SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hello to all from a Sailnet newbie with a CS36t (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/introduce-yourself/114650-hello-all-sailnet-newbie-cs36t.html)

NorthernPilgrim 01-01-2014 05:30 PM

Hello to all from a Sailnet newbie with a CS36t

I am not only new to Sailnet; I have never before been on a forum of any kind so I am really a newbie here. I have browsed the forum to learn the protocol, and I'm still stumbling around a bit (for instance, I still don't know what a "track back" is) but I'm sure I'll sort it out. Surely, if I inadvertently stray from the straight and narrow, a course correction will be suggested by a helpful member or moderator :D
I have spent several months each year cruising full-time on a pristine and much beloved C&C33-1 that was rigged very much for racing but on which I cruised happily, with family and friends part of the time, and single-handing the rest. Last summer, I decided I wanted a few more amenities, but in a boat that still sails well and of a size I can easily solo. I acquired a 1986 CS36T, which I am still learning and gradually making my own with changes and additions here and there. I recently made my first post on this forum, asking for ideas to guide me in the installation of an anchor windlass. Since I spend more time at anchor than at a dock, after years of weighing anchor manually hand-over-hand and through various makeshift arrangements when alone and with wind and waves up, I decided it was time for a windlass! The otherwise well-designed CS36T has a less-than ideal rode locker for this purpose, so it will be a bit of a challenge and I am hoping Sailnet members will help me ensure my mistakes are minor and not major.
So, I am here to learn, and to contribute what I can, and perhaps make a few friends along the way.

Alex

bljones 01-01-2014 05:36 PM

Re: Hello to all from a Sailnet newbie with a CS36t

Welcome aboard! I think you'll like this place. What is your home port?

boatpoker 01-01-2014 07:14 PM

Welcome Alex, You have acquired what I think is the best built production sailboat on the water (no, I don't own one) :)

eherlihy 01-01-2014 07:27 PM

Welcome Alex.

I agree with Boatpoker, in that the CS36T is one of the best built production boats.

Ask lots of questions to the forum, and take all the responses with a grain of salt... Remember that free advice is frequently worth what you pay for it. After a while though, you'll learn who to listen to.

Good luck with the new boat!

NorthernPilgrim 01-02-2014 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 1263322)

Thank you, BlJ.
Home port is Toronto, at Bluffers Park.

boatpoker 01-02-2014 07:20 PM

Boat name ?

NorthernPilgrim 01-02-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bljones (Post 1263322)

Thank you, BlJ.
Home port is Toronto, at Bluffers Park.

NorthernPilgrim 01-02-2014 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 1263498)
Welcome Alex, You have acquired what I think is the best built production sailboat on the water (no, I don't own one) :)

Thank you, boatpoker! It is always reassuring to hear someone confirm I have made a good choice, especially since I had to give up a boat that I loved.
In answer to your other post below, the new boat's name is Alcyone II.

Alex

NorthernPilgrim 01-02-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 1263522)
Welcome Alex.

I agree with Boatpoker, in that the CS36T is one of the best built production boats.

Ask lots of questions to the forum, and take all the responses with a grain of salt... Remember that free advice is frequently worth what you pay for it. After a while though, you'll learn who to listen to.

Good luck with the new boat!

Thanks! I find that the diversity of opinions voiced on SailNet, taken collectively (and with varying doses of salt) actually do help to inform one's own opinion. Also, I am new to SailNet, but not to sailing. If there were not a range of views and personalities that ran the gamut from the solidly mainstream to the maniac fringe, I would not believe these were sailors! :D

Ranger 39 01-12-2014 08:37 PM

Try the CS West site for technical info from CS owners who have done this. There is a standard mod for the anchor locker that allows for a windless to go in. Ray Walls live in BC. Great fellow.