Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina? - SailNet Community
 88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 91 Old 01-15-2016 Thread Starter

Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

Hi ladies,

I'm still very skeptical about staying overnight on my boat alone in the marina. This is the one thing keeping me away from getting a slip. I'd love to hear your experiences and thoughts. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Re: Is it safe to sleep overnight at the marina?

I have often been the sole person sleeping on a boat in a marina. I have never given it a second thought.

What concerns you?

ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
post #3 of 91 Old 01-15-2016 Thread Starter

Just worst case scenario if someone is a predator and basically breaks in my boat or follows me...
post #4 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

At first I thought this a really odd question. Until I noticed its in the her net sailing section.

I am a Grumpy Old Guy so my thoughts or ideas may not be relevant to you. If you are a young lady.
Perhaps I am na´ve but I prefer to think the best of people rather than the worst. Most people I have met on docks around the world have been friendly when I am friendly.
There are many places I might have visited happily, I would advise my Daughter to stay clear off. They were not the kind of harbours yachts frequent anyway.
I can think of nowhere on the west coast where I would worry about my daughter on the boat alone. Marinas, Public Docks, Anchorages or Marine Parks.
If you are concerned stick to Marinas with security gates and night watch. I have often tied up in small fishing or commercial docks. They are often the friendliest. Working sailors may look a bit rough but most are good guys.

I think popular sailing destinations have just to many people around for bad guys to feel comfortable operating.

Last edited by Uricanejack; 01-15-2016 at 04:24 AM.
post #5 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
Full time cruiser

Ok I think that depends on where you are. If you are in Venezuela that might be a problem. Or say Syria could pose a bit of a risk. Or in downtown Baltimore along one of the piers?

So where are you?

By the way I read your question to my Admiral and her first response was where is she going to sleep in a hotel. Her second response was why did she by a boat then. Not my questions but the Admirals. Food for thought I guess.

Just our thoughts and opinion
Chuck, Patty and SVSoulMates
Wintering over in Israel
post #6 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

I can't say I've heard of anyone being accosted, while sleeping on their boat in the marina. I suppose it depends on your neighborhood. We had some crusty old dude sitting on a folding chair and whittling at the top of the dock last summer. He was there all day and no one knew who he was. My wife was not comfortable going to the shoreside restrooms that evening.

There are all kinds of personal security apps these days. You can set a timer in your car and, if you don't shut if off when you get to your boat, it will automatically call the police. Once aboard, there are many ways to secure yourself below, which depend on how much airflow you need where you are.

I've never heard this being a serious issue in the States. Where are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
The most female moderator

Dock

Girl here. If this is your first experience with putting your boat in a slip, it's a valid question. I bought my first boat when I was single and, frankly, never gave it a thought so good for you for being more cautious.

I've slept in my boat alone when I was more or less alone in my marina (ungated). We have one yard guy who lives on his Tayana farther down the dock and at various times at least one other liveaboard.

It really comes down to YOUR comfort level. If you have the option, choose a marina you'd feel more comfortable in overnight. I don't remember from your other posts if you're planning to live aboard. I don't. The times I stay by myself, without my SO, is usually when I just want to get some boat work done without distraction or if I drive down mid-week after work to prepare the boat for a hurricane or whatever and don't feel like driving the two hours back home.

When you are marina shopping choose one based on how you're planning on using it beyond simply putting your boat in the slip.
T37Chef and flandria like this.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #8 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Pragmatics:
Most hatches have a ventilation setting where they are open just a wee bit but still can be locked.
You are required to carry a fire extinguisher in each cabin, galley and engine room. Place one next to the berth you are sleeping in along with the air horn you are required to carry. Also have your million,candle light search light next to your berth.
Turn off all lights.
Lock the boat up from the inside.
If some one boards between being blinded by the bright light, confused by the air horn, frozen by the fire extinguisher foam in their face likelihood is even a petit lady can drive the sharpest galley knife into the boarder if necessary. We have a line cutter on a pole for clearing lobster pot lines. It would serve well to repell boarders.
Of course if you are still disquieted you can alarm the companionway, get mace etc.
When we were both working thought about this as wife is only 4'10". You are as safe as the biggest longshoreman with a bit of forethought. Boardings are a extraordinary occurrence . Don't worry be happy.
Dbtindale likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #9 of 91 Old 01-15-2016

Oh- did I mention she has a cc license and has some person defense training.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #10 of 91 Old 01-15-2016
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i am female sola cruising with a cat. i have been very safe in marinas, when i use em. cat, however, has not been so fortunate as critters crawl around at night. the 2 legged kind usually donot bother me.
there is security in marinas, so inhabitants donot experience the distress of intrusions.
i generally keep a fish counting gaff at bedside, and a bowie knife....
other items of household use are excellent weaponry if you are nervous.
i sleep with my boat unlocked, but i am not in venezuela nor in any area with any kind of real danger to me.
where are you located???
Sal Paradise likes this.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in