Saying hello - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 04-15-2019 Thread Starter

Saying hello

After a month or so on Sailnet, I just noticed the herSailnet forum. I am 52, a small lake sailor from Minnesota. I sail for recreative purposes, and enjoy sailing with friends and solo in equal measure. I also enjoy paddle boarding, music, sketching and astrophotography. I seek to be competent in all that I do, but I have nothing to prove to anyone else. I'm a bit frustrated with the misogynistic tone I read in many of the Sailnet fora. I look forward to getting to know you and learn from you.
Rezz likes this.

Renae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-15-2019

You have made some good and interesting posts.
Continue please.
My fave color is a bright red...think coke red.
Ive never robbed a liquor store but think i could do so without being identified on youtube.
How to rid males of testosterone and stupidity....well thats for a medical forum
post #3 of 14 Old 04-16-2019 Thread Starter

Re: Saying hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
You have made some good and interesting posts.
Continue please.
My fave color is a bright red...think coke red.
Ive never robbed a liquor store but think i could do so without being identified on youtube.
How to rid males of testosterone and stupidity....well thats for a medical forum
Testosterone goes away with time, but stupidity lingers.

boatpoker likes this.

Renae
post #4 of 14 Old 04-16-2019

Dock

If you have any problem with any post please hit the little red triangle at the bottom of each post and report it to the moderators.

It's important for us to know people's feelings.

Also, FYI, one of our Mods @Donna_F is definitely a female and she, and her Dragon, patrol the board carefully. Any problems you may have that you wish to discuss privately with her please PM her. (You're welcome, Donna )

Finally, it takes many new members a while to get the relaxed feeling in this forum. Welcome, and give it a bit of time

Mark

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #5 of 14 Old 04-16-2019

Glad you're here rm...... Hope it settles for you. Social media forums can be rough, as people type things they would never say, face to face, in public. I really don't think it's a gender issue, as much as a social one. Everyone is amateur at this and, unlike table manners, we haven't been at it long enough for etiquette to form.

I still don't understand how the proper response to misogyny, is a sub-forum that attracts misandry.

There is no his-sailnet sub-forum that allows guys to blow off gender steam and I don't think this one was designed to do the opposite.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-16-2019

Of course there is a hisSailNet, it’s called THE REST OF SAILNET!

It’s a shame this sub-forum can’t be limited, but I don’t recall whether or not you specify a gender when you sign up.

The world has come a long way towards gender equity, but there are still substantial issues. In conversations men and women interact differently, often to the detriment of women.

For instance it is generally thought that women talk more than men. Way back in the 70s during Roe v Wade one of the attorneys said *to the supreme court* that since he was arguing against a woman she was sure to get the last word. More recently an Uber board member complained about all the women on the board, saying it led to too much talking.

But in fact, in formal settings, women talk less than men. Even though they talk less, they are perceived to be talking more. Men dominate conversations, even while they think women are doing all the talking.

TIME: The Truth About How Much Women Talk — and Whether Men Listen
Quote:
In a now-classic study, Barbara and Gene Eakins recorded seven university faculty meetings. They found that, with one exception, the men at the meeting spoke more often and, without exception, spoke longer. The longest comment by a woman at all seven gatherings was shorter than the shortest comment by a man. Susan Herring found a similar pattern in online discussions among linguists on professional topics: Messages written by men were, on average, twice as long as those written by women.
My wife is scarcely a shrinking violet, but she went to Smith, a women's college, and she feels she got a better educational experience because of it.

And as if to prove the point, I just rambled on far longer than the original post...
MarkofSeaLife and Rmaddy like this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 14 Old 04-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Of course there is a hisSailNet, it’s called THE REST OF SAILNET!...
Obviously, I struggle with that point. The other sub forums may be predominantly populated with men, but they aren’t designed and published for men. People with different personalities and opinions get in conflict, it’s men to men and woman to woman. Not just men and women.

I know this is a sensitivity point. I think there will never be full inclusion and equality, if it’s remains okay to camp up in segregation. Men’s only clubs are now banned. For good reason.

The students at my kids college were pretty vocal about inclusion and equality. Then you look at the franternities and sororities and they’re all sorts of voluntarily segregated houses. Black, Native Indian, Asian. Then the Koreans and Chinese segregate. It’s bad in all forms.
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #8 of 14 Old 04-16-2019

Years ago i looked for a safe sailing forum that catered to aboriginal jewish men transitioning lez...and came up empty
post #9 of 14 Old 04-16-2019
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaddy View Post
I'm a bit frustrated with the misogynistic tone I read in many of the Sailnet fora. I look forward to getting to know you and learn from you.
There are a few juvenilles and I suggest you just ignore them as it's too late for them to change. Most of the guys here are decent people.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-17-2019 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
If you have any problem with any post please hit the little red triangle at the bottom of each post and report it to the moderators.

It's important for us to know people's feelings.

Also, FYI, one of our Mods @Donna_F is definitely a female and she, and her Dragon, patrol the board carefully. Any problems you may have that you wish to discuss privately with her please PM her. (You're welcome, Donna )

Finally, it takes many new members a while to get the relaxed feeling in this forum. Welcome, and give it a bit of time

Mark
Thank you for the welcome and for the tip on using moderator notification. That sort of thing helps, but you probably understand that it is rather easy for someone to be a buzzkill without technically violating the TOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
There are a few juvenilles and I suggest you just ignore them as it's too late for them to change. Most of the guys here are decent people.
It’s not the juveniles so much as the peacocks—those who use every discussion to show how special they are. I am no stranger to internet forums, but there does seem to be quite a bit more of it here.

Renae

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in