Is Sailing Sexist? - Page 30 - SailNet Community
 234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #291 of 359 Old 07-30-2014

Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

OK, the usual argument for racism and sexism appears, "They say it, so it's not racist/sexist." Please. And if I had a dime for every strawman that shows up on controversial threads, I would be a gazillionaire!! And would be able to buy my own boat!
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #292 of 359 Old 07-30-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
We are really getting far from the original intent of this thread.
i agree. however, it seems to be inevitable that a discussion of whether something is sexist or not...in other words, whether it is exclusionary or derrogotorry to women...ends up with someone saying something to the effect that gender considerations/differences are man made and sexist and could/should somehow dissappear as if gender doesn't exist. it's a valid point when considering race but not gender. as in most things in life, humans exist in a dichotomy. yin and yang. day and night, life and death, light and dark, summer and winter...man and woman. two distinct halves that make up the whole.

i just wanted to address the implication because i do think that, not only is it unrealistic but, it obscures the actual issue; that being whether sailing is exclusionary or belittling towards women.
WGEwald likes this.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #293 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

Regardless of sexual dimorphism we all have a brain and that is where sexism originates. It is difficult to control our thoughts but we should be able to control our actions.
post #294 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

After reading this thread, I understand just how she feels:

Voodoo Mama Hot Sauce - YouTube
post #295 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
We are really getting far from the original intent of this thread.
Yeah, but just to add this: It's a shame that the word gender became interchangeable with the word sex.

And this: couldn't we tell nothing good was going to come from the subforum when it started with such tedious finger-wagging?

https://www.sailnet.com/forums/hersai...und-rules.html
captain jack likes this.
post #296 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Regardless of sexual dimorphism we all have a brain and that is where sexism originates. It is difficult to control our thoughts but we should be able to control our actions.
yeah. but what does that actualy mean in this discussion?

i almost think the word sexism needs to be defined for the purpose of the discussion. to my mind, sexism is descrimination, exclusion, and negative treatment based on gender. it can happen to either gender. for instance, all male events or organizations are considered sexist yet all female events or organizations are not...yet, they most certainly are sexist in that they are exclusionary to people of another gender.

however, some people seem to think that because people of one gender or the other are naturally drawn to a certain activity more than another gender that it means that activity is sexist. or that people tend to adopt chores or tasks, naturally, in a pattern that seems to reflect a gender preference for certain tasks over others that those people are sexist. yet, if people naturally choose certain things over others, not being forced to it, how can it be sexist?

if you look back through the thread, you will see what i mean in the above examples.

so, i really think a solid accepted definition is necessary before it can be determined if a things is sexist. otherwise, you get people comparing apples to oranges. i think the discussion to determine said definition will be just as heated and controvercial as this one; maybe moreso.
WGEwald likes this.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 07-31-2014 at 06:46 PM.
post #297 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Well I am disappointed on my phone I thought this was "is sailing sexy."

I will say if this forum's conservative bend is any indication it might be. There is also the fact that there cannot be true equality in real offshore sailing. Some one has to be in charge, in emergency situations decisions are made and followed. This is important to safety of all involved. To me it would not matter who is making the decisions man or woman. For me I would not have issues with taking orders from a female captain. But I know for some it would be an issue. I would love to find a woman to sail with.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Your post reminds me of The Perfect Storm (the book) where the male skipper of the yacht caught in the storm kept to his bunk and his female crew had to make the decisions about getting rescued. I believe my memory is mostly correct.

Ecclesiastes 1:2
post #298 of 359 Old 07-31-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGEwald View Post
Your post reminds me of The Perfect Storm (the book) where the male skipper of the yacht caught in the storm kept to his bunk and his female crew had to make the decisions about getting rescued. I believe my memory is mostly correct.
It has been a while since I read the book, but it was my understanding that the male skipper/owner of the Westsail had been through several hurricanes already on that boat and knew what the boat was capable of handling and that was why he didn't want to call the Coast Guard. One of the women called and once the call was made, there was no reversing it.

The boat survived.
WGEwald and Westsailforever like this.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
The Following User Says Thank You to Donna_F For This Useful Post:
WGEwald (07-31-2014)
post #299 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

The reason the owner didn't want to call the CG is that the boat was all he had, and he knew the CG would make him abandon the boat.
WGEwald likes this.
post #300 of 359 Old 07-31-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post

Who won the last America's cup?

Larry Ellison, Russell Couts, James Spithill.

Has a woman ever won?
Ellison has a history of excluding women, I believe. Also, see my post on the ADM vs. GGYC settlement.

Ecclesiastes 1:2

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in