My family of four takes on a catamaran renovation and a new lifestyle. - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-31-2013 Thread Starter

My family of four takes on a catamaran renovation and a new lifestyle.

In October of this year, we purchased a 1995 Venezia -our first ever sailboat. Not that this is a particularly original idea, but we like many others before us, have virtually no sailing experience.

Its been an idea (notice I didn't say dream) that we've been working towards for about 7 years and are excited and nervous about this adventure. Along the way, there were definitely times that second thoughts played into irrational decisions that come along with the responsibility of a life-changing way of life.

To compound the difficulty in downsizing a family of four from normal, everyday life on land to one afloat, was that our "new" boat is a project boat and is in need of quite an overhaul before its even ready to go back in the water. We didn't even know if the starboard engine started when we bought her and no sea trial was granted due to the boat's years of neglect. New rigging, bottom job, electronics, etc. are all in order for this re-fit and the work has been non-stop since the purchase.

If you want to check-in or follow the progress, were at Catchin' Rays
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-31-2013
The most female moderator

Dock
Re: My family of four takes on a catamaran renovation and a new lifestyle.

Welcome to SailNet.

To prepare for doing the same thing, this family also lived out of just half of their house for six months before they departed to make sure everyone knew how space would be limited:

Toast Floats

Best of luck to you.

Donna

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-31-2013

Welcome to the forum. You sound like an adventurous soul. Go slow and careful. Ask lots of questions. Call the wife by her proper title "Admiral", be patient with her, teach her what you're learning, do everything together.

Dave

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

post #4 of 4 Old 01-01-2014
Asleep at the wheel

Welcome aboard! It's always neat to see others "living the dream"! Please keep coming back; I'm sure your experience will give you an interesting perspective on a variety of topics.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

The Following User Says Thank You to jimgo For This Useful Post:
catchinrays (01-02-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in