Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 06-15-2018

Re: Talking Husband into Living on a Sailboat

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I hope your niece can learn from you and feel more confident out there in the world. Talking to you gives me hope for the next generation.
Lonestaralaskan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 06-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrazzi View Post
Just reading your story and dreams. You are young (I assume) and have lots of time to learn and decide where you go with it all. My advice would be to not try and make all the plans so quickly, having a goal and doing as much as you can in the mean time is more important than just looking to the end result. I know people who have raised kids on a Boat, and it worked out fine, but I would not do it, just me. Not small ones anyway 8-10-12 maybe but not infants, again just me. Maybe your husband is thinking something like that and its not coming through. Make all your plans and then just muddle through, life's best advice so far.
Actually I'm 43. This will be baby #2 post-40.
We aren't taking infants to live on a sailboat. They'll both be at least potty-trained. I'm aiming for 3 & 4, but might not make it out til they are 4 & 5. We'll make that decision in a few years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: From Landlubbers to Liveaboards, follow our journey to the Sea.
post #23 of 24 Old 06-15-2018

While I totally relate to our generations disdain for the younger gens electronic socializing, we should be careful not to fully discount it. My kids have far greater networks than I ever had at their age. They reach out for information, expertise and connections, far better than our generation did. I may be good working a room, face to face, palm to palm, they're better working the planet.

Be sure your kids don't miss out on the power of it all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #24 of 24 Old 06-16-2018

This is a great thread!

A year ago my family of four, kids then 11 and 15, and two dogs returned from a year in the Pacific Northwest followed by six months in Mexico. The boat is for sale in San Diego. That wasn’t the specific plan, but our family always knew that was a possibility, and that is OK. Meanwhile we took a risk, kicked some small amount of ass, and now we are doing something else, and thinking about what the future holds. We know we can do anything. Being really open ended worked well for all of us, even as we sailed from beach to beach.

My wife was the reluctant one, but after she realized it was all about education and experience, and not some magical, Herculean skills and abilities, she was in. She took classes, we sailed a bunch, and through it all involved the kids and laughed a lot. The class my wife took was key. It was a week long sailing class, and the first night out I got a picture of her in a hammock drinking a glass of wine as the sun went down. Nice! Would you husband like to do something like that? Every day checking the engine, belts, sailing hard, running through crew overboard drills, then kicking back and relaxing in the evenings swinging at anchor?

I like that your plans are not set in stone, that you seem flexible. And the kid advice has been good. My kids are deep and rich for their online friends and resources, but I still worry about it sometimes regardless. They also had plenty of very sweaty days, running around playing games with other kids, paddling from boat to boat to visit in the anchorage. Everyone took care of the kids, like a neighborhood in the fifties. And they spent time on the screen after spending time in the water. It was really good for them.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in