Single hand a 40 foot boat? - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 28 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Single hand a 40 foot boat?

Interesting points all around. I was thinking Krabbi since I have watch a lot of videos about SV Esper on YouTube and IIRC, her refit was done in Krabbi and I think that boat looks very nice... A bit too much white inside for my liking (I tend to like modern but still looking like some Gothic dungeon) but the interior seems very nice and spacious. Esper is a ketch too.

Since we're talking about sails- what about Junk rigged boats or even junks? Are junks even able to do blue water?

Also, someone like me would want to steer way clear of South Africa. I've had great experiences in SE Asia... they seem to like me there and are fair with me, at least. But that's just diving and training in Muay Thai... bringing my own home across this time is definitely a different kettle of fish!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 28 Old 08-23-2018 Thread Starter

Test
post #13 of 28 Old 08-23-2018

TQA, Jeff_H makes some interesting points but I still have to side with your choice for a world cruiser and one to single hand. Jeff's might be okay for around the bay or coastal hops. I have sailed for many, many, days at a time with the main stowed under the sail cover. In the trade winds, as Bill Seifert says, "It is easier to pull a boat than to push it." A main sail has little use to me when off the wind. A big jib is what is needed the most and a stay sail is at the ready, on roller furling, when the wind really pipes up. They can't make one boat and one rig to suite all situations.
post #14 of 28 Old 08-23-2018
One of None

Single-handing a larger sailboat should not be impossible it's more about knowing how to setup various lines and sheets and halyards for mechanical advantage and cockpit location once a good understanding of that is in one's mind it's not too difficult to sail any boat.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!
post #15 of 28 Old 08-23-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedusaoftheSea View Post
Interesting points all around. I was thinking Krabbi since I have watch a lot of videos about SV Esper on YouTube and IIRC, her refit was done in Krabbi and I think that boat looks very nice... A bit too much white inside for my liking (I tend to like modern but still looking like some Gothic dungeon) but the interior seems very nice and spacious. Esper is a ketch too.

Since we're talking about sails- what about Junk rigged boats or even junks? Are junks even able to do blue water?

Also, someone like me would want to steer way clear of South Africa. I've had great experiences in SE Asia... they seem to like me there and are fair with me, at least. But that's just diving and training in Muay Thai... bringing my own home across this time is definitely a different kettle of fish!
An Oyster 435 would be quite low on my list of boats to single-hand offshore. While I am a big fan of Kim Holman's design work, these are really big 43 footers to push around single-handed. The control line loads would be beyond what I would want to handle short-handed. These are also comparatively high drag designs relative to their stability which means more frequent sail changes which on a boat this big would grind a physically fit single-hander down. I suggest that you look for boats that have displacements below 20,000 lbs and more ideally down around 15,000 lbs.

Jeff
MedusaoftheSea likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #16 of 28 Old 08-23-2018
One of None

Med... Do you actually have sailing experience?
aeventyr60 and travlin-easy like this.

"Next best thing to not having a boat? The knowledge from having one!" Denise, Bristol PA, On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.

My last project!
post #17 of 28 Old 08-23-2018

Going with Jeff on this one . . .
post #18 of 28 Old 08-24-2018

Depends on how it is "set up". Lots of tasks on a sailboat... some can easily be done by one person... sequences may be more challenging... Forces increase rapidly as size increases. You need to ask why you need a particular length boat and how to set up for short and single handed sailing. Example... anchoring.... chain trumps nylon rode... manual windlass trumps hand over hand tackle handling.... electrical windlass trumps manual windlass... 2 way electric trumps UP only...Remote control electric trumps bow only controls. Each step up makes it easier to single hand ANY size boat. Bigger boats will need the anchoring upgrades for single handing.

You decide.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #19 of 28 Old 08-24-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehorizon View Post
People single hand much larger boats, racing around the world, through the worst weather and latitudes, imaginable. Even couples out cruising together, in reality, one of them is a singlehander, as the partner is seasick in the bunk for days at at time, lacks interest in learning or for a number of reasons, not much help. It isn't hard to single hand a boat. Just takes practice like anything else in life.
Not ALL partners are as you generalize. Wow.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #20 of 28 Old 08-29-2018
One of None

Lol Donna, no, not all, but it is very common. And I'm one of the first to argue for equality in sailing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna_F View Post
Not ALL partners are as you generalize. Wow.

My last project!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in