boat so I would be there often.

It's unfortunate that I have to be this paranoid and prepared but it only takes one time for something wrong to happen.

#27 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am in Southern California and most marinas I've researched seem pretty safe here. I am looking at Marina Del Rey, Redondo Beach and Long Beach. The marinas here are gated and locked but since this is my first boat I don't know the environment very well yet.

I am planning to spend 3-4 nights a week on the boat so I would be there often.

It's unfortunate that I have to be this paranoid and prepared but it only takes one time for something wrong to happen.
I'm slipped at Redondo, it seems like a very low crime area (oddly enough) and there actually seems to be less theft here than when I was living in Nanaimo B.C. Canada. The gates do offer some protection but I have jumped them when I've left my card on the boat. There are several solo female liveaboards and so far, no complaints.

Your boat is your home, and unless you were worried about people following you to your dirt house, you shouldn't be too worried about people following you to your boat. If anything, it's harder to break into a locked boat than a locked home.

That one fear will pass. Now for the next one.........

goat

edit ^^^or what Mark said. :)

#16 ·
My wife and I spend a lot of time at our marina, and at others around the SF Bay area. We feel very safe, although common sense suggests that we all use "situational awareness". I haven't made a system of locking the companionway from the inside, but I think it is a good idea.

#17 ·
It all comes down to location...location...location.
At our marina, (she never has) but my wife would not hesitate to stay alone on the boat, and I would let her. I might add that our boat cannot be locked from the inside and there are no locked gates, cameras or any kind of security.
It all depends on the marina and the people who make up the marina community.

#19 ·
Our boat, a J37, can easily lock from the inside, but I can't imagine a boat in which you couldn't rig a secure lock mechanism. Good luck!
I was so sure there was nothing to be concerned about, but now that I've read some of the comments about being at least cautious, I will be from now on. So thank you!

#20 ·
I think it all comes down to the marina location and what type of foot traffic it might get. If I thought it was dickey I would just put the companionway board in and close the hatch and lock it from inside. But I guess that depends a lot on what other port-lights you have for ventilation.

Never have had a problem on the boat, just in my house that was in a development in almost no where.

#21 ·
Location... Location is about right... we overnight on our boat and don't lock up any of the hatches and when nights are cool enough to not have the deadly gnats/mosquitoes we leave the hatches open but with bug screens... on warmer summer nights we'll pad up the deck and sleep watching the stars... but the thought about someone boarding while you're asleep is always there even if it is relatively safe...

#22 ·
Not to diminish the experience of some of those who responded, and thank you very much for the comments and especially the security suggestions, but I think the OP's main concern is as a woman alone in a marina. Those who are a "we" don't have quite the same concerns.

Reactions: shadowraiths
#24 ·
Granted... but someone wanting to cause harm does not know there is one (female or male), two, three, whatever inhabitants on a boat inside behind the closed hatches at 3AM in the morning or whatever time... I think any 'woman' wanting to stay alone in a marina on her boat overnight will have to 'man up' and deal with it... other women on this and other forums have.

#25 · (Edited)
Initially, I dismissed this question because there are so many other things to fear, which can have little bearing on risk. You need to personally understand both the rational risk (i.e., what's the level of crime in your area) and any irrational response to that risk (i.e., there's never been a rape in this particular marina yet the possibility of a predator scares me). In my current marina, I've had to walk around a body covered in a sheet near the gate to my boat (no idea how this person died), there was a shoot out right in front of the marina as I was rigging my boat one morning because some crazy stole a cop's van for a ride through the city, two windows have been broken on my car in the parking lot and stuff stolen, my helm cover mysteriously disappeared a couple weeks ago, and there have been footprints (both dog and human) on my boat. I now lock my hatches and after some urging by a friend, I did install a latch on the inside of my cockpit hatch. I also sleep next to an extremely large socket wrench. But I still don't fear sleeping on my boat alone. Obviously, I have a high tolerance for risk. So it really depends on your own fears and how you can manage them. Others' perspectives here are not going to help you, because you can arm yourself to the teeth and still wake up every time the boat twitches with a tide change.

Oh, I have taken to not going to the showers at 11pm any more....I do have a threshold.

#29 ·
It's important to be able to feel safe and secure in your own space. So, it's worthwhile to do whatever it takes to accomplish that. Knowing your surroundings and maintaining situational awareness is key. Get to know your neighbors. Observe. Have a way to secure the boat from inside. Keep emergency numbers on speed dial. Don't take in strays. My elderly neighbor knows to hit her car alarm button, if she needs to attract my attention. Ease yourself in to the sleepovers. Invite a trusted friend to hang out with you one night, see how that goes. There's nothing wrong in being prudent and cautious. I would be more concerned if you weren't. As long as you don't let it keep you from living life the way you want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.