New Member - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 Old 06-03-2015

Re: New Member

Happy sailing!

Camile
s/v Obsession
Mountains and Seashore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 06-03-2015 Thread Starter

Will, I leave the valves open all the time. Water won't come into the cockpit because it is above the waterline, just like a straw in a glass of water. Just be sure that your through hull fittings , and the tubes running to the **** pit are sound. If they were to fail below the water line the boat could sink. You may want to clear the the tubes with a garden hose before you launch, as they tend to clog with organic material such as leaves, etc..

I replaced the manual bilge pump under the seat with a new one. It is all I seem to need, as the only water that gets in the boat is rain water which sneaks in through the **** pit seats and the decks.

The jib sheets run through pulleys along the toe rails to the midship winches.
The main sail sheet runs through the traveller at the back of the cockpit. Pretty straight forward.

I'm happy answer any other questions you might have, however I am not expert by any means.
Peter
post #13 of 16 Old 06-09-2015

So the cockpit should self drain even when sitting at the dock?

Did you have to replace any teak? If so, where did you get it? Along the gunwhale I have a few pieces in pretty rough shape that I want to replace.

As for the main and jib sheets, any idea how long they should be and what diameter of rope to use?

I'm pretty much going to plug away at getting everything in good repair and get out on the water and enjoy some sailing.

FYI- The boat is actually a 1979 and was built in cambridge, Ontario.

Will

post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2015 Thread Starter

Will, I didn't notice that you previously mentioned a drain hole towards the front of the keel. Mine doesn't have one there but I did add a drain on one side of my keel towards the rear to prevent water from accumulating and freezing in the winter. If yours is like that you should definitely plug it before launching the boat.��

The jib sheets that came with my boat are made of fine braided white rope, approximately 1/2" thick, and perhaps 20feet on each side. It is actually one piece of rope with an attachment to hook on to the jib in the middle. The main sheet has two double pully blocks with with a mechanism to attach to the traveller car. Too bad that stuff wasn't included with your sails.

As to the teak, if it's only a small amount that needs replacing check with wood suppliers. Hamer Bay Marina, Hamer Bay Marine | Marina on Lake Joseph offering Muskoka boat rentals and BRP Platinum Certified Evinrude E-Tec and G2 outboard motor dealer., on Lake Joseph in the Muskokas used to be a McVay dealer. They might have some trim bits from a scrapped Bluenose. They also keep and maintain a few Bluenoses in their yard. It's a good chance that they were the original dealer for your boat. It think the fellow from parts/service name is Mike. He's friendly and can likely be of some help with your boat.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-02-2015

Good morning All:
Having admired the Bluenose for years, I have just bought what I think is Hull number 327 built in 1977. It was owned for many years by Peter Lockyer in Picton, Ontario. I am in the midst of moving to Prince Edward County where I have been building a new house for the last few years. I think that there are several other Bluenoses around the Bay of Quinte. We will probably find out about each other in due course.

I am going to do some work on the wood over the winter. I may rebuild a few pieces using mahogany since it is more easily obtained and I think easier to work with than teak. Thanks for the sensible advice on checking drains. Remember, they are not self floating! Fill it with water and you will be swimming.

Dick

Last edited by MerlinCanada; 08-02-2015 at 11:51 AM. Reason: To complete sent too soon.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-03-2015 Thread Starter

Congratulations Dick! Looking forward to hear how you make out with your new squeeze.
Peter

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in