Electric Windlass on a 35.5? - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By outbound

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-03-2019 Thread Starter

Electric Windlass on a 35.5?

I need help from anyone who has put a windlass on a Legend 35.5. I will be single-handing so having the chain drop down under the V-Berth would seem the best plan. If you have advice, pictures or any support it would be greatly appreciated. (I did see the post by A Lopez, but could not reach him via the email given.) Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-03-2019

Re: Electric Windlass on a 35.5?

Don't know the boat... but its architecture at the bow is very important. Without an anchor locker the chain ends up inside the boat and likely under the V berth or forward of it but open to the V berth. These are not ideal. The chain needs to stack and not pile up and when it does you need to unfoul it which is why an accessible from the deck is what works.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #3 of 10 Old 04-03-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. I have been on a few boats with electric winches and anchor lockers that are very shallow, and it is necessary to stand at the locker and spread or feed the chain every 10 feet when pulling it up. This is fine on a blue sky day, but as a single-hander, you want something that works without having to stand over it and knock it down. That is why I am asking if anyone on this model has used the V-berth locker, so there is 3 feet of drop, added a drain hole and if it all worked out well for them, or not

post #4 of 10 Old 04-03-2019

I agree that having a shallow drop is not ideal, but i'd be concerned about the chain fouling somehow in an area you can't readily get to (don't know exactly what your arrangement is but the V-berth seems like it would be tough to reach in an emergency). How deep is your existing anchor locker?
post #5 of 10 Old 06-18-2019

I installed my own on a 1991 35.5 in 2003 and have been happy, and do it singlehanded. But just used the existing shallow pan and I hand flake it in (I also installed a washdown and do it 3-4' at a time if it's mucky). I did install a remote to drop it and get it set from the helm. Happy to show you pics, but it sounds like you don't want to settle for the anchor chain pan. I have 200' of chain and then 200' of anchor rope (never get to that portion) and use it in the Pacific NW/Canadian Gulfs and Desolation Sound. Important to place the up/down buttons where you can use your knee on them while flaking it in.

Last edited by LoriP; 06-18-2019 at 03:10 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-18-2019

Can you install a slopping aft panel so that the pile is not under the drop?

post #7 of 10 Old 06-18-2019 Thread Starter

Thanks Lori for responding. I have actually decided to use the existing locker as it is, so if you can send your pics I would like to see what you have done.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-18-2019

If you are cruising that v berth is going to be smelly. Also if you use all chain it will effect the trim.
Donít know your boat or the ground tackle you use so these comments maybe irrelevant.
chef2sail and capta like this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2019

Hi jmo2010-
Here are the pics of my installation.
I like having a capstan to rig a hoist for my dinghy, but the same will work without.

I had a donut pad made out of starboard at one place then took it to another to grind it down to a slant, probably not necessary but it looks better to me sitting more vertically. Then used starboard to create a channel from the windlass to the chain "locker" so as not to tear up the deck, I'm in the process of building a new channel (first one lasted 16 years with hundreds of anchoring instances) so it looks newer and I haven't added the side guides yet (just more starboard). I never see the chain hitting the deck between the windlass and the bow roller so do not put any padding there.

Use: I pull the anchor up while on my knees and so have the up/down buttons in a good place to for my knee, and flake the chain into the [shallow] anchor locker pan. I have a healthy respect for the dangers of a windlass so I like the distance, and I can also spray the washdown off to the port side from that location.

Windlass motor is underneath in the v-berth and the solenoid is mounted inside the forward cabin starboard locker. All cables then routed under the starboard bench, through the head, through the wall separating the head from the aft cabin, then over to a new breaker next to the battery switch on the port side of the aft cabin. IMO no need for a forward battery as the cables to charge it from way aft are the same size as that needed to run it.

I also ran a remote up/down switch from the solenoid to the starboard cockpit locker and I can drop the anchor from the helm without the need to be on the bow, but that won't work for bringing it up.

I have 200' of chain and then 200' of rope rode, have used this windlass hundreds of times over the past 16 years and have no regrets as to setup. The most valuable thing to me about having an electric windlass is if you don't like the anchor set, it is not a hassle to reset for peace of mind, and well worth the effort.

Hope that helps, feel free to ask questions. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Windlass installation_1_resized.jpg   Windlass installation_2_resized.jpg  

Last edited by LoriP; 06-20-2019 at 02:45 AM.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2019

Looks like a neat install. Looks like the locker is too small for what you store inside. My V and locker are somewhat similar with significant differences. I have room for the windlass forward of the lid. The locker is quite deep in the front with a shallower section aft which cuts into the V. The total volume seems much larger and I can operate the windlass with the lid open. And the motor is placed on the underside inside the locker. V is completely isolated from the locker, and the motor and the foot switches are on stbd side aft and to the side of the locker with the wiring inside the locker.

Windlass and chain make a huge difference in anchoring.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in