Safety on board when sailing alone - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 54 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
Novice but Stubborn

Re: Safety on board when sailing alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Motion detectors at every hardware store about $20.

Just because many local people in the Caribbean are black it doesn't mean you need a gun.

You need a gun more in your own country than the Caribbean.

Yes, you can sail by yourself unless you are a compete idiot.

12 years is self imposed. Get off your fat bum and save more money now and retire in 5 years. I retired at 48 and it was the best decision I ever made.

Trying hard not to hear snippiness in your post.

Did I say anything about black people in my post? I don't think I did and actually when I picture someone sneaking on board I see a white male in his 30s for some reason.

I am not a paranoid type person but I am realistic. I carry my pistol all the time. You just never know. I am very careful, raised with guns.

I glad you were able to retire at 48. Even if I was able to retire right now I have family obligations I can't just up and abandon (my mother is 87 and needs me).
cloudwarmer likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 54 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
Novice but Stubborn

Thank you to the ones with the kind replies. I am a total novice and am in the planning stages. That is why I am asking questions. Of course I would check the laws of the countries I am near or visiting. I'm a paralegal. I know that stuff.

Some good advice about the motion detectors and such. That is what I plan on doing.

As for the ones who were rude, said for me to just stay home, etc., why do you have to be ugly? If you can't give helpful advice then I suggest you stay off a message board.
cloudwarmer likes this.
post #13 of 54 Old 07-07-2017

Traveling with a dog, outside of the US can be a hassle. The Bahamas and British Virgin Islands, and other countries, require a pet import permit which includes an APHIS health certificate and a rabies titer blood test (It requires blood to be drawn and sent to one of the certified testing centers). Even the US Virgin Islands requires a certified health certificate and a 6 month current rabies vaccination. My state only requires a rabies vaccination every two years, so the USVI has more restrictive requirements.

So, if you want to travel with a gun or a dog, it is easier to confine your cruising to the continental United States.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.
post #14 of 54 Old 07-07-2017
Freedom Chip Counter

just sharing my opinion for what it's worth....

I served 6 years in armed forces and members of my family belong to the NRA. I just don't see any scenario in where having a firearm on board a vessel in another Country ends successfully. If the intruder possesses a firearm, he has already made the decision to use it due to desperation. Unless you can disarm him with a single shot on a rocking boat, expect to see plenty of return fire. If the intruder is not in possession of a firearm there are many more safer, persuasive means of getting them off your boat other than brandishing a firearm in a foreign Country. You'll find many great counter tactics on this forum during your research.

Safe travels -

Tartan 31
post #15 of 54 Old 07-07-2017

Dock

Just go cruising in the Caribbean like everyone else.

What makes you need to look like Rambo when no one else does or needs to?

Reality is the price of rum, not anything else.

Mark
zeehag likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #16 of 54 Old 07-07-2017

Man ... a lot of people getting snippy about the question.

The fact is that carrying a firearm on a boat these days is complicated and difficult. Laws change each time you change ports. As a foreigner, if you ever _use_ the weapon you're going to have a lot of trouble with the local authorities.

But there is a _really_ good reason _not_ to have a gun on board when you cruise. And I've heard this repeated over and over again by many, many experienced cruisers: 99.99% of the people who would board your boat with malicious intent can be scared off with a spotlight. Stories of people being shot because they came out of their cabin brandishing a gun and caused panic in the boarders are frequent. Stories of cruisers keeping watch in the cockpit in sketchy anchorages and the simple act of them shining a spotlight was enough to scare away suspicious persons are numerous. Stories of people spending totally safe, uneventful nights in anchorages are so frequently it would be impossible to count them.

Stories of anyone protecting themselves with a gun while on a sailboat are non-existent. I've never heard a single one. If you know of any stories of this tactic being useful in the last 20 years, I'd be interested to hear it.

So, the reason for not carrying a gun is simple statistics: The chances of you needing it are near zero. The chances that attempting to use it will make the situation worse are small, but existent. And the chances that it will actually protect you are so small that there are no recorded incidences of it. Add to that the likelihood that it will prevent you from entering certain harbors, and make entry complicated in many more ... well, it just doesn't seem practical.

An experienced captain explained his theory on why this is the case: Cruisers bring money to the local economy, so those economies have a vested interest in keeping cruisers coming in; and cruisers talk, so incidents of theft and violence spread and reduce money coming in to the local economy. This alone isn't enough to completely _stop_ crime in these areas, but criminals have learned that there are LOTS of boats to steal from. They want the easy, low-risk take. So any indication that the boat is keeping a watch, or that there will be any resistance and they just move on ... eventually they'll find a careless boater to steal from with no worries. They know that there's lots on deck they can steal without making enough noise to wake anyone, so they almost never go below decks. They know that cruisers have insurance, so a stolen MFD is likely to create a police report that the police don't have time to follow up on, and an insurance claim. But they know that if they go below decks, and if someone gets hurt, then the local police will have the motivation to track them down, as a story spreading about an assault will cause cruisers to stop spending money at their anchorage. Just a few stolen MFDs a week makes pretty good money on the black market, so they aren't terribly desperate to take any risks.

It _is_ unintuitive. At least it was to me. But the facts support the conclusion that carrying a guy while cruising just isn't worth it.

But, of course, you've brought one of the more controversial topics to this forum, so you're going to get heated answers. The fact that you're surprised by that is somewhat funny to me. You might as well start a pro-life vs. pro-choice debate -- it would be equally ponderous to me if you were surprised by the heated responses you got.
post #17 of 54 Old 07-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMoran View Post
Man ... a lot of people getting snippy about the question.

But, of course, you've brought one of the more controversial topics to this forum, so you're going to get heated answers. The fact that you're surprised by that is somewhat funny to me. You might as well start a pro-life vs. pro-choice debate -- it would be equally ponderous to me if you were surprised by the heated responses you got.
That's true, much of the rest of the world does not share our American frontier penchant for everybody being able to carry a loaded firearm around in our glove compartment or into Starbucks.
post #18 of 54 Old 07-07-2017
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

i believe you will find travelling with weaponry a hassle--even worse than the dog.
i travel mexico sola with only a cat for protection--hahahahaha donot need to lock doors and donot need to worry about my personal safety.
caribbean was same.
if you are not comfortable in your own skin, stay home until you are so., is important.
if you cannot trust folks enough to mix with em, stay home.
if you feel the |NEED to carry a weapon, stay home.
once you get out into the cruising lifstyle, if that is actually what you willbe doing, you will learn much much more than you could imagine.
if you donot make it out here, it will not matter. there is much to learn that is not learnable without wandering out into reality.
MarkofSeaLife and Deina like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #19 of 54 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
Novice but Stubborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Traveling with a dog, outside of the US can be a hassle. The Bahamas and British Virgin Islands, and other countries, require a pet import permit which includes an APHIS health certificate and a rabies titer blood test (It requires blood to be drawn and sent to one of the certified testing centers). Even the US Virgin Islands requires a certified health certificate and a 6 month current rabies vaccination. My state only requires a rabies vaccination every two years, so the USVI has more restrictive requirements.

So, if you want to travel with a gun or a dog, it is easier to confine your cruising to the continental United States.
I will be sailing with at least one dog. Can't imagine my life without one. But I can meet the requirements. My dogs are always up to date on shots and living in the south we do heartworm prevention year round already anyway.

Its funny what to some may seem a hassle but to others is no big deal. But thanks for the heads up. It is something I will be researching.
post #20 of 54 Old 07-07-2017 Thread Starter
Novice but Stubborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Just go cruising in the Caribbean like everyone else.

What makes you need to look like Rambo when no one else does or needs to?

Reality is the price of rum, not anything else.

Mark
Ha. Its not like I am going to be sitting in the cockpit with a machine gun. If it is a big deal and a huge hassle or just downright illegal I won't have a gun. If I am allowed most likely it would be kept in a drawer or box somewhere below deck.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in