Pocket Cruiser - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-05-2013 Thread Starter

Pocket Cruiser

I am a long time sailor of small boats, lasers, Hobie cats, Catalina 22 and now a Sanibel 18. I live on Oak Island in NC and sail near the Cape Fear/Southport area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-05-2013
sunfish?junior?

Re: Pocket Cruiser

Welcome, Have fun ! The title of your thread interested me as I enjoy smaller boats.
Good day, Lou
post #3 of 9 Old 12-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Welcome aboard! I haven't been there (been to other parts of NC, but not near Cape Fear), but it looks like a neat sailing area!

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-05-2013

I am also a long time sailor,Mycurrent boat is a DS 20 ,MK 2 , 1980,#214.with a swing keel.The factory in Odessa Ontario, Canada,,(Diller and Schwill), Closed in 1980,I believe this this may be one of the last ones built,but I cannot be sure.. I have very little information to go on.The forum group I exchanged with seems to have gone off line.Aloha Guy S/
post #5 of 9 Old 12-05-2013

Welcome aboard, jvon!
Guy, check in with AllThumbs here. He is the author of the great Owner review of the DS 20 in the current issue of Small Craft Advisor. he has learned a great deal about the DS 20 over the past few years.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-06-2013

Welcome! The Sanibel 18 sounds like a fun boat. I'm currently restoring a Montgomery 15.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-06-2013 Thread Starter

I am looking for a roller furling headsail for this boat (Sanibel 18)....any ideas? I ordered all new cushions for the cabin and cockpit, also going to paint the boat and replace rigging as necessary...or not and just sail it for awhile!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-06-2013
Tundra Down

Welcome Jvonhorn,

You might look at the "old" roller head sail setup that the Rhodes 22' used. I still have my Rhodes 22. It sits in a field at the farm. I too am a fan of small boats. The Rhodes uses a piece of aluminum electrical conduit with a round flat plate welded around it at the bottom for the reefing line to rest on. The head stay passes down through the entire length of the tube. The tube is held in place on the head stay by two crimped on "beads". I built bearings to support these "beads" using West Epoxy and graphite powder. They fit into the ends of the conduit. The cardboard core of a roll of TP worked as a mold. After drilling the hole for the rigging wire I split the bearings with a hack saw and they fit inside the tube. It worked for years and is still there. The head sail's luff has a pocket running its entire length that slips over the tube. Ss sheet metal screws fix it at the head and the tack. Very simple and effective. The furling line which is the sheet sits on top of the flat plate. Simple and effective. I sailed this rig out of Eastport, ME for 15 years and there were many days when the flaired sides of that boat were on the water. You might be able to build one of these if you can't find something.

Islander-28, Marshall Sandpiper

Last edited by downeast450; 12-06-2013 at 09:44 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-06-2013 Thread Starter

Ingenious approach! I had a roller furling headsail on my Catalina and it was great...Since I am likely to be the one steering, I don't want to send my spouse forward to lower/raise new head sails if the wind changes. I think I can get one from West Marine but they are pricey!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in