Safety on board when sailing alone - SailNet Community
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 07-05-2017 Thread Starter
Novice but Stubborn

Safety on board when sailing alone

I am a complete novice. I've never sailed but my brother is going to teach me all he knows which is quite a bit. He has been racing boats for umpteen years. My plan is when I retire to buy a sailboat and live aboard in the Caribbean. I'm doing all my research now as it is a good 12 years until I can retire unless I win the lottery or find some long lost relative who just left me their fortune, lol.

I will most likely be doing all this alone and I am good with that. I am very self-efficient and am not afraid to do all this on my own. My one concern is safety. I plan on having my pistol with me and really more than one. I am not sure what the laws are about guns but am looking at that.

My question is though is there any kind of security system for sailboats to let you know if someone came onboard while you were asleep. I got to thinking if nothing else I could rig up a motion detector in the companionway which would be pretty simple.

Anyone heard of this kind of thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 07-05-2017

Dock
Re: Safety on board when sailing alone

Motion detectors at every hardware store about $20.

Just because many local people in the Caribbean are black it doesn't mean you need a gun.

You need a gun more in your own country than the Caribbean.

Yes, you can sail by yourself unless you are a compete idiot.

12 years is self imposed. Get off your fat bum and save more money now and retire in 5 years. I retired at 48 and it was the best decision I ever made.

bigdogandy, jwing, Arcb and 2 others like this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go

And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #3 of 54 Old 07-05-2017

Many Caribbean countries don't allow guns and you could be charged with smuggling an illegal weapon into the country. I would think that a motion sensing system will be set off often by movement of the boat. You could use a trip wire to trigger an alarm if someone tries to climb your swim ladder or come over your life lines.

Lots of people travel there with little incident. Some travel in travel groups for safety.

There is Caribbean sailor's group that shares info on safe places and problem places. They communicate with one another to plan trips together or anchoring together for safety.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/341518759227037/

There is also a website where sailors share incidents of theft, vandalism and piracy to alert other sailors to problem areas.

http://www.noonsite.com/General/Piracy
jwing and scubadoo like this.
post #4 of 54 Old 07-05-2017
Master Mariner

There are literally hundreds of threads on the sailing sites on security aboard and I doubt there is one definitive answer, other than having any sort of firearm aboard a cruising boat is a very, very bad idea.
They sort of frown on visitors using firearms on their citizens, even if you think it was self defense, and you most certainly will go to prison.
jwing likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #5 of 54 Old 07-05-2017

Alert dog and sharp end of a lion fish spear...
Motion detectors do lights and also audio alarms.
I suggest not making this an over-riding concern.
If you aren't comfortable, just go somewhere else.
Would you leave your dinghy outboard out by the curb where you live now?
jwing likes this.
post #6 of 54 Old 07-05-2017

Joshua Slocum used tacks. Kids' jacks would be the equivalent.

Wondering where you'd staying the Caribbean, and if you'd sail north for the summer. I'd thought to sail north next summer then winter down south somewhere. Now I'm rethinking it--getting tired of the humidity in the southeast.
elliowb likes this.
post #7 of 54 Old 07-07-2017

Of all the safety-related considerations that are related to sailboat cruising, those that are resolved with having multiple firearms aboard are the least likely to occur.

If you like to have guns nearby, be thankful that you live in the USA, and stay there.
elliowb likes this.
post #8 of 54 Old 07-07-2017
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjarman123 View Post
... I plan on having my pistol with me and really more than one. I am not sure what the laws are about guns but am looking at that....
"Novice but Stubborn" under your user name. Please don't let stubbornness about firearms in foreign countries land you in jail. Chances are it will and all your research will be for nothing. Our over-excitement to be able to carry a firearm (let alone a small arsenal), does not extend outside our borders.
Deina likes this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #9 of 54 Old 07-07-2017
HANUMAN

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you haven't traveled much. Just the notion of being permitted to take a handgun through customs is a dead giveaway. If you feel you need a gun to protect yourself when traveling it's probably best you stay at home. You will likely end up in foreign jail.

There will always be someone stronger or more heavily armed, if one can't use one's brain to keep oneself out of trouble....

This is not a flame.

HANUMAN
'88 C&C 30 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #10 of 54 Old 07-07-2017
al brazzi

Don't rush it, use the 12 years to gain water experience any way you can, whether its the boat you cruise on or not sometimes just getting what you think you want helps develop the one you want for later. Im not sure my current is my last. If you know what I mean.

Get creative with self defense follow the advice given.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in