Union Pacific, 48' schooner - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 12-30-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Union Pacific, 48' schooner

Hello everyone.
I have not done a "who am I" post in a good long time.
I am a crazy powerboater, who sails. So with that out of the way (I really am crazy), I will tell you about me, us, and our life, and will try to keep it short.
I have been a powerboater for many years. mostly playing around on our 22' bayliner. A neat little boat that got the job done for years. I had stepped up from a 3 person jetski to that.
Well after a few extended trips, including 30 locks on the Erie canal, all I could think was i wanted more, much more. I had a few key places i wished to visit.

Japan, Madagascar, Cook Islands, Galapagos, a theme park in Australia, Europe.
When i started the planning, I wanted to build a Cat myself. I had plans for a 65' Bruce Roberts cat, and was well into the planning stage, when I got married. With the price of diesel, and the uncertain future of diesel, we had to get a sailboat.

After i got married I scrubbed a few of my plans. The motorcycle trip from LA-Alaska, and building my own boat.

So i started shopping for what was the right boat for me. I had thought about a conversion, I even gave thought to using two hulls from aluminum power boats to make a cat.

I spent a good deal of time on dockersfourm (lol) i got the big boot after biting back for the fifth time when someone called me an idiot. What a joke of a forum. you have about 10% active cruisers, 50% of those know what they are doing, and are nice, 20% are jerks that think they know a lot, and the other 90% of the forum are inactive. Be it dock lovers, or cruisers from a bygone era. Those basically sit on the forum all day and tear people apart, calling them stupid, reckless, hubris, and saying they will get everyone killed.
The boot, was my last straw. I still check the classifieds there, but i doubt i will ever return, even after my vacation is up.

Frankly I am a learn as I go type, and like a challenge. I am not afraid to ask the embarrassing questions, or the dumb ones. I feel a lot of people keep these questions in their head, in fear of being town apart from asking them.

In the mean time we are living the dream. We have bought a boat, we have made our first few offshore passages, we do live aboard now, and we are settling in. We are learning what we do like, what we do not like, and making some good mistakes.

I am a diesel mechanic, a wood worker, Computer builder(who started when building a computer was hard) and a general sponge head.

So if you dare, follow me, and our family on our shake down cruises. So far we have gone from Albany NY, to Charleston, SC.

We have a blog,
www.svunionp.blogspot.com S/V Union Pacific
that is updated when there is news, or when we are doing a passage,
and a youtube channel,
www.youtube.com/user/scoobertjoo
always stocked with fresh videos, with over 110,000 views.

Our latest videos from sailing can be found there, including my fun this evening on our dingy!

So I hope you welcome us to your forums. I am always available for diesel advice, so feel free to ask away, or stop in, I can do a quick repair, for cash or a trade of a valuable skill.

Last edited by UnionPacific; 01-01-2014 at 03:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2013

Re: Union Pacific, 48' schooner

schooner is a work that will get me to read almost any thread. Please describe the lady.
Spritz, keel, winches, anything at all. I an landlocked and schooners (I can not afford what I want) send shivers up and down my spine.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Well, its a bit odd. There is no bow spritz at all. There are photos on our blog.
there is a boomkin thou. Our boat has a funny setup, and it took a long time before we realized she was in fact a schooner. When we bought her this year, in june, the PO told us she was a level headed ketch. We spoke to a rigger, with 40++ year experience, who told us it was a schooner, because both sails provided propulsion. They both do.

post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

The keel is a fin keel, and the bottom sits at about 6.5' we have had that on the ground, many times.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

Winches.... we have 11 in total, and that is not enough. If we rigged every piece of cloth we could, foremast genoa, foresail, foremast working jib, mainmast jib, stay sail, main sail. then we would be 6 winches short. So now i must take the time and add clutches. At this very point in time, the boat does not have even one. Its ok thou, we are very new to sailing, and at this point, in the ocean, in the cold, we have not flown more then the foresail, and the jib. On our next passage, I hope to use the genoa for the first time at sea, the foresail, and the mainsail.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

When I brought the yacht home solo, I had all three flying. I have a video on my youtube of that. I was close to 8 knots.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

All i can say DR is get out here now. Get what you can afford, and move out here. Many boats are free, you may not end up in a big PITA schooner, but you will have something. Something, is something. You can anchor out, enjoy life, because tomorrow may never come.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-31-2013

lovely collection of videos on you tube. ELEVEN winches, finally gets me thinking about all those lines on a schooner and how to organize them. That could be a real project for the lone duck that i expect to be.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter
Schooner Captain

yes, it is. and they do not run to the cockpit. the foremast has winches on it too. so raising the foresail requires a trip up on deck. reefing is the same. i want to run them all aft, but that will require 1000's in new line. plus clutches.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-31-2013
Warm Weather Sailor

Hey Scoobi,

I see you've moved over here after they booted you out of the other forum. I think they deleted your thread but it was interesting reading. You still stuck in Charleston? Will be difficult to get further south without the support and guidance they gave you at every turn. Good luck.

Rick I
Toronto in summer, Bahamas in winter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in