Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 Old 06-13-2018

Re: Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat

Sailing to the Caribbean from the keys is a beat to windward. I would strongly advise not to do this. There is a book about it:

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu.../dp/1470146967

You might want to read before taking this route.

You might consider sailing up the Gulf stream... ducking in to port on the East coast of interest and get to a high enough lattitude to sail South East.

The Carribean 1500 ( or whatever it's called) leaves from Virginia:

https://www.worldcruising.com/carib1500/event.aspx

If timing is good you good sail with the...or before or after.

You can fetch Antigua or St Martin or where ever in the Caribbean as you will be sailing south with the trade winds on one tack even as cool as a beam reach.

Don't beat for 1000 or more miles with small children... a very very very bad idea

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 Old 06-13-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
Sailing to the Caribbean from the keys is a beat to windward. I would strongly advise not to do this. There is a book about it:

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu.../dp/1470146967

You might want to read before taking this route.

You might consider sailing up the Gulf stream... ducking in to port on the East coast of interest and get to a high enough lattitude to sail South East.

The Carribean 1500 ( or whatever it's called) leaves from Virginia:

https://www.worldcruising.com/carib1500/event.aspx

If timing is good you good sail with the...or before or after.

You can fetch Antigua or St Martin or where ever in the Caribbean as you will be sailing south with the trade winds on one tack even as cool as a beam reach.

Don't beat for 1000 or more miles with small children... a very very very bad idea
Our first destination after Florida will be the Bahamas. That's about as far as we have planned at this point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: From Landlubbers to Liveaboards, follow our journey to the Sea.
post #13 of 24 Old 06-13-2018

That's not very far and a tough Gulf Stream passage... actually either way.

Much better to sail out east and visit the Bahamas sailing down wind and west... a very easy sail and you can even use a spinnaker.

When you read more about getting to the Eastern Caribbean... you'll find out.

post #14 of 24 Old 06-13-2018
Freedom Chip Counter

The Gulf Stream demands a bit of respect, do not try to cross it when the winds are anywhere North of East. The opposing winds with unlimited fetch turn up 14ft, short period seas quickly. No fun. Miami to Bimini is a popular route (with the Gulf Stream). Ironically, calm seas and predictable trades from the East make summer sailing to and from the Bahamas popular for the locals. Just have a hurricane plan in place prior to needing one. It gets hot! Be sure to have plenty of small, efficient fans, fresh water and shade available. Good luck, most of us would love to be in your shoes (or sandals).

P.S. Liza Copeland has written a few great books on sailing with family. She also speaks at many of the sailboat shows….very nice person with lots of great info and ideas on basic comforts and home-schooling.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestaralaskan View Post
I know, I know, usually its the other way around. But in our family, I'm the one with the sailing itch. I'm the one pushing the plan to sell everything and buy a sailboat in 3 years. I think he's on board (no pun intended), but he doesn't say much about it yet. I guess it won't be "real" for him until its time to actually buy a boat. Meanwhile, I'm the one doing all the research.

Are there any other females out there in a similar situation??
YES - I'm in the same boat (hahaha). I've been pushing it for years, but there's always been an excuse one way or the other. First it was his job (while I hated mine), and now it's my job (which I love, but could potentially give up for a sailboat dream if he wanted it). We recently just bought a house, which is great, but the opposite direction of my dream. But we still talk about it. He wants us to be in a good financial position, where we can retire early and get the boat then. He also wants me to be able to finish my 3 year project at work first, which is good career advice. But at least we're moving forward. We just bought our first 30 foot sailboat, and we're learning to efficiently sail it, maintenance, cruising. We're gaining skills that could help us for the dream!

Why do you want to sail around the world, if you don't mind me asking?
Jeff_H likes this.

Last edited by kusuri; 06-14-2018 at 06:31 PM.
post #16 of 24 Old 06-14-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusuri View Post

Why do you want to sail around the world, if you don't mind me asking?
Hey Kusuri, thanks for the reply! Reasons to sail - there are so many. Here are the main ones:

1) I have adventure in my blood. My parents moved from TX to AK before I was born, in the winter, driving the Al-Can on street tires in a little Mazda. I guess I get the itch from my Dad who was always looking for new adventures, and took me on a few as a kid to ski resorts, Hawaii, the Florida coast, and allowed me to travel to Space Camp when I was 12 and to Paris when I was 18.

2) Love the ocean. Always have. Its too expensive to buy oceanfront property, and even if we did, we'd be stuck there. Which brings me to #3...

3) Love to travel. Both my husband and I share this love. I grew up in Alaska, but haven't been back for 15 years. My extended family lives in Texas, we live in AZ, and don't have any real roots anywhere. My mother currently lives with us, but has advancing dementia. My Dad passed away several years ago. My husband's family is scattered from one coast to the other. We have no ties to any place, except here where I have a job.

4) I will soon have two little ones that I have to say goodbye to every morning when I head to work, and it breaks my heart to leave them. I need a break from corporate life to spend important time with my kids, where I can be with them all day long, every day for an extended period of time.

We want to show them a different way of life BEFORE they are old enough to be addicted to cellphones, video games, and other cultural influences. Get them outside, interacting with nature, seeing things with their own two eyes instead of just reading about things in books like places, history, wildlife, different cultures & languages, etc.

5) And finally - so many challenges. Saving the money, figuring out which boat to buy, where to launch, how to live on a boat, and then the real challenge of boat handling, traveling to new places, how to catch our dinner, there's so much to learn. I'm sure it will not be all fun and easy - I know that. But that is also part of the appeal.

Maybe we'll hate it. Maybe we'll quit after a month, or maybe we'll never even be able to save enough to go. But none of those possible outcomes is going to keep me for aiming for the big dream, and working towards the goal every day. Its what keeps me getting up and going to work right now.

I hope that answers your question.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-15-2018

Quote:
Hey Kusuri, thanks for the reply! Reasons to sail - there are so many. Here are the main ones:

This is a great response. I completely support your vision and I trust that you wll be prudent and carefully roll out an action plan including getting and equiping the boat and learning to sail and take care of the boat.

I have found that "sailing" and my boat has been the great "teacher" in my life... most lessons learned, most new horizons, greatest sense of independence and competence and self reliance. You're off the grid for the most part and get through life on your own... no nanny state... You travel far and wide and there are no roads to follow... Sure you need provisions of course... but no can live without food or water. And you can make your own water if need be! It's clean and you are within nature 24/7 and get to be very close and intimate with your changing environment. You survive by your own intelligence.

Great to keep the kids away from screens... given then crayons and colored pencils... You don't have to do this "forever".... see the entire world... You can do it for as long as it works for you.

Go for it!

post #18 of 24 Old 06-15-2018

Quote:
I love your response, and I feel like you and I are very alike. I also grew up in Texas, I need adventure in my life, I strangely love the ocean (without ever growing up near it), and when I have children I want to be able to devote my time to them instead of my career. I support your vision very much!

Your comment about steering your children away from screens and video games has stuck with me. Many people make similar comments, and I'm always left wondering why they think this way. I'd like to share a bit about myself in hopes of discussing this. I'm in my 30s now, but when I was a kid I grew up in a poor family. We lived in a small town in Texas, and it was too hot to go outside for long periods of time. I spent a lot of my time at the local library or playing video games at home. My parents were too busy with work and supporting us to even worry about this. But! This didn't affect the course of my life in any noticeable way. The video games I played taught me how to solve puzzles and inspired me to love exploration. The books I read allowed me to dream about where I could go when I was older.

As soon as I turned 18, I left Texas and moved to New England. The heat was gone, and I started hiking and exploring the outdoors. I now travel all the time, I can fish and catch my own dinner, I'm planning to sail around the world, just like you. I didn't see the ocean until I was 18 years old, and now I can't go a day without seeing it. I also share the same desire to be present with my children and teach them to love adventure, too. None of this was hindered by the hours I spent on a game system or in a book, and it's possible they helped! All in all, though, I think a lot of what makes us who we grow up to be comes from within ourselves. Otherwise I can't explain why I've become someone very different from my origins.

I'd love your thoughts in response to this, I'm very open to your opinion! I don't want to go sideways from your thread, so you're welcome to privately message me if you'd prefer that instead.
post #19 of 24 Old 06-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusuri View Post

Your comment about steering your children away from screens and video games has stuck with me. Many people make similar comments, and I'm always left wondering why they think this way. I'd like to share a bit about myself in hopes of discussing this. I'm in my 30s now, but when I was a kid I grew up in a poor family. We lived in a small town in Texas, and it was too hot to go outside for long periods of time. I spent a lot of my time at the local library or playing video games at home. My parents were too busy with work and supporting us to even worry about this. But! This didn't affect the course of my life in any noticeable way. The video games I played taught me how to solve puzzles and inspired me to love exploration. The books I read allowed me to dream about where I could go when I was older.
I was a big reader too, and video game player! Its not the video games, or even the television that bothers me.

My 15 year old niece is living with me and she talks to friends almost 100% online. She doesn't socialize like a normal person. She doesn't even feel comfortable ordering her own food in a restaurant. She's insecure, but online with her "internet friends", she is completely different.

She's told me about various people she's met online, and I'm sure at least some of them were 50 year old dudes with nothing better to do than socialize with teenage girls. This culture of online socializing is not good for kids when they don't know how to sit and have a normal conversation with adults. They talk constantly in chat rooms, on snap chat & skype, and basically live on computers and phones.

She's had "friends" sending her videos of real life honor killings, decapitations, and all kinds of sick stuff. Probably other stuff she hasn't told me. Think about a young kid at school with other children who have cellphones that aren't filtered - they can be exposed to who knows what at way too young of an age, and there's nothing you can do about it.

That's not what I want for my young kiddos. I want them to enjoy being kids, learning about real life (not online life), learning how to be social and how to be creative without all of the distractions that invade daily life in our current culture.
post #20 of 24 Old 06-15-2018
al brazzi

Just reading your story and dreams. You are young (I assume) and have lots of time to learn and decide where you go with it all. My advice would be to not try and make all the plans so quickly, having a goal and doing as much as you can in the mean time is more important than just looking to the end result. I know people who have raised kids on a Boat, and it worked out fine, but I would not do it, just me. Not small ones anyway 8-10-12 maybe but not infants, again just me. Maybe your husband is thinking something like that and its not coming through. Make all your plans and then just muddle through, life's best advice so far.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in