Hello! Newcomer here looking for advice! - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 17 Old 02-22-2014

Re: Hello! Newcomer here looking for advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafacond View Post
Ok, Performance Cruising instead of size.
But, what should be my priorities? What would you consider absolutely essential in terms of safety, range and comfort?
Go for a hypothetical worst case scenario where I would have to endure a storm because I wasn't fast enough. What is the best boat/keel/gear for it?
Thanks again Btw
..You'll get as many opinions as responses to wide open questions like that!

The full keel crowd will weigh in, saying you need heavy, full keel, attached rudder, small sturdy rig, etc etc.

Another group will say lightweight but strong, lighter loads, overall faster, etc etc.

I think a good compromise would be a conservative fin keel with an over engineered spade rudder, lots of on-board usable storage, a good cockpit arrangement for the short handed sailor, and a sensible sail plan/sail inventory well set up for reliable, easy reefing. Diesel engine for uncomplicated reliability, a cadillac charging system augmented by solar, and a large water carrying capacity would round out the list.

Truth is, with a 'worst case' storm scenario I doubt a boat exists that could 'out run' them all so ultimately you (and the boat) need to be physically and mentally equipped to deal with whatever might come your way once you leave any coast behind.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 02-22-2014 Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to rafacond

Good.
Any particular manufacturer/model you trust for it?
post #13 of 17 Old 02-22-2014

Even if you bought a brand new boat, there would be additional costs involved to bring it up to what you would find satisfactory. Also size is relative and depends on your likes and dislikes. A boat as small as an Albin Vega 27 for example has crossed oceans and is really quite capable. Bigger as a rule is proportionately more expensive to operate. 34ft in my opinion is a very good size to single hand and is relatively cost effective as to operation.

post #14 of 17 Old 02-22-2014 Thread Starter

I see,
Well, I'll probably get a better idea once i start taking classes and going on charter, but then again its always a good idea to start gathering as much knowledge as possible even before I start with the basics. Browsing around all the ships even before I learn how to properly operate them will give me a better idea of the market and prices so it'll be more likely I'll be trained and prepared to take in only the best deals.
I'm happy, for now taking suggestions as what manufacturers/models are favored around here.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-22-2014
PCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafacond View Post
That was last year, but that life-changing experience made me realize i want to dedicate my life to became a sailor.
... I can buy a blue water ocean cruiser to enjoy with my friends and family.
B...
Olá,

You don't say much and certainly not enough. Ok, you want to be a sailor! That means living on the boat permanently or living in it while sailing on the sailing season?

Friends and family will be living there too? and if not they will sail extensively with you or just now and then? How many are they?

And sailing where? I understand you will bring the boat to Brazil and that means to cross the Atlantic but then you will sail on Brazil, South and North America or do you intend to sail to other continents and eventually to circumnavigate?

Don't forget also the maintenance of a boat is not cheap and increases with size.

This are some questions that need an answer are to be able to give you some help.

Saudações

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-22-2014 Thread Starter

Hello Paulo, good to know there is a fellow countryman here.
Well, I can answer most of the stuff you asked:
1: I'll be dedicating a great deal off my time on the boat, possibly even putting my house on the market for renting. Good satellite internet connection and I'm good to go taking care of business while sailing.
2: Living with me only my wife, friends and family will be always welcomed, but they will go on on their normal routine. My sister, some cousins probably will have time to spend vacation, as will my parents as long as it don't compromise their health, that means probably only coastal cruising with them.
So, so far, only 2 as permanent crew for the heavy duty, but I'm sure we can find some friends now and then who will be willing to go on adventures.
3: Yes, my intention is to go crazy (not Amyr Klink crazy), but enough to take on some really challenging endeavors. We have plenty of time to keep a adventurous life, but now, as we get older, it will be fine to have the comfort of a sailboat to nest while globetrotting.
4: Yes, maintenance and specially insurance worries me a lot, and that is something I'll have to think carefully, but remember, I am aiming for comfort as well not only range, that's one of the reasons I'm stubborn about a bigger boat.
Obrigado Paulo
post #17 of 17 Old 02-22-2014
PCP

It seems you are looking for a voyage boat. I would go for the smaller that will fit my needs and the the newer I could get. An older boat means more costs with maintenance less reliability, less sail performance. I would also look for a boat fully loaded with the needed stuff to voyage. It is very expensive to equip a boat like that but a boat equipped like that for sale can not have a much bigger resale value.

I would start looking at French aluminium voyage boats: OVNI, Allures, Cigale and also Plywood/epoxy RM 1200. A great place to look is Canary Islands. Some start dreaming...but change of ideas on the Canary Islands and leave there the boats for sale....at a nicer price than in the continent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
advice needed , equip , help needed , long distance , new member , ocean voyaging

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in