Is Sailing Sexist? - Page 34 - SailNet Community
 234Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #331 of 359 Old 08-04-2014

Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Jack, my man, where do you find the time to type? For one, I just can't read posts that long to the end. Especially, when pushing the OT boundaries.

If this thread weren't started with a high interest sailing related issue, it would have been banned to OT a long time ago.
that was written around 4:00 am this morning. i don't tend to sleep a lot.

i suppose that post might have been on the edge of being off topic. however, male/female roles has come up a good deal during the course of this thread so i think it's safely within the limits.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by captain jack; 08-04-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 359 Old 08-04-2014
The most female moderator

Dock

WGEwald,

You've told one moderator she's snippy and another moderator to kiss your ass. You aren't playing by the rules.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #333 of 359 Old 08-04-2014
S/V DreamWeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Sailing isn't sexist, but don't pretend that the sexes aren't different.

The great majority of sailboats in a given marina are owned by men, or if they're owned by a couple (hetero), then the man is the one who decided to get the boat.

If the man gets hit by a bus, the boat will be sold. Most likely to another man.

Women aren't excluded from sailing, but the female sailboat owner is still a rarity.
My husband and I have very different sailing histories. I was the SORC racer, he was the local small boat putterer. We both vetted our boat and it was a joint decision to own her.

Sailing doesn't HAVE to be sexist, it's just that men tend to have more time for hobbies in general. For instance, most working women I know who have a day off spend it doing laundry, cleaning house, etc. Men are more likely to be out playing golf, etc. Having said that, my own husband is very good at dealing with house stuff and having a hobby too. Our house has been something of a disaster since we bought our boat, but having cushions, sails, batteries, etc, is just part of the package, and I love sailing enough to deal with it.

Every person makes his/her own choice. If a woman wants to be a sailor/boat owner, there's really nothing to stop her. I know, I was lucky to have male mentors who respected my skills and didn't look at me as 'just another girl' but you make it what you want it to be.
captain jack and Cap'n Russ like this.
post #334 of 359 Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynnCP View Post
....Sailing doesn't HAVE to be sexist, it's just that men tend to have more time for hobbies in general. For instance, most working women I know who have a day off spend it doing laundry, cleaning house, etc. Men are more likely to be out playing golf, etc. .......
As they say in politics, this is just rallying your base, not mainstream anymore. I can't think of too many examples of this for those under 70.

Sailing is a hobby that both my wife and I have chosen to do together. When we arrived for our cruise on Sat, I had to change the oil, replace a plumbing fitting on the washdown pump buried in the v-berth and install a new 12v TV. In the middle of it all, the bilge pump starts running continuously and I have to replace the float switch.

All the while, my wife is reading her kindle in the cockpit. Maybe sailing is sexist?

She has zero interest in learning how to do these things. I, on the other hand, know how to do laundry and clean, to use your examples. In fact, we each do our own laundry separately at home. I made dinner aboard last night too. A paella with scrod, clams, chorizo, artichokes, red pepper, string beans and tomatoes.
captain jack and Cap'n Russ like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:
captain jack (08-05-2014)
post #335 of 359 Old 08-05-2014
Captain Obvious

I find that women who do most of the housework in their marriage then tend to generalize about the rest of us.

I do as much , or more housework and domestic duty than my wife does. My wife has never done my laundry. I'm also the primary household money earner, mechanic and builder and sailboat captain. By captain I mean slave of course. I am sure a lot of guys are like me and some are different. But I don't doubt that there are marriages where the wife does all the menial work and the husband is lazy. I'm just not in one and I tend to resent the generalization that women are doing the work because I haven't seen it.
captain jack likes this.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger
post #336 of 359 Old 08-05-2014

This interesting thread answered the original posters question on the first page, and continues to supply the same answer;

The question was not; "Are you sexist?"

The question was; "Is sailing sexist?"

Answer, "Affirmative" At least if you use the current definition of the word.

Definition of Sexism;

sex·ism
ˈsekˌsizəm/
noun
noun: sexism

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

synonyms: sexual discrimination, chauvinism, gender prejudice, gender bias

Tom Young sailing a 1961 38' Alden Challenger, CHRISTMAS out of
Rockport, Maine.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
post #337 of 359 Old 08-05-2014
S/V DreamWeaver

I should point out that I was speaking from anecdotal experience. In my marriage, it's just as likely clip is doing the laundry or vacuuming or cooking (the paella sounded fabulous, btw). As far as fixing things, I'm every bit as handy as he is though we each have our own strengths. So far we have both worked on refinishing brightwork, pulling up carpet, replacing weatherstripping, cleaning and waxing the hull, replacing the striping and putting on her name, and recovering the cabin cushions.

I stand by my statement -- it doesn't have to be sexist, it is what you make it. I want to be very involved. Your mileage may vary.
post #338 of 359 Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by RynnCP View Post
My husband and I have very different sailing histories. I was the SORC racer, he was the local small boat putterer. We both vetted our boat and it was a joint decision to own her.

Sailing doesn't HAVE to be sexist, it's just that men tend to have more time for hobbies in general. For instance, most working women I know who have a day off spend it doing laundry, cleaning house, etc. Men are more likely to be out playing golf, etc. Having said that, my own husband is very good at dealing with house stuff and having a hobby too. Our house has been something of a disaster since we bought our boat, but having cushions, sails, batteries, etc, is just part of the package, and I love sailing enough to deal with it.

Every person makes his/her own choice. If a woman wants to be a sailor/boat owner, there's really nothing to stop her. I know, I was lucky to have male mentors who respected my skills and didn't look at me as 'just another girl' but you make it what you want it to be.
i don't usually have to use days off for household chores because i do them after work. i mow as soon as i get home from work, before dinner. dishes get done immediately. i do my laundry at night (sometimes in the wee hours when most sane humans are asleep) and sweep and stuff while the laundry is in.

that way i have my days off for the boat, unless something comes up. i prioritize. sleep is less important than sailing so it gets cut, if need be.

The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.---Captain Jack Sparrow

1971 Cal 27

post #339 of 359 Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
As they say in politics, this is just rallying your base, not mainstream anymore. I can't think of too many examples of this for those under 70.

Sailing is a hobby that both my wife and I have chosen to do together. When we arrived for our cruise on Sat, I had to change the oil, replace a plumbing fitting on the washdown pump buried in the v-berth and install a new 12v TV. In the middle of it all, the bilge pump starts running continuously and I have to replace the float switch.

All the while, my wife is reading her kindle in the cockpit. Maybe sailing is sexist?

She has zero interest in learning how to do these things. I, on the other hand, know how to do laundry and clean, to use your examples. In fact, we each do our own laundry separately at home. I made dinner aboard last night too. A paella with scrod, clams, chorizo, artichokes, red pepper, string beans and tomatoes.
i haven't the slightest idea what a paella or a scrod is but, great post.

1971 Cal 27

post #340 of 359 Old 08-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMaine View Post
This interesting thread answered the original posters question on the first page, and continues to supply the same answer;

The question was not; "Are you sexist?"

The question was; "Is sailing sexist?"

Answer, "Affirmative" At least if you use the current definition of the word.

Definition of Sexism;

sex·ism
ˈsekˌsizəm/
noun
noun: sexism

prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.

synonyms: sexual discrimination, chauvinism, gender prejudice, gender bias
ok. an official definition of sexism. good. now, explain where you have seen it in this thread.

"prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, against women, on the basis of sex."

i have certainly seen it aimed at men (specificaly negative stereotyping). but i haven't noticed any posts that have been anti-woman or aimed at stating that women have no place in sailing. i also haven't seen anyone using anti-woman stereotypes. i have read a few posts recording stories of people dealing with incidents with sexist people but, nothing at all that shows that sailing (as in the activity, sport, hobby, or community) is sexist, as per the definition.

if you don't mind, could you note the ones that fit that definition; so they can be discussed. it's easy to give a general statement that such and such has been proven without siting the actual evidence in support of that statement but, it lacks real merit. using the same statement, with the same wording, anyone could easily argue that the thread continues to prove that sailing isn't sexist...and i could be supported using the evidence in the thread, too.

post number 8 gave what i would consider to be the actual answer, based on your definition.

1971 Cal 27

Last edited by captain jack; 08-05-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in