Why are there so many Hunter haters? - Page 15 - SailNet Community
 184Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #141 of 507 Old 07-25-2016
Less Senior Senior Member

Re: Why are there so many Hunter haters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Buy what you want to buy. Then just take care of it and go sail.
This and Jeff H's summary from (way) earlier should be the final. Why did this get revived again?

Ocean- that which covers 3/4 of a world made for man, who has no gills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 507 Old 07-25-2016

Quote:

Buy what you want to buy. Then just take care of it and go sail.
I would add, "and can afford to buy..."

Having a residual cruising kitty, especially one that survives a new engine, is golden.
smackdaddy likes this.
post #143 of 507 Old 07-25-2016

So we can put this to rest already. It's stupid to bash Hunters or for that matter any other brand. There are so few sailors it stupid to,do anything that gives any sailor discomfort be that" mine's bigger than yours", or "Ive done such and such and you haven't so you're not a real sailor". the class sailors don't roll that way. Much rather be surrounded by Macgregors even those with the huge outboards on the back than cigarette boats blasting rap.

We're waiting out expected t storms at the moment off Goat Island. Actually finagled to get Columbia 's mooring for the night. If you want to feed your inferiority complex moor next to me. I'll be the one pointing and going "oh wow will you look at that".

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

post #144 of 507 Old 07-25-2016

Btw Don on the Outbound site everyone trashes Outbounds. Discussion is primarily about the work arounds,how to,fix stuff, sourcing stuff, and how to improve the vessel, or maintain it. Betcha it's the same on the Morris, Hinckley, Swan, HR, or any owners group site.
If that's not going on the Hunters site why follow it? Trash is probably the wrong word but regardless of how much you love something you should always want to be cognizant of its faults and work to mitigate or eliminate them.
At least that's what my wife says before she gets going :-).

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #145 of 507 Old 07-25-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaner97 View Post
This and Jeff H's summary from (way) earlier should be the final. Why did this get revived again?
I think its an interesting question; why do people seem to like to bash Hunter more than Catalina or Beneteau or whatever? My own personal belief is that you can trace the Hunter hate to the fact that Hunter was the first American manufacturer to step outside the bounds of mainstream design. They were the first major American brand to look Euro; they adopted the B&R rig; they used the cockpit arch, etc. Hunter had the audacity to be different, and they are still suffering the blowback. Well, that and their well-publicized quality control problems of about 15 years ago.

I find it mildly surprising that they haven't been able to completely shake off the effects of those circumstances. By many accounts, their QA/QC problems are a thing of the past, and many of their signature design elements are now pretty standard stuff. Forums (Fora?) such as this are invaluable in spreading positive Hunter experiences; they've certainly changed the way I look at Hunters. Based on Smack's fevered writings alone, I no longer assume that Hunters are poorly made and designed. (although I still think a lot of them are butt ugly).
post #146 of 507 Old 07-25-2016
HANUMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
I would add, "and can afford to buy..."

Having a residual cruising kitty, especially one that survives a new engine, is golden.
Yes, If I was going cruising with a couple of kids and a dog or what-knot, I would need a bigger boat and it would probably be a Hunter.

I had actually considered going smaller for a time and buying day sailor. My budget would have gotten me a pretty darn nice little 24ish foot boat.

I purchased what I consider to be the best 30 ft boat I could afford because I decided I wanted a 30 ft boat.

WINDHOVER
1999 CATALINA 36 MKII
NOANK, CT
post #147 of 507 Old 07-25-2016
Banned

I'm putting together a pretty thorough walkthrough of my boat and its design/construction to illustrate how stupid some of the typical forum comments are. I'll put it on my blog when I get a chance.

Facts are always better than BS.
post #148 of 507 Old 07-26-2016
Senior Moment Member

And even more better than recycled BS.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #149 of 507 Old 07-26-2016
bell ringer

Quote:
I'm putting together a pretty thorough walkthrough of my boat and its design/construction to illustrate how stupid some of the typical forum comments are. I'll put it on my blog when I get a chance.

Facts are always better than BS.
Why? That stuff just applies to your Hunter and would be meaningless to the bashers.

To the bashers there is no model differences in the line. To them a problem with say a mast support post on a 1980 Hunter 27 applies to EVERY Hunter. And since only the bashers appear to have extensive experience on every model from every build year, they are the only ones in a position to make great sweeping statements.

As the owner of a 2001 Hunter 410 my position has always been that not all Hunters are good, but that not all Hunters are bad. The only thing you can count on is that what I say about my boat is more likely true than what the bashers say about it.
bob77903 and guitarguy56 like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #150 of 507 Old 07-26-2016

My response is FACT,,,,, not a guess, not maybe, not I think, not could be.......not an opinion.. not conjecture...
I sold Hunters at a Florida dealer in the mid '80's

my respose;experience with Hunter is pre 1987

Cheaply built, flimsy, fine for inshore sailing, hardly fit for coastal work, out of the question for offshore, I was on a brand new 1984 34
that was scary cheap....thin, flimsy, barley adequate for Inshore.

Once a builder gets a reputation, hard to change image.
Have they become a really good builder, I seriously doubt it.
I would not own any Hunter
actually considered a Cheribuni H37. supposedly one of the better built hunters....until I read they screw the deck to hull joint together at the factory..., no bolts, only screws
ummmm no thanks... all above is simply the truth,.... if you don't like it?.....

Last edited by jdThaw; 07-26-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in