New and already in trouble - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 Old 01-04-2014

Re: New and already in trouble

Steel boat and cold molded plywood deck. How in the world do you seal the hull deck joint? Perhaps a fiberglass cap covering the joint over the edge of the hull with a ton of gooey sealant in it. Someone here should have a better idea.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 01-04-2014 Thread Starter

The hull to deck joint is all glassed indeed -the whole deck is, see photo.

Regarding the switch to a steel deck... I would be quite concerned about the weight indeed. My boat has 8mm thick steel below the waterline, 5mm above, and so she's quite heavy already (12 tons). I've seen an ad for a similar boat with steel deck and only 5mm thick steel all over the hull and she weighs the same. So I guess switching to steel deck would imply quite an extra weight.

I attach two more photos of the rotten deck (portside) and the redone one (starboard). Do you think that I can go with just replacing the ply on the portside or shall I do the whole lot?

In some articles and books, they talk about just cutting out the core (ply?) without touching the outer skin (glass?). Do you think it is practical here?

Cheers,

Antoine
Attached Thumbnails
hull to deck joint.jpg   rot.jpg   redone.jpg  
post #13 of 20 Old 01-04-2014

Wow.. she looks a lot better on the outside!!

Underdeck is not pretty.. have you checked to see if the wood is actually all soft? Can you push an ice pick or and awl into it easily? What's most concerning to me (based on the interior photos) is that things appear to have been allowed to get very wet for some time - esp down low in the hull - it doesn't look like any sort of coating or corrosion protection was applied to begin with. Where did all that moisture come from??

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

post #14 of 20 Old 01-05-2014 Thread Starter

I know, she does look good on the outside, this is why I tended to trust the surveyor when he told me she was fine.

The previous owner told me that the paint job outside was done three years ago, so I believe the rot problem is older -and the deck has been holding so far. The steel in the bilge and along the side is painted and in good condition, the corrosion is located at the seacocks and along the long deck to hull plate where the ply has been wet. I don't know is she's been all glassed over all her life or if it used to be steel hull/ply deck with some dodgy joint.

I will try and test the softness of the wood.

Thanks all for your opinions.

Antoine
post #15 of 20 Old 01-05-2014

Re-doing it with wood will not improve the situation.
I guess my first question would be how long do you plan on keeping her and what are your plans for her. Ok that was two questions.
You don't have to use steel for the deck there are many aluminum decked steel hulled boats out there.
Of course aluminum is much more expensive than steel but given that the wood you have has some weight to it and it is water logged and covered with glass and resin the weight difference would be minimal as opposed to using steel.
If you were to use aluminum it would probably be even lighter than what you have now.
If you plan on keeping this boat for a while you really need to consider other options for the deck. Given the steel hull, wood is your worst option.
Knowing who designed the boat or what the boats design name is would help us a lot.

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.

Last edited by Dog Ship; 01-05-2014 at 07:47 AM.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-05-2014
Randy Hines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine Antipodes View Post
Hello everydoby,

my name is Antoine, I have boat a yacht 6 weeks ago and have just joined the community as I think I will have plenty of questions -and troubles!

The yacht is a 40' sloop built in 1990 in South Africa, steel hull and plywood deck.

Of course I had a quick inspection and got the boat surveyed before we bought it, but the surveyor 'missed' some issues that are quite concerning.

The seacocks for the water outlets for the sinks in the galley and bathroom are quite badly rusted -I admit I didn't spot it during my inspection neither. I had another boat builder to have a look now and he told me I'd better get the boat out of the water and get the pipes knocked out and replaced (with plastic?)

Second, since I have spent some time on the boat know, I've discovered that the plywood of the deck is badly rotten -see photo (not the worst part!). It looks like all the deck on portside is to be changed, and the one on starboard has obviously been redone already. The cabin roof looks fine apart from few leaks.

So, what are my options here? Should I rip everything off and redeck completely or can I just redo the portside up to the cabin side? And it's glassed on top so can I just cut out or grind nicely the area to be repaired, replace the ply and reglass? Oh, and the chainplate that runs along the hull to deck joint has started to rust in the worst area. Will I have to change it all?

And most important, is it something that I can do, in how long and for how much? And if not...?

Thank you in advance for your help and advices.

Antoine
If any of that plywood decking can be removed intact, it might be useful for patterns for the steel replacing it.
Save what you can and dont throw the baby out with bath water.....
post #17 of 20 Old 01-05-2014

Dock
New and already in trouble

How do you handle electrolysis with a steel hull and an aluminum deck?
post #18 of 20 Old 01-05-2014
Mermaid Hunter

I think you're going to need more help than you will get on the Internet. You can get good information that will help you but someone really has to get a look that is both competent and that you can communicate with effectively.

I am also concerned about the existing thru hulls but I wouldn't run out and arrange for a haul and replacement just yet.

My quick suggestion for a plan:

1. Find a credible and competent engineer that you like and trust who will stay with you for the duration of this project and will work with you for the parts you want to do yourself.
2. Get your engineer to go through the whole boat with you and help you prioritize what needs to be done. If the thru hulls are that bad what else got missed? Priorities: keep the boat floating, get the boat moving, get basic services operating, everything else.
3. Schedule a haul out with the engineer to deal with all the priority issues. Look at cost and decide if you should be back in the water or stay on land.
4. Sit down and schedule what gets done when and how.

I can't see much and don't have boat details so I only have a couple of more thoughts: 1. learn to weld - it is easy and could readily save you a lot, and 2. research the concept of consolidated sea chests - I think the idea may make sense for your boat.

Good luck.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweitz View Post
How do you handle electrolysis with a steel hull and an aluminum deck?
Well, in a word.....zinc's.
Many large and very expensive yachts are built this way. It allows for a larger superstructure on a comparatively small hull without compromising stability.

We have three rules;
No screaming.
No bleeding on the sails.
No slobbering on the charts.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-05-2014
Senior Moment Member

Glass covered ply decks were once common on steel hulls for weight saving. Adhesives like 5200 can seal them together.

They built racing boats that way in Europe 50 years ago and they didn't even have 5200 type adhesives.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Tags
rotten deck plywood rust

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in