Bracket for OB for Hunter 23 - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Minnewaska
  • 1 Post By mstern

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-2019 Thread Starter

Bracket for OB for Hunter 23

Does anyone know what type of bracket will hold a Mercury 9.9 outboard motor on a 23ft Hunter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-12-2019

Re: Bracket for OB for Hunter 23

Here's a place you may want to bookmark. I did not look to see if it has what you want, but thought it would come in handy, either way. Good luck.

https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/model.php?m=23
Jeff_H likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-12-2019

A couple of things: I take it this is not an in-kind replacement, otherwise you would just buy a new version of what you already have. With that assumption, I think you are asking the question the wrong way; the model of boat is practically irrelevant in buying an outboard bracket. You are buying the bracket to fit the motor.

What bracket fits a 9.9 Merc outboard? There are two big factors to consider: is the outboard a two stroke or a four stroke?; and, how long is the shaft?

Four stroke outboards generate more torque than two stroke engines, and weigh more for a given horse power than two strokes. Most manufacturers rate their brackets for either two stroke or four stroke engines. There are dozens of threads on this and other sites debating whether it is appropriate to put a relatively light four stroke engine on a two stroke bracket that is rated for much heavier engines. I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV, so I will not opine on the subject. But, when replacing the bracket on my Oday 23 a couple of years ago, I did a lot of research and spent a good deal of time on the phone with a very knowledgeable customer service rep at Garelick, one of the biggest names in brackets. He gave me chapter and verse on why I really needed a four stroke bracket for my new four stroke outboard. I decided to go with the four stroke rated bracket, which raised other issues.

My new outboard was a long shaft, just like my previous two stroke outboard. I figured it would be easy to just mount the new bracket on the old "spacer" block (that wedge on the transom that places the outboard far enough away from the transom to tilt it out of the water) and be done with it. Not so fast Popeye. Turns out that the "throw" on the new bracket (it's range of movement) was different than the old bracket. So the entire mounting structure of spacer and bracket had to be moved down about two inches, meaning drilling new holes in the transom. And the base of the new bracket was wider than the spacer, which meant I had two choices: build a new spacer, or make an "adapter" plate so the new bracket would fit on the old spacer. I went with option two.

So before you buy a new bracket, understand that unless you are going with a direct replacement of what you already have, chances are this is going to involve more than just bolting the new bracket to the transom. My advice: when you buy a new bracket that is appropriately sized for your engine (2 v. 4 stroke, weight), duct tape it to where you would mount it. Make a cardboard template of your engine, and "mount" it to the bracket. See if you can tilt the engine the way you need to. Make sure the prop will be appropriately deep. You will know quickly how big a job it will be to make that bracket work.
Jeff_H likes this.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-12-2019
Catalina 400 MKII

Yeah, what Mstern said. Luckily we have a great Mercury Outboard dealer in my neighborhood. I would find such a place and ask them for advice. It's important that the outboard be easily accessable and comfortable to use. Placement is key. Is your engine compatable to using a remote throttle and gear shift? I have used that system on several boats of that size. Seems like overkill, but actually make it safer and more comfortable. Good luck on your set-up.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in