Hi, new to sailing just bought a boat... (Chicago Burbs) - SailNet Community
Introduce Yourself Welcome to the Sailnet.com - The world's largest online sailing community! Tell us about yourself so we can get to know you.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-15-2014 Thread Starter

Hi, new to sailing just bought a boat... (Chicago Burbs)

Hey guys, I'm in the west burbs of Chicago. I've been interested in learning to sail for a while now. Just got back from a vacation to Mexico where I rented a hobiecat and I was hooked after that.

I had been eyeing a home built boat on craigslist for a few weeks and decided to pull the trigger. It's a home built wood boat Arch Davis Sand Dollar.

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. Also, if anyone else is in the area looking for some help finding some smaller nearby lakes to sail on. So far I've founde Busse Lake in Schaumburb and Shabbona in Dekalb. I saw a small lake in Bolingbrook but sailboats not allowed. Looking for some smaller park district lakes near the Aurora, Naperville, Lisle area if anyone has any suggestions.

Look forward to learning a bunch from this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-15-2014

Re: Hi, new to sailing just bought a boat... (Chicago Burbs)

Pretty boat! Welcome to the forum.

Ron

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
post #3 of 7 Old 05-16-2014

what about that big ol' lake to the east

friends used to powerboat in the chain of lakes in Antioch area.

As a former western suburbs guy...welcome!

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343

post #4 of 7 Old 05-16-2014 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
what about that big ol' lake to the east

friends used to powerboat in the chain of lakes in Antioch area.

As a former western suburbs guy...welcome!
I'm assuming your referring to Lake Michigan? I'd love to get out on Lake Michigan but assumed an 11' boat would be too small to go out there. Could I go out on Lake Michigan on my boat? I'm assuming from reading I've done I'd first need to get a radio and some lights to be allowed out? Also, my sailing experience is basically 2 hours on a hobiecat lol so probably have a bit of learning to do first but I'd love to get out on Lake Michigan if that's a possibility.

Chainolakes was one of the first places I was thinking but every report I've seen online from people with sailboats basically says "did that, way too many drunken powerboaters zipping around, never again." So that had kind of turned me off to that idea.

For starters I was hoping to find some smaller maybe less crowded forest preserve lakes that allow sailing

For now still reading some stickys and trying to learn but hope to learn alot from you guys. Thanks.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-17-2014

Ahoy, Pirate. I'm a frequent visitor to Chicagoland, I've got kids and grandkids in Aurora, Evanston and Highland Park. There are small sail boats sailed and rented on the Tower Road launch in the Skokie Lagoons. Looks like a smallish lake more suited to kayaks which they also rent. Evanston has a municipal small boat rental facility, Sunfish/Hobies, on Lake Michigan. No radios or lights required. I've kayaked in the area several times on rivers and at Busse Woods. It is a lot more difficult to access the big lake around Chicago. Hard to find a public launch directly to Lake Michigan. I'm in Kalamazoo, Michigan and there are a lot of inland lakes around here. Got to love the large inland lakes along the shoreline of Lake M. Lots of free public launch ramps. Have a great summer with your new boat. Dave G
post #6 of 7 Old 05-17-2014

I see people sailing lasers & hobies on Biscayne Bay and the open Ocean (calmer days). Why would an 11 foot sailboat be bad on lake michigan. Maybe sail the inner harbors? As for large lake based forest preserves...well, I'd imagine you can sail the Fox River iself. Just stay away from the dams!

This looks promising in Des Plaines: Lake Park Marina

S/V Jendai
Beneteau 343
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2014

Welcome to the forum!

Allmand Sail 31 #15 "Traveler"
GOD, Family, career

Tags
chicago , illinois , sailing , wood

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in