Developing Courage - Managing Fear - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 54 Old 07-30-2019

Re: Developing Courage - Managing Fear

Anxiety has been defined as the anticipation of fear. Anxiety is total counterproductive. I think anxiety not fear is what holds people back from much of the joys of sailing.
I went halvies on several boats with another doc. It made sense as with our call schedules the boat sat otherwise and of course expenses were halved as well. He loved sailing in weather. I thought he was nuts. However, when neither of us were on all off we go together. Usually a fresh breeze or strong breeze but occasionally a gale. I got use to it and actually started to enjoy the power and majesty of an angry ocean. Never sort it out like him but did lose the anxiety associated with weather within reason.
My (at the time) 10 year old and I were out cruising for the weekend. We needed to get back by Monday for school and work. We got caught out in a constant 30 kts. Needing to free a line gave her the helm. Got back as quick as I could and found her smiling. Surfing the boat with great skill and control. Anticipating the 10-12’ ers better than most helmsmen I know. Giggling time to time as the spray hit her. She had lots of prior experience helming with me by her side but this was fairly new. She knew not to broach or gybe. Thing is she had no preconceived ideas so no anxiety. She had the skills from prior experience and was able to apply them flawlessly. I left left her at helm with instructions to turn it over to me when she wanted and stayed by her side. When she had to pee I got the helm again.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 54 Old 07-30-2019

Many people, especially children don't understand their own limitations. This may get them into trouble. Prudence may be knowing that you don't know and need to protect yourself from your ignorance and short comings. Maybe

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #53 of 54 Old 07-30-2019

Thatís why they come with parents most of the time.😁
SanderO likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #54 of 54 Old 07-30-2019
One of None

Going to toss a log on the fire here since it's been burning... what? three years?

This really isn't about the women being afraid it's about the men being afraid to leave the helm! Face it guys you don't wanna give it up!! (This is meant to be humorous! [emoji56][emoji1787] if you haven't figured that out so don't get all crazy on me)

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in