New to the forums - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter

New to the forums

Now that I have my first 10 posts out of the way....

Howdy all, registered here to research a new small boat for the family in the next year or so. I used to sail/crew quite bit when I was younger but stopped back in 2009 and am looking to get back into it.

Originally from Michigan I crewed on a friend's, grandfather's boat out of Bayview quite a few times, moved to Raleigh, NC in 07 and crewed out of Little Washington for a year or so.

Had an Isotope Catamaran for a year or so as well.

Times have somewhat changed as I am now looking for a safe, stable 16-18 footer for the wife and I to enjoy with our son (18 months old now) Realistically it will probably be a year before we purchase anything, but I've got the itch again!

Anyways great forums you have here, looking forward hanging around!

Wife at the helm on the Pamlico

Bow monkey on the Chesapeake (Black Seal Cup '09)

Big 'Stella doing her thing on Lake St Clair

goofing off on Jordan Lake
smackdaddy and bljones like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-10-2014

Re: New to the forums

Welcome.. pretty decent resume!

Used boat prices are really getting to an all time low these days, and there are plenty of decent weekenders/overnighters available for reasonable money - suggest something with a bit of a cabin, and even a place to sleep the three of you will enhance the experience greatly.

Even if trailering is a requirement you should do well looking at mid70s to mid 80s 24-26 footers that would do very well indeed and delay the inevitable '2-foot-itus' for a while.
smackdaddy, jimgo and CatMan22 like this.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 17 Old 02-10-2014

I like this guy. Welcome aboard.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 Old 02-10-2014
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
i like this guy. Welcome aboard.
+1.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Kicking around the idea of a tinsie keel boat (like a Luders 16 etc) to keep at my parents place/marina. My main concern with a small boat is stability since we'll have my young son out with us.

Since everyone loves pictures

Mouth of the Pamlico sound at about 5am
post #6 of 17 Old 02-10-2014
Banned

Storz, being where you are a few years ago (a family with young kids just starting out) - I totally agree with Faster. Find something with a cabin. Even a C22 on a trailer would be great - and stupid cheap.

The kids loved hanging out below while we sailed. They played or napped (they got bored really quickly) and we didn't have to worry about them while they were down below.

We started with a C27 that was in the water. Super easy. We were able to enjoy weekenders at anchor, etc. It felt like "cruising".

Storz likes this.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 02-10-2014 at 02:59 PM.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-10-2014
Asleep at the wheel

If you're going to go with Smack's idea, I'd look at the C25/250. It's a nice compromise between the 22 and 27. Still trailerable (especially the newer ones with swing keels), but more room for your family down below, even the "more" family that may come along. The standing headroom afforded by the pop top is really nice, too. We picked up our 1984 C25 for $1000. She was in safe, sailable condition when we got her, and included an engine.
smackdaddy likes this.

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-10-2014 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys, I still think I need to stick in the 18 or under size just for towing and storage reasons. Finding a boat that size more geared for day sailing than racing is proving difficult. If I won the lottery tomorrow it would be a Luders 16
post #9 of 17 Old 02-10-2014

Oday mariner, Siren 17, Sandpiper 19, Montgomery 17, or, my American pocket cruiser favourite, a Seaward Fox 17 would be good choices in that LOA range. Stable, fun, simple. All are also pretty much at the bottom of their depreciation curve. good examples can be found for well under $5K, in most cases under $3K, and can be enjoyed for years and return most, if not all, of the initial purchase cost.
jimgo likes this.

It's 5 o'clock somewhere:

The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
Storz (02-10-2014)
post #10 of 17 Old 02-10-2014
Asleep at the wheel

If you can find them, I'd also add a West Weight Potter or Diller Schwill to the list. The WWP has an especially loyal following, and the DS does too, though not as prominent as the WWP's. I have been told that both sail "like a tub," but that typically comes from those more interested in racing.

That being said, what's the towing capacity on your current vehicle?

- Jim
Home: Western Philly 'burbs
1980 Allmand 31
1975 Albacore 15

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in